Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last Wednesday, I walked into my LBS fully intent on ordering up an 05 Z-1 FR1. Before putting in my order, I was headed over to the Fork wall to scope any new inventory that might have come in, when I noticed what looked like a sh1t stain on the wall. As I approached, and my eyes adjusted to the dimming light, I realized that I wasn't beholding a smear of feces, but the new Fox 36, in poo brown!

Long Story short, I walked out with the 36, and am happy to say I did. So far the fork has seen about 60 miles of St. George terrain, including the following trails:

Green Valley
Rockville Bench(Slickrock Swamp)
Barrels to Green Valley
Gooseberry Mesa
Little Creek Mesa

Initially I set the fork up exactly the way Fox recommended. I added 90 psi for my 230 lb gut, and ran about 5 clicks of HS compression damping. The first two rides the fork felt a bit harsh, so for the ride on the Barrels, I dropped the air pressure to 80 psi, and finally found it's sweet spot. Two things about the fork that I liked immediately, were the fact that it is super stiff, and the fork doesn't dive in steep technical sections, or when you stand up to hammer. I actually didn't feel the bottom of the fork, until my 4th ride at Goose. To remedy this problem, I added 2 more clicks of HS Compression, and added 10 Psi. After that, I was hitting up to 4 and 5 foot low speed pedal kick drops to flat without bottoming. I didn't need to touch the LS compression, because the fork felt fairly compliant on the small stuff, and didn't dive at all.

This fork is the perfect trail, and FR fork for people that want a light weight, and very adjustable fork. It doesn't feel as buttery smooth as a Z-1, but by the same token, it doesn't bob or dive like a Z-1.

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
irieness said:
drops to flat are so hawt right now...

nice pic and review... :D
I know drops to flat suck, but when you ride Goose, and Little Creek a ton, good tranny is hard to find. Most of the drops I do on these trails are low speed pedal kick type drops. The only way to really avoid that ugly impact, is to suck it up with your legs.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong....I love Zoke. They are super easy to set up, and work on, and are basically bomb proof, but the new poo is so bling! My Heckler basically wreaks of a cheap build, so I was trying to salvage it's appearance. Now my Heckler is like a Cholo, with a gold chain.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Butter smooth is action desending, but anyother part of the trail its a bob-machine. Even little short inclines that require fast sprints can be come a pain in the arse, like most of Gooseberry and for those hills that have last few feet that you need to just stand up on the pedals to mash, the fork will dive so much you dont get anywhere. Sounds like I need a Fox 36!

Im guessing your keeping the fork and not selling it with the Heckler, so where will it reside after? Would it work on the Free?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
El Chingon said:
Don't get me wrong....I love Zoke. They are super easy to set up, and work on, and are basically bomb proof, but the new poo is so bling! My Heckler basically wreaks of a cheap build, so I was trying to salvage it's appearance. Now my Heckler is like a Cholo, with a gold chain.
all good thanks for the review....let us know more in a month

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
El Chingon said:
I know drops to flat suck, but when you ride Goose, and Little Creek a ton, good tranny is hard to find. Most of the drops I do on these trails are low speed pedal kick type drops. The only way to really avoid that ugly impact, is to suck it up with your legs.
hey...I hit drops to flat everytime I hit the local DH trail too...I just love to give myself the 5 minute cankles off them... :p

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fork is going to stay on the Heckler, until SC starts selling the Nomads. As for putting the 36 on a VP Free? No way. The Free is a big bike that wants big air. The 888 is the perfect compliment to the Free. If you were going to have only one do it all bike, then I would opt for the Nomad with the 36. I have a feeling that after the 36's first oil change, that the fork will really come to life.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
El Chingon said:
The fork is going to stay on the Heckler, until SC starts selling the Nomads. As for putting the 36 on a VP Free? No way. The Free is a big bike that wants big air. The 888 is the perfect compliment to the Free. If you were going to have only one do it all bike, then I would opt for the Nomad with the 36. I have a feeling that after the 36's first oil change, that the fork will really come to life.
I love the after break in period

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Nice review there Mr. guinea pig.... ;)

You're probably one of the few people whose poopy 36 compliments the color of their bike.

I'll be waiting for your review of the Nomad..........unless I buy one 1st......... :D

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gonzostrike said:
I"m gonna forecast the future and guess that soon enough someone will have a pic of your bro-in-law BREAKING the Weyless, if he keeps riding that way.
I don't know man...that bike is a year old, and it has taken a beating. I haven't heard of any of the XP's breaking yet, only the SP's, and 67's.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cannot divulge the price I got, but the retail on them is $995.00. I bought it from a shop here in St. George called Desert Cyclery. They hook me up with deals that are better than online stores.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
That's exactly the review I've been looking for! Great post El Chingon. I'm about 95% sure that I'll be purchasing a 36RC2 as soon as I get another $400. (I got stuff for sale for those who want. :D ;) ) Sounds like you're about my size, maybe a bit bigger so its nice to see how you have it setup. :)

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I'm about 95% sure that I'll be purchasing a 36RC2 as soon as I get another $400. (I got stuff for sale for those who want. :D ;) )
Wait a minute.....you're actually gonna purchase something.... ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.