Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a Fox 40 in the shorter configuration as an AM or XC fork? I have one siting without a DH frame to put it on and was htinking of moving the spacers around and throwing it on my everyday bike. Any thoughts or experiences? I'd be running it at 6" travel setting... Lemme know if you've done this. By the way, I'm aware it's WAY overkill. I'm curious and it's just sitting so I can't help myself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I ride a Fox 40 on my Highline and use it for all kinds of rides. The fork isn't all that heavy, but I think that unless you are putting it on a frame with a fairly re-enforced headtube you might be asking for problems. I would sell it and use a 36 though if you want a true AM fork.

Ryan.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Myarmsonfire, I'm no rookie, I know it's overkill and I wasn't looking for advice on what gear to keep or sell.

I wanted to know if anyone had done this an if so, what kind of problems did you run into besides the weight or poor pedaling or whatever. Thanks guys.I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
mbc4386 said:
Myarmsonfire, I'm no rookie, I know it's overkill and I wasn't looking for advice on what gear to keep or sell.

I wanted to know if anyone had done this an if so, what kind of problems did you run into besides the weight or poor pedaling or whatever. Thanks guys.I appreciate all the feedback.
What kind of problems beside weight, poor pedalling could be said ??? So slap it on and be the first to give a review. FYI I got the winter itch to put a 02' Super T DC on an 02' Spec. Enduro - One ride and the Fox Van. 125 went right back on, ok DH fork, ok trail bike = bad match.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously, I don't want advice. Technical knowledge is all I'm asking for. Is the 40 capable of being run as a 6" all mountain/ XC fork or not? I don't want to know if I should sell it or hear about other brands of forks. I really just want to know if anyone else has had problem arise because they chopped the travel down. Am I going to screw up an expensive fork or not? That's it!

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
mbc4386 said:
Seriously, I don't want advice. Technical knowledge is all I'm asking for. Is the 40 capable of being run as a 6" all mountain/ XC fork or not? I don't want to know if I should sell it or hear about other brands of forks. I really just want to know if anyone else has had problem arise because they chopped the travel down. Am I going to screw up an expensive fork or not? That's it!
1-800-fox-shox

·
I Have Cookies
2,643 Posts
I don't see why not most of my friends have enduro's with the spec dc forks on them and I think they are just smaller versions of the fox 40 and they rock on our xc singletrack!

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
ae111black said:
I don't see why not most of my friends have enduro's with the spec dc forks on them and I think they are just smaller versions of the fox 40 and they rock on our xc singletrack!
The OP doesn't want to hear about other forks or bikes ;) He wants to know if a fork intended for DH can be used for XC or AM . I drove my Hummer to buy grocerys today was that ok ?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I don't see why not. It's not terribly heavy. Heck my first 3" fork probably was heavier. I use a Totem coil on my do-it-all bike and it's fine. Having a fork that stiff is pretty sweet. Sure it's overkill but overkill can be fun.

I'd have 2 concerns.

1. Would the dampening be too DH-ish? If you can dial it to behave more like a trail fork go for it.
2. It's a dual-crown and I like having the flexibility of a single-crown on XC/AM trails.

If you can get past that you're all set.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
mbc4386 said:
Thanks for all your wisdom Keen.
Your question doesn't make total sense - "Is the 40 capable of being run as a 6" all mountain/ XC fork or not"

"Capable" It's a DH fork it's not going to break but as said it won't pedal as well (dampning) and weighs more. What do you really want to know ??? Here is the travel spec's from Fox.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

1.Determine the desired 40 travel setting. Travel is determined by the amount of spacers either on top of the coil spring and/or attached to the spring plunger shaft.

40 Travel Spacer Settings:
Travel Setting
# of Spacers Under Topcap
# of Spacers on Plunger Shaft

8.0" (203 mm)

7.5" (190 mm)

7.0" (178 mm)

6.5" (165 mm)

6.0" (152 mm)

·
Registered
370 Posts
mbc, I am a little unclear as to what you are asking, you ask for "any thoughts" and people give you thier thoughts and then they get ripped on.

I think the Hummer one was the best. You sound like you know what you are talking about.

I would think outside of weight and how it could effect your geometry (depending on how you have it set up), it would work just fine, but that answer is so damn logical, I am struggling to understand what you are really asking.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,912 Posts
winner:band:

rodH said:
mbc, I am a little unclear as to what you are asking, you ask for "any thoughts" and people give you thier thoughts and then they get ripped on.

I think the Hummer one was the best. You sound like you know what you are talking about.

I would think outside of weight and how it could effect your geometry (depending on how you have it set up), it would work just fine, but that answer is so damn logical, I am struggling to understand what you are really asking.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm very unclear on this. the specialized e160 DC is 100% acceptable as an AM fork, but the 40 will be the worst thing ever. Throwing a 180mm totem or 66 is normal and dandy, but a shorter fork is stupid?

I think it'll be sick. It'll track better and feel way smoother then most of the forks on the market, it'll be stiffer and feel way better. Go for that sh1t!

·
Registered
754 Posts
mbc4386 said:
Thanks for all your wisdom Keen.
People here aren't dumb... I'm surprised you've seen as many positive responses as you have given your whiny-ass attitude.

What are you hoping someone will say? Do it? It's awesome? There is no "technical" issue with running your fork at 6", providing you know how to service and adjust the fork to set it up at this length.

Although plenty of solid reasons have been given above, you seem pretty set on throwing a World-Cup DH fork on a trailbike... So go for it. How will it ride? Probably pretty boring. It will be damp and compliant, and it will be a real ***** to ride trail with because it's simple not setup for the rider inputs involved in climbing and slow speed obstacles on the trail.

Go ahead, whine again when you don't like this reply.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Berkley said:
It irritates me to no end when someone talks about riding XC on AM/Freeride/Downhill components.

Using a Fox 40 for "XC" is just stupid, period.
I think the reason people do this sometimes is because DH bikes look bad ass and everybody wants one. I admit it, I think they are the best looking bikes as a group out there. I use to race DH and love the sport. I never do shuttle or resort runs anymore so it would be pretty stupid for me to have a $8000 DH sitting in my garage. I think the alternative is that people start throwing DH parts on an AM bike. We all know it makes NO sense but let them do it anyway. It reminds me of when I surf with one particular friend. He always brings a board that is too short for him and the cnditions (in the surf world it is cooler to be seen with a shorter board , some think it means that you are a better surfer). The guy would do better and have more fun on a board 2-3" longer and everyone tells him that, but he never listens.

My desir to have a DH bike is a little tempered since I have a pretty tricked out crf450 thati actually get to ride for it's given purpose.

The OP is kind of like a patient that has gone to 3 drs for a second opinion. He is just going to keep asking until he hears what he wants to hear.

It Actually pretty simple. Fox doesn't market the 40 to the AM crowd for a reason. I isn't that hard to figure out why.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.