Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
really? THAT'S WHAT THOSE ARE FOR!:p :D

...I'm just trying to compare my setup to other setups and see if I could change anything on mine
I think the point he's making is that different people have different preferences, places they ride, speeds, types of riding, etc. I have my shock set up differently for fast flowy loose stuff and for rocky technical stuff. It would help if you could pinpoint areas that you want improvement. For instance, does it seem like your rear end sinks down to much in corners? do you get alot of kickback in high speed rocks? The best advice I can give if you want your suspension to work well is learn as much as you can about how it works, and then you can pinpoint areas that are bothering you.

Otherwise, run some high speed, some low speed, some pressure in the boost chamber, and call it a day.

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
setting it it up for mostly intermediate terrain

roots and rocks...not super smooth stuff, but not trails where you're barely hanging on and going less than like 10mph

it corners well, but in some rougher sections, the front end doesn't feel like its absorbing enough; I still feel some vibrations....I've got zero low speed compression, and zero high speed compression

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
First off, what weight spring are you running on the DHX? At 135 you should be running probably about a 250# or 300# depending on how much sag you want.

I don't ride a Chumba F5 (I know...its a shame) but I do ride a Single Pivot DH bike (Turner DHR), and I have a 450# Spring, 75 PSI in the Boost Valve, Super Slow Rebound, Minimal Pre-Load and no Pro Pedal, I do weigh 190 though. I like a soft rear suspension feel with a more active front. It's hard to tell you how you should tune your bike since everyone likes things differently. My rule of thumb is to start playing around with the most basic adjustments (Spring Rate, Preload, Rebound), and then fine tune it from there. You should have no Pro-Pedal though, since you are DHing.

P.S. Northstar closed, and I know you ride Bay Area...FYI, we don't have "rough" sections. How do I know? I live in the Bay Area...JMP isn't exactly "rough".

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Raptordude said:
First off, what weight spring are you running on the DHX? At 135 you should be running probably about a 250# or 300# depending on how much sag you want.

I don't ride a Chumba F5 (I know...its a shame) but I do ride a Single Pivot DH bike (Turner DHR), and I have a 450# Spring, 75 PSI in the Boost Valve, Super Slow Rebound, Minimal Pre-Load and no Pro Pedal, I do weigh 190 though. I like a soft rear suspension feel with a more active front. It's hard to tell you how you should tune your bike since everyone likes things differently. My rule of thumb is to start playing around with the most basic adjustments (Spring Rate, Preload, Rebound), and then fine tune it from there. You should have no Pro-Pedal though, since you are DHing.

P.S. Northstar closed, and I know you ride Bay Area...FYI, we don't have "rough" sections. How do I know? I live in the Bay Area...JMP isn't exactly "rough".
I haven't been to jmp before...and I was thinking about crack and mile as the "rough"

and yea, I've got it setup with no propedal, 300lb spring

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
setting it it up for mostly intermediate terrain

roots and rocks...not super smooth stuff, but not trails where you're barely hanging on and going less than like 10mph

it corners well, but in some rougher sections, the front end doesn't feel like its absorbing enough; I still feel some vibrations....I've got zero low speed compression, and zero high speed compression
LSC is your friend, use it! I like lots of LSC in the front and rear, sadly the DHX has no true LSC adjustment, just the Pro-Pedal BS. On my 40, I run 4 clicks away from fully closed (towards the +) on the LSC. I used to stay away from LSC like it was a plague but a friend sugested it and it makes a world of difference. It stays higher in it's travel, durring both hard cornering and breaking, leaving more available when you need it. It opens right up when the going gets rough.
The DHX performes best with 130PSI in the boost valve and zero Pro-Pedal. Start with your HSC (Bottom out according to Fox) all the way open, do a run. Did you bottom out harshly a lot? Add a click of HSC. Repeat until you no longer bottom out harshly, but are still using all your travel. Rebound, set to taste, somewhere between not packing down in choppy sections (too much rebound damping, ie: too slow) and not getting bucked off jumps and drops (too little rebound damping, ie: too fast).

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I don't know why people think LSC is the enemy....Too much and the bike starts feeling "dead" to me and it doesn't feel springy when I compress the suspension, it doesn't pop well of jumps etc, but for the most part all it does is serve as something that keeps the suspension very stable as you hit stuff. You'll have more travel to use and in general things will actually be smoother.

I have heard that 40's will start to spike if you crank the LSC adjuster all the way up, but as I've never had long periods of time on one, never gotten to play with the comp settings, and as there are several different iterations of the 40, I'm not sure how true that is. I'd start by adding some LSC and some HSC. If you stop using most of your travel, drop a springrate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I weight the same as you 135lbs, I have an 09 40 and I use the Purple spring, 2 or 3 clicks for rebound, about 8 clicks for LSC and 4 for HSC, all of these are from completely open.
I find that this setup works pretty well for most tracks
You should take into consideration, that the damping on the 09 40 is different than the previous models, this might work on the 08 as well, but if you have a previous model, the setup will be different for sure.
In regards to the rear shock, your best bet is call Fox and/or Chumba and ask what is the recommended setup, and go from there.

·
Underweight Rider
439 Posts
Didnt your F40 comes with 3 springs? i am almost the same weight as you but dont ride a F5, i run the softest spring on my 36VanRC2 and a 250lbs spring on my dhx5coil if thats any help.
fork:
rebound 6 RET
LSC 7 RET
HSC 6 RET

Dhx5coil:
rebound 7 RET
PP - off
BO 2 RET
125psi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.