Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A word of caution - do not over tighten your pinch bolts!

Just came back from a weeks vacation in the English Lake District. It was supposed to be a mix of hill walking and epic trail riding on my new Nomad, but the night before we were supposed to be going - hello, what's that on my 36 RC2 drop out? Is it a pinch slot? No!!! It's only a bloody crack!! And there's one on the other drop out too!!

The crack was where the four pinch bolts screw into the black barrel at the rear of the dropout. I took the bike and forks to my LBS for them to return to the importer to see if this was down to a manufacture defect. Initial response from importer was that forks had been over tightened beyond the 19lb/in detailed in the manual. After a few phone calls to the importer informing them that I had especially bought a torque wrench as i had no idea of how 19lb/in felt to the touch and that if they did not sort this under warranty i'd chase them for the cost of the hotel for the weeks stay as well! The forks should be back today, repaired under warranty!!

All this on top of having to return my dhxa two weeks ago due to a seized rebound adjuster. I'm struggling to retain confidence in Fox at the moment.

On a side issue, i weigh approx 200lbs and to get 20mm (approx 30%) sag from the dhxa i'm having to run about 270psi. I've got 110 psi in the boost valve with bottom out all the way out, pro-pedal completely off and rebound about 5 clicks back from full on. I mainly do aggresive trail riding, no great drops or jumps - do these settings seem to be in the ball park or are they way off in comparison?

·
noMAD man
12,209 Posts
Sounds like you need a much higher boost chamber pressure...maybe more along the lines of 150psi or so to start with. I too have a Van 36 fork and a DHX Air rear shock. On the second ride the rear shock developed a stuck down condition. I've had no issues with the fork. Many of the posters here and on the Turner forum have provided some very good tuning info from their experiences with the DHX Air, which is a fairly different air shock. Do a search on this forum for posters "Renegade", "Mk", and others on posts regarding the DHX Air or air shocks in general.

On the DHX Air there are some really mixed reviews. A lot seems to depend on the suspension design the shock is installed on, proper setup, and even a lot of just plain old personal preference. It's kind of shocking (he, he) to see some of the guys on the DH/FR using on some of their big hit trail setups with very good reliability. I'll bet some of our earlier issues with the DHX Air will be sorted out, and it will become a very viable standard just like the DHX coil has become. Of course that doesn't help at the moment, but sometimes that's the price of being first on the technology bandwagon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
BLUR'b said:
A word of caution - do not over tighten your pinch bolts!
True, true... Had the same thing. And as in the BLUR'b tale - Fox also replaced lowers without any cost. For all those Fox 36 owners that how hasn't got a torque wrench and now think "How tight is 19 lb/in ?" here is my answer:

19lb/in (aprox. 2 Nm) is when You start feeling any resistance from the bolt + 72 deg. (1/5 of the full circle). Belive me - it's not too tight...

Regards,
serhij

1 - 3 of 3 Posts