Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fox 36 Vanilla R and have it set up with the extra heavy spring as I am 240lbs. I have this fork mounted on my Bullit. I have read complaints about these forks not being progressive and blowing through all their travel but I have never had that experience with the fork at all. But, here's my question. Is anyone not getting all the travel out of their fork? I get just under 5" and that is consistant. I've done jumps and drops and can't seem to get beyond that 4 7/8" of travel. At first I just thought the fork was very progressive but now am beginning to wonder as I have done 6' to flat numerous times and still the travel stays the same.

What has your experience been?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
I'm 145# and have managed to bottom my Van36 with stock spring once on a miscalculated manual onto a rock that was sticking out. Heard it bottom but could barely feel it (very soft bottom). But I would only use about 5" most of the time. This holds true for all 150-160mm travek fork I've owned. I only bottom out on really hard, front weight biased, landings. But I guess that's the whole point, isn't it? That last inch is reserved for the really hard hits.

You may want to try a softer spring.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heavier spring?

SCUBAPRO said:
I'm 145# and have managed to bottom my Van36 with stock spring once on a miscalculated manual onto a rock that was sticking out. Heard it bottom but could barely feel it (very soft bottom). But I would only use about 5" most of the time. This holds true for all 150-160mm travek fork I've owned. I only bottom out on really hard, front weight biased, landings. But I guess that's the whole point, isn't it? That last inch is reserved for the really hard hits.

You may want to try a softer spring.
Yeah, that seems logical except that I'm 240lbs. I can't imagine that anything other than the extra heavy spring would be appropriate. I do have a heavy spring that I could try. My gut feeling is that it's something else to limit the travel. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Oddly you can't always apply logic to setting up a suspension fork's spring rate...usually but not always. People are different, the riding is often different, etc. I'm 185# without gear, and I had to swap to a lighter spring than what came in my Van 36. I ride very rocky, technical terrain but don't huck or drop any heights of consequence. Lots of bike folks tend to set up their bike suspensions too harsh. The Van 36 should get all its travel when you get the right spring for your weight and riding.

67, did your fork come with the other springs like most aftermarket models do?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Springs with fork

TNC said:
Oddly you can't always apply logic to setting up a suspension fork's spring rate...usually but not always. People are different, the riding is often different, etc. I'm 185# without gear, and I had to swap to a lighter spring than what came in my Van 36. I ride very rocky, technical terrain but don't huck or drop any heights of consequence. Lots of bike folks tend to set up their bike suspensions too harsh. The Van 36 should get all its travel when you get the right spring for your weight and riding.

67, did your fork come with the other springs like most aftermarket models do?
Hey TNC!

The fork I bought only came with a heavy spring installed. I ordered the extra heavy spring from Fox. I never even tried the heavy spring before. I installed the fork after installing the Extra Heavy spring. I am a pretty smooth rider but a drop to flat is a drop to flat and I would expect more travel to be used than just under 5". I think I'll install the heavy spring and see what happens.

Wait a second, how are the springs color coded? I just took a look at the teck section of the Fox website and it says the lightest spring is black. The spring I replaced had a heavy black plastic shrink wrap around about 3 inches in the middle of the spring. I don't remember seeing any painted areas. As for the extra heavy spring I put in the fork I don't remember how it was color coded. I'll take it out later and see.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, several thoughts here. First and foremost, you need to measure your sag. Use a zip tie and balance with your weight in "attach position" on your bike. Divide travel used by 160, should be around 20-25% for xc/am riding.

Also, fox would hate for you to know this, but the standard error in their springs (at least for coil rear shocks) is around 25%. That is an alarming number... Turned out my 450lb spring was actually rated at 343 lbs/in... Yikes fox... I imagine the same might apply for fork springs.

With the proper spring and oil weight/level you should be bottom your fork on occasion... I know that i can get the full 180mm out of my totem, similarly, my 66 would bottom at full 170.

Take it to an lbs and call fox if your sag is on target.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
67, I don't think the color of the shrink wrap was the indicator. It should be paint on the spring...and it may not be exceptionally bright, but it should be readable. If yours is the heaviest, it should be yellow. Next lightest is the green and below that is the blue.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paint on Springs

TNC said:
67, I don't think the color of the shrink wrap was the indicator. It should be paint on the spring...and it may not be exceptionally bright, but it should be readable. If yours is the heaviest, it should be yellow. Next lightest is the green and below that is the blue.
Hey TNC! I really appreciate your help along with the others that have given input. I checked the spring in the fork and it is yellow so it is the ex-heavy spring. I also checked the spring that came with the fork and it is in fact the green spring. I had to get it into the sunlight to see the green paint. I put the green spring in and I was able to get correct sag. With the ex-heavy spring I only got about 1/4" of sag. I tried the bike out in the back yard with a small jump and got about 5" of travel where as before I would have gotten about 3". So, I'm off to give it a try on the usually jumps and drops and see how it performs. Hopefully it will not be too soft. I'll post my results this evening.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eureka

Well, I installed the heavy(green) spring in my fork and took it for a ride today. I now bet about 1 1/4" more travel than I did with the yellow spring. So, maybe what TNC said about fluctuations in actual Fox spring rates is correct. I think the yellow extra heavy spring is actually an double extra heavy spring and the heavy green spring is actually an extra heavy.

I'm glad to have this sorted out. Thanks to all who offered their help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had a 06 36VanR which came stock with the blue (I think medium) spring. It was very nice for trail riding and smaller stuff, but bottomed out really easily on even the smallest drops with my weight being ~163lbs. So I ordered a one step harder spring, the green one, and the problem of constant bottoming out went away. However, the fork became a bit harsh/unresponsive on small stuff, atleast when compared to the softer spring. I remember reading that Fox made some improvements to 07 forks correcting these issues, ie. making the fork more progressive, but haven't tested one. I think I'm going for Totem as my next fork although my 36 wasn't really that bad (sold it).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
36 Vanilla R to a Totem

mehukatti said:
I had a 06 36VanR which came stock with the blue (I think medium) spring. It was very nice for trail riding and smaller stuff, but bottomed out really easily on even the smallest drops with my weight being ~163lbs. So I ordered a one step harder spring, the green one, and the problem of constant bottoming out went away. However, the fork became a bit harsh/unresponsive on small stuff, atleast when compared to the softer spring. I remember reading that Fox made some improvements to 07 forks correcting these issues, ie. making the fork more progressive, but haven't tested one. I think I'm going for Totem as my next fork although my 36 wasn't really that bad (sold it).
I like the Fox ok as it is light and stiff enough to make it a point and shoot fork but I'm think I'd like more travel and adjustability. I am considering a 2006 66RC2X and the Totem. The Totem is my first preference but they are about double what I can pick up a 66 for so I am leaning towards the Marzocchi. I'm also considering going back to a double crown fork like a Boxxer Team or 888RC2X . I'm really torn but price is definitely a big factor for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.