Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these on the way, a 2008 model. This is my first non-zoke and my first full-air fork, so I'll likely be a bit out on tuning.

What are your air, HSC, LSC, and rebound settings? Weight?

How much does cold affect the fork's settings and actuation?

Any other notes?

·
Broken and dizzy
694 Posts
Been riding one for a couple of months now.

I'm 170ish and run about ~52lbs in the air chamber
HSC - 9 -11 clicks from full slow
LSC - 7 - 9 clicks from full slow

Fairly middle of the road settings for the HSC/LSC settings but so far so good. Still playing around with it a little bit, but so far so good.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
215+ lbs and I have 60-65 psi. Clickers are set somewhere but I'm still fiddling with set-up so I haven't counted yet.

If you have Hope 2 piece rotors, and I know you do, plan on filing the lower post mount and possible the adaptor to get clearance for the wider alu section on the rotor spider.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
JC, I can't believe you FINALLY bought a fricken fork. Hell has frozen over.
Too bad. I have an '07 66 RC2X for sale now. 180mm travel. Would've made you a killer deal.:eek:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Renegade said:
I have an '07 66 RC2X for sale now. 180mm travel. Would've made you a killer deal.:eek:
Rene, that's cold blooded man. Just when JC thought he had his mind made up, you come in with this offer. I can see his head spinning as I type this. :p :p

JC - I've got an '07, but I believe the setups will be somewhat similar.

Me 155 lbs. without gear

- 48 psi in the fork (recommended was 55 psi, but it was too firm). Running 1.5" of sag currently.

- A few clicks of Low Speed compression from full open to help with brake dive.

- 5-6 clicks of High speed compression, but I often run it wide open depending on what I'm riding. I'd recommend start with it wide open for a few rides, then go half way for a ride or two and then adjust accordingly.

Cheers,
EB

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
FOX TALAS problem

Hey I am running the same setup as the 155 pund rider (I'm 160) again which is much lower in pressure than the FOX manual suggests on a 2007 SC Nomad.

Have a question for the rest of you. Recently I have been having trouble with my fork in the middle travel setting (130mm). Seems to not be functioning at all. When I go from 100 to 130 it does not extend and feels as if it has minimal rebound. When I click out to 160, it resumes normal operation and at 100 it also works fine. Anyone know what is going on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Renegade said:
JC, I can't believe you FINALLY bought a fricken fork. Hell has frozen over.
Too bad. I have an '07 66 RC2X for sale now. 180mm travel. Would've made you a killer deal.:eek:
Oh, that is so cold. I was even in the search for an SL cart from 06 to experiment with and go between the X and SL configurations.

Oh well. I got a smokin' deal on this one.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ixquiac said:
Hey I am running the same setup as the 155 pund rider (I'm 160) again which is much lower in pressure than the FOX manual suggests on a 2007 SC Nomad.

Have a question for the rest of you. Recently I have been having trouble with my fork in the middle travel setting (130mm). Seems to not be functioning at all. When I go from 100 to 130 it does not extend and feels as if it has minimal rebound. When I click out to 160, it resumes normal operation and at 100 it also works fine. Anyone know what is going on?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Not sure, but from the service guide on Fox's site, you likely either have a timing problem on the Talas adjuster itself, or the cart needs to be overhauled and the ifp recharged or you have a bypassing o-ring. There are a lot of components to it, so pretty much any problem is going to need a full overhaul. Luckily it's not bad. Just get the oring pack and the ifp tool and you're golden- so long as you have patience.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
mine is a plain R, so no compression recommendations for me...

but I haven't felt a major change on the fork on freezing/close to freezing temps...except for maybe a need to adjust the pressure once the fork is "cold", the first time I rode it at those temps...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hi,
2008 Talas RC2:
I am 149lbs
around 148psi in there at the moment. 3clicks of lowspeed 1click highspeed compression. (from full open)

Fork feels stellar, although I don´t use all of it´s travel right now. Maybe I´ll just lower the PSI some more.
Fox recommends about 50-51psi for my weight though.

I´m curious how the fork will perform in warmer temperatures, since I got it, there were only really cold days.
My DHX Coil doesn´t like could temperatures =) rebound gets too slow and it makes sounds. Off to push I say, at least when I have the necessary coin.
I think the rebound "issue" would be a lesser deal if I could use a 400 or 500lbs/inch spring. I am on a 300 however :D

the RC2 still gets better with every ride, accompanied by some knob fiddling and so on.
Talas works perfect.

Greetings Znarf

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Not sure, but from the service guide on Fox's site, you likely either have a timing problem on the Talas adjuster itself, or the cart needs to be overhauled and the ifp recharged or you have a bypassing o-ring. There are a lot of components to it, so pretty much any problem is going to need a full overhaul. Luckily it's not bad. Just get the oring pack and the ifp tool and you're golden- so long as you have patience.
Thanks for the info. I will contact FOX about getting those items.

·
Slow Patrol
438 Posts
I have an '07 36 Float RC2. Seals okay so far. I did have one seal pop out of position slightly and thus leak a bit. Fixed under warranty and fine since.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Now in the longer term, what has been the experience with the seals for those of you with 06 and 07's (and 08's, even though they're new)?

Any other notes to speak of?
Mine lasted about a year and a half. One was getting leaky I replaced 'em with Enduros, which are WAY better. The Fox seals didn't do a great job of keeping out dirt, unlike the Enduros. The Enduros did not add a noticable amount of stiction.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Haven't noticed any real effects of cold, although winter ain't here yet.

175lbs with gear, currently running 55psi, up from 45psi. It's a little too firm at speeds under 15mph, but better on fast descents.

Usually 5-6 clicks in on LSC, 1-3 clicks in on HSC. I'm still playing with compression settings though.

I have 2 piece rotors and didn't have to file anything. I'm really going to miss I.S. when it comes time to buy another fork.

Renegade said:
EBX, I'm just so happy that JC bought a fork finally. I don't have to see those 5 page threads anymore. :D
Now you'll have to see 10 pages of Fox 36 threads. :p

Znarf said:
around 148psi in there at the moment.
I hope that was a typo. ;)

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I got the 07 Talas 36 rc2

back in March, no problems with the seals.

I weigh 155lbs. w/o gear and run 45 psi. LSC- 4 clicks and HSC 3 clicks. I am still trying different setting with the compression.

JC, one thing I do not fully understand is the hydraulic bottom out in damper. Just do not get it... would I set this and just forget it? Or is it something that is needed only if/when I do big jumps and/or drops? Sorry for my stupidity but no one has been able to explain this feature to me in a way I understand.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I don't have the fork in hand, I have studied the service data. The bottom out adjustment is internal, and it controls bottom out via oil flow. It is set and forget. If you're bottoming out too much, then you open the damper up and adjust it. While not as convenient as the X cart on Zokes or oil level adjustments they afford, it's at least nice they make it adjustable at all.

For the most part, one should be able to tune the bottoming resistance with HSC, but if not, this is a backup to keep the lowers off the crown.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got an '08 TALAS RC2 a couple weeks ago and I'm still playing with the settings. I haven't settled in on one I'm totally satisfied with. Close, but not perfection yet. I'm 155 lbs and running 50 psi. So far, it doesn't seem like I can get full travel without significantly reducing the air pressure. Looks like I'm not achieving the last 20mm of travel. I wonder if playing with the bottom out adjustment will help me get full travel? I think I need to try a few more combos of pressure, HSC, and LSC before I open up my brand new fork. Anyone played with the internal bottom out control yet?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts