Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about an upgrade to a thru axle fork for my 08 ETSX-Team to stiffen up the front end a bit. I'm currently running a TALAS 32 RLC QR with Easton Havoc wheelset. Would moving to the TALAS 36 be overkill for an ETSX? Seems like another 20mm of travel could be useful once in a while, but realistically I'd probably run it in the 130mm setting most of the time. My primary consideration is being able to take advantage of the 20mm thru axle option with the Havocs.

Thoughts?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It sure would be a lot of extra weight to get a 20mm axle.

You likely would risk the frame around the headtube running it beyond 140mm as it's a fairly light duty frame to have that much fork leverage applied to it.

Easton has a 15mm thru axle adapter for the Havoc, so a 32mm TALAS 15mm thru axle would be an option

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEELS/09/wheel_havoc_'09.html

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pt3r said:
How about a 2009 Talas 32, that one comes with a 15mm axle.
Thought about that too, but there is some debate as to if the new 15mm standard is significantly stiffer than a QR. Based on one german test it seemed the difference was pretty small. I need to figure out just how much the Fox 36 forks raise the front end, my impression is its more than just the 20mm of travel difference, which could negatively affect the handling.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockyuphill said:
It sure would be a lot of extra weight to get a 20mm axle.

You likely would risk the frame around the headtube running it beyond 140mm as it's a fairly light duty frame to have that much fork leverage applied to it.

Easton has a 15mm thru axle adapter for the Havoc, so a 32mm TALAS 15mm thru axle would be an option

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEELS/09/wheel_havoc_%2709.html
The additional stress on the frame is definitely a valid concern, especially given I seem to do a good enough job breaking ETSX frames as it is!

Yeah, I saw the 15mm option being offered for the Havoc now but would prefer to go 20mm if I'm going to bother. Rockshox's Maxle light seems to narrow the weight penalty somewhat, so perhaps I should be considering their shocks instead. I love the Reba that I run on my race bike.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rockyuphill said:
The A2C on the TALAS 36 is higher than the TALAS 32.

The 36 TALAS at 130mm travel will have an A2C of 515mm and the A2C of the 32mm TALAS at 130mm travel was 500mm. The newer 140mm TALAS 32mm would be 510mm A2C.

Fox 36
View attachment 421589

Fox 32
View attachment 421590
An additional 35mm of A2C height is too much, forget that idea! TALAS 36 is really for bikes such as the Slayer. Rockshox Pike with 140mm travel has 10mm less A2C, but offers 20mm thru axle... hmmm...

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rmccully said:
What about a Rockshox Revelation with Maxle light? Would that be stiffer than a QR Talas 32?
Ah, I missed that fork on the RockShox site since they don't display it with a thru axle. Seems to get good reviews too, nice call! :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The weight difference between the Revelation 426 Dual Air 9mm QR and the 20mm Maxle light is a hefty 0.5 pounds. 3.8 pounds for QR and 4.3 pounds for the Maxle Light version.

The one upgrade that is really worth doing on the Havocs when running on an ETSX is the bolt on axle kit for the rear hub. That sure makes the swingarm much stiffer.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Definately worth considering the Magura Thor if you ask me.

Claimed weight is 3.93lb, you got the RS Maxle..

Been considering upgrading the 32 talas for one on my etsx, but money is a bit tight so it might have to wait.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EnglishT said:
Definately worth considering the Magura Thor if you ask me.

Claimed weight is 3.93lb, you got the RS Maxle..

Been considering upgrading the 32 talas for one on my etsx, but money is a bit tight so it might have to wait.
Yeah, $1000 for a fork... ouch! Does look nice though.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rockyuphill said:
Purely from an endurance and comfort point of view I'd look at a Magura Durin Marathon, the Durin is the smoothest and most supple fork I've ever ridden.

The Thor looks like a nice fork as well.
The Durin looks good too, but with only 120mm and QR dropouts not what I'm looking for to provide a stiffer front end for the ETSX.

The more I look at the Thor the more I like it... Rockshox Revelation U-turn also looks good, but probably I don't think I'd like dealing with cranking the U-turn down for hill climbs. If the Thor's handlebar controlled travel adjust is as good as it sounds it could be the best bet.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went with DT Swiss XMC 130

Well after lots of consideration I had a change of direction, aided by a too good to pass up deal on a 2008 DT Swiss XMC 130. Would of liked to go with a thru axle fork but they were either too expensive, too heavy or got poor reviews and when I saw this deal http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/-_-/5360036513/ (now sold out) for CND $554 shipping included I couldn't pass it up. Same AtoC as the Fox TALAS 32 but about 1/2 lb lighter and who can pass up on carbon fiber bling? :D

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
kwarwick said:
Well after lots of consideration I had a change of direction, aided by a too good to pass up deal on a 2008 DT Swiss XMC 130. Would of liked to go with a thru axle fork but they were either too expensive, too heavy or got poor reviews and when I saw this deal http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/-_-/5360036513/ (now sold out) for CND $554 shipping included I couldn't pass it up. Same AtoC as the Fox TALAS 32 but about 1/2 lb lighter and who can pass up on carbon fiber bling? :D
And it should provide a nice visual balance with the carbon swingarm. :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
That will look good on an ETSX Team.

It's interesting that Chain Reaction's best deal on the XMC-100 2008 model is still about $900 CDN, and the 2009 model with Post Mount brake mounts is $1200+. I wonder if there's any other changes for 2009.

The XMC-100 would look good on the carbon Vertex, but it weighs 1510gms which is still heavier than the SID Team and the Durin Race.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.