Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy with the performance of my 08 vanilla 36 rc2, issues:
--small bump compliance, way to harsh taking a toll on my hands through my arms
--ramping up in travel, I feel like the coil should be much smoother throughout its travel
--not getting full travel- even coming up way short on tables im still 1inch away from full travel

im about 180 with gear, on stock blue spring. fork has 10 rides or so on it so it should be broken in and I currently have all the setting on the min for low/high and only a few clicks of preload.

I plan on adjusting the bottom out dampener which I hope will get me to full travel.

As for the small bump issue im trying to figure out what to do. This is where I am looking for feedback from others!!! While the fork is apart I am going to switch to enduro seals. I think I am going to swap in some lighter weight oil in the baths, from 7-5wt. and maybe from 10wt to 7 in the damper(not sure if thats a good idea or not yet).

Anything else I should try to get coil fork to be buttery smooth??

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Have you checked your semi-bath oil???

All the symptoms point out that you don't have any left... or you had not any oil put from factory. It has happened.

Jerk_Chicken made a nice tutorial and also Fox's instructions are available on their homepage clear as they come.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why not try a lighter spring? Just because you're 180 and running a blue doesn't mean it's a good spring for you. I'm 200 and running a blue and it takes some pretty rough terrain to chew up all the travel. Just seems more logical as a first step than all the changes you're proposing IMHO.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Warp said:

All the symptoms point out that you don't have any left... or you had not any oil put from factory. It has happened.

Jerk_Chicken made a nice tutorial and also Fox's instructions are available on their homepage clear as they come.
I agree with this, drain and refill the bath oil before changing the seals or anything else. My Van36R improved a fair bit in harshness after this (although I'm still not ecstatic about it). One side of the lowers seemed to drain very little oil, so the rumors that they are not always properly filled from the factory may be true.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Be aware the enduro seals will increase stiction a tad. I used them for over a year and went back to the fox seals (they sent me new ones for free), and there is a definate difference between the two. I have an 06' with many miles and it's butter smooth. I know they changed the damping on the 08' models but haven't ridden one. I'm really supprised you can't get full travel. Take the coil spring out and compress the fork. If the compression damping feels too stiff, I would first try 5wt oil in the damping cart. and go from there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warp said:

thanks for the link..i would have never found that in the DIY. Fox directions are great too. unfortunately its not the actual maintenance that the issue, its how poorly the vanilla feels compared to my experience with the 32mm.
As it truns out there was less than adequate bath oil especially in the spring side. I took the fork apart put 7 weight oil in the baths and swapped to the enduro seals.

LAKESNAKE said:
Be aware the enduro seals will increase stiction a tad. I used them for over a year and went back to the fox seals (they sent me new ones for free), and there is a definate difference between the two. I have an 06' with many miles and it's butter smooth. I know they changed the damping on the 08' models but haven't ridden one. I'm really supprised you can't get full travel. Take the coil spring out and compress the fork. If the compression damping feels too stiff, I would first try 5wt oil in the damping cart. and go from there.
enduro seals are def tight, not only do they not sit so great on the lowers there is definitely more stiction so lakesnake you are dead on.

Im going to wait to get in a real ride or to and not just driveway playing so i can see how it feels now nut something tells me I may have to go with 5wt in the damping cart.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Yeah, I changed mine to a lighter spring over the weekend, and with the spring out of the fork, I pumped it up and down they moved easily, with a slight ramp up in the last 1" of travel, which I assume is the bottom-out curcuit. With the purple spring, mine feel much better, but I'm 150lb.

Mikey_C - like lakesnake suggested, remove the spring and see how the fork feels without it, before you start changing oil weights, or maybe spring, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mikey_C said:
thanks for the link..i would have never found that in the DIY. Fox directions are great too.
sorry for the noob question, but where's the link? I've been searching for 15 minutes now and can't find a good Van36 rebuild tutorial from Jerk_Chicken... help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.