Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is David and im from Perth Western Australia, i recently purchased a set of FOX 36 Talas R forks from
my lbs... anyway, my question is this:

How close does the fork crown get to the dust wiper seals when bottoming out? - reason for
asking is because im playing around with the air pressures. And i find that when i lift the
front wheel while riding and slam it into the ground as hard as i can (to simulate a hard
drop/impact) im blowing through quite a bit of the travel (roughly 135-140mm), ive set the air
pressure for my weight, which is around 65-67kg.. im worried about this bottoming out when i
really do take a hardish impact.. pressure in the fork is at roughly 60-58psi (at the guage)

second and last question is:

the amount of visible stanchion (sp?) on my fork at 150mm mode is only about 145mm.. is this
normal too?

*my riding style is mainly bmx tracks/skatreparks and urban riding, with occasional DH tracks on
the weekend.*

anyway thanks for taking the time to read this. hope you had a wonderful new year and look
forward to hearing from you soon.

kind regards

David

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
DAvo said:
Hello,

My name is David and im from Perth Western Australia, i recently purchased a set of FOX 36 Talas R forks from
my lbs... anyway, my question is this:

How close does the fork crown get to the dust wiper seals when bottoming out? - reason for
asking is because im playing around with the air pressures. And i find that when i lift the
front wheel while riding and slam it into the ground as hard as i can (to simulate a hard
drop/impact) im blowing through quite a bit of the travel (roughly 135-140mm), ive set the air
pressure for my weight, which is around 65-67kg.. im worried about this bottoming out when i
really do take a hardish impact.. pressure in the fork is at roughly 60-58psi (at the guage)

second and last question is:

the amount of visible stanchion (sp?) on my fork at 150mm mode is only about 145mm.. is this
normal too?

*my riding style is mainly bmx tracks/skatreparks and urban riding, with occasional DH tracks on
the weekend.*

anyway thanks for taking the time to read this. hope you had a wonderful new year and look
forward to hearing from you soon.

kind regards

David
I'm thinking about getting a 36 talas so I hope someone else replies

·
Registered
978 Posts
The lowers will get to within 4-5mm of the crown when bottoming, you can test this yourself by letting all of the air out of the fork en pushing down on it.

About the issue that the TALAS doesn't reach the stated 150mm travel, this is well documented in the forums. It is a common problem with the 36R TALAS that is bugging a lot of people (including me).

check http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147226&highlight=36+talas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.