Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I bought a 2005 RM Slayer 30 a few weeks ago. I love the bike, but the Marzocchi EXR Pro up front is the weak link on this bike.

Do you think the Fox 36 would be overkill? Could the frame handle that fork?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the frame might handle the load, but I don't understand why you would want that much axle to crown height on that frame. With the fork extended/nearly extended I think the bike would suck for anything but pure downhill which it's not built for anyways..

I would look at:
Manitou Nixon QR/20mm
RS Revalation QR
RS Pike (I got this one on my Slayer) 20mm
Fox Vanilla (2005 Slayer 69HA with this fork. Stock on Slayer 50/70) QR
Pace RC40/41 Fighter QR/20mm
Marz AM QR

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps the RS Pike would be better choice, but isn't that a 6" fork also?

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
my thoughts?

Overkill. Someone here posted the same upgrade not too long ago, maybe see how his is holding up. Personally, I'm looking at the all mountain 1 for my '02 slayer. This fork has a ton of adjustments available (TAS & ETA), which is just want the slayer needs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
bullit71 said:
Perhaps the RS Pike would be better choice, but isn't that a 6" fork also?
Pike has got 140mm of travel. The ammount of travel isn't really what's important here though. The Slayer was designed for a fork with ~500mm axle to crown height (Fox Vanilla). Every ~2,5cm added to the axle to crown height substract about one degree from the head angle.

So, the results would be something like:
Fox Vanilla 130mm, 500mm AC, 69" HA
Manitou Nixon 145mm, 518mm AC, 68,3" HA
Rock Shox Pike 140mm , ~520mm AC, 68,25" HA
Fox 36 Talas 150mm, 540mm AC, 67,4" HA

As you can see the Fox 36 has a higher axle to crown height even at the same ammount of travel as the other forks.

~67,5" head angle is downhill territory. I can't understand why you would want that on a trailbike like the Slayer. It's so far of spec that the frame might break while you're riding it.. Lower head angle put more stress on the frame, and especially the downtube/toptube junction area.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GOOD THING or BAD THING

Hey bullit !!!!! I am the guy who posted the same subject a few week ago !! I wanted to do the upgrade but I was not sure about it !!! I wanted to have more stiffness in the front and also, at first ,my 05 slayer was equiped with the vanilla rl which I think it was to weak for this bike so I decided to go ahead and do it anyway !!!

Since that day I love my bike......
it still climb good (a little eavier) but handle hard terrain like nothing else !!! And it feels smoother to in fast speed !!

I say go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't regret it !!! and everybody who knows about FOX will not change for anything else in the world ! they are the best !!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I realize this is an old posting now, but for anyone else in the same positon I put an '07 36 TALAS on my '05 Slayer hot rod. The bike was built up in march or april and so far so good. I usually run it in the 5" positon. 4" for climbs and then let it out to 6" for descents and drops. It is really tall in the 6" setting but I can fly down hills like on my RMX! I would not put on a 36 without the TALAS on this frame, it would be too tall for all around use. I had a hard time deciding if I should put it on but it is working out well so far. I will post again later in the summer and see how it is going.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have an 05 Slayer 70 and an 06 Talas 36 RC2 sitting at home, but I'm not going to put it on the bike.

Overkill IMHO.

The 05 Slayer is a beefed up Element...the fork would be overkill for the frame IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.