Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 fox 36 fit 4 on my mach 6. I set it to fox's recommendations and the fork is really stiff, and I am only using about 1/2 of the travel ( it's a 160 mm fork )

My settings are

225 lbs full gear
fork @ 85 psi
rebound @ 4 clicks from full open
compression @ 2 clicks from full open.

Any suggestions? I have searched and not had too good of results from different settings.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
First thing to do is drop the pressure to 75-80 but don’t worry too much about getting full travel yet, just to a point that it feels comfortable. Also remove any volume spacers

Second, adjuster clicks are counted anti-clockwise from closed/slow so you should be at minus 4 but I would suggest 5 or 6 once you’ve dropped pressure

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Yeah but I'm not running it at that pressure to prevent bottom out. It's more setup for performance by balancing support and tracking through rough terrain. I wouldn't want it sitting lower in it's travel. I also use all my travel at my local trails too though. Try running more compression, too high or too low can cause it to feel harsh.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
You might try removing some or all of the volume spacers. If the fork feels ok over the chatter but overly stiff on bigger impacts then it might be ramping up too much for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 150mm Fox 36 Grip 2 (same air shaft) and I run 18% less pressure than Fox's recommendation. I am 180lb and have 1 volume spacer installed. Sag is around 20%. This is all setup using a ShockWiz.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 150mm Fox 36 Grip 2 (same air shaft) and I run 18% less pressure than Fox's recommendation. I am 180lb and have 1 volume spacer installed. Sag is around 20%. This is all setup using a ShockWiz.
How did you like using the shockwiz? I thought about renting a pair.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How did you like using the shockwiz? I thought about renting a pair.
I bought mine as I only ride 2 or 3 times a month, so rental for me would have cost quite a bit. I found it really good and It has helped a lot. Front is all setup nice and the rear is almost there now. I'm a numbers geek, so I really enjoy stuff like this. I'm also not great at pin-pointing slight changes in feeling, but can feel when something feels right, so the ShockWiz really helped.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I bought mine as I only ride 2 or 3 times a month, so rental for me would have cost quite a bit. I found it really good and It has helped a lot. Front is all setup nice and the rear is almost there now. I'm a numbers geek, so I really enjoy stuff like this. I'm also not great at pin-pointing slight changes in feeling, but can feel when something feels right, so the ShockWiz really helped.
Just chiming in as I got the new bike with the factory 36 and would love to rent one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 36 doesn't feel plush off the top. What I mean by that is when I sit on the bike it doesn't feel like it's really setting into it's sag in a linear fashion. It's almost like it 'burps/jolts/jumps' for the first 5-10% of it's travel. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
205 Posts
It might be worth cleaning the air shaft and many shipped with too much grease which blocks the port between the negative and positive chambers, which can have a negative impact on how plush they feel. I cleaned mine up and they did feel a little better afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It might be worth cleaning the air shaft and many shipped with too much grease which blocks the port between the negative and positive chambers, which can have a negative impact on how plush they feel. I cleaned mine up and they did feel a little better afterwards.
Makes sense. I think that I'll give it a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.