Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference? The googles doesn't seem to have anything. Are these actually the same fork, just some sites are lazy and don't put elite? Weighing my options on a new bike and im looking for the pros/cons between the two (if they are in fact different)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference? The googles doesn't seem to have anything. Are these actually the same fork, just some sites are lazy and don't put elite? Weighing my options on a new bike and im looking for the pros/cons between the two (if they are in fact different)
The information you seek is on this site:

Explore 36 Bike Forks | FOX

In the Fox 36 the "Performance Elite" model is like the "Factory" with anodized black instead of Kashima coating, which I assume reduces the cost a bit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
duh I looked at that page shortly after posting this and apparently didn't read much past the first page.....

Where is the "performance" model though? For example. The Yeti SB5.5 is equipped with "Fox 36 Performance 160" and the new SC HighTower LT has a "Fox 36 Performance Elite"

...not seeing a standard "performance" model on Fox's webpage.

edit - Ok, it looks like the performance elite is the 2018 fork. Performance is "older" and has the Fit GRIP, where as now Fox only offers the Factory and Performance Elite with the FIT 4 damper

·
Registered
94 Posts
duh I looked at that page shortly after posting this and apparently didn't read much past the first page.....

Where is the "performance" model though? For example. The Yeti SB5.5 is equipped with "Fox 36 Performance 160" and the new SC HighTower LT has a "Fox 36 Performance Elite"

...not seeing a standard "performance" model on Fox's webpage.

edit - Ok, it looks like the performance elite is the 2018 fork. Performance is "older" and has the Fit GRIP, where as now Fox only offers the Factory and Performance Elite with the FIT 4 damper
Nope. They have both factory, performance elite and performance. Performance is OEM only, and has the GRIP damper which is said to be pretty darn good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess my issue with performance is that is has no LSC adjustment (at least from what i've gathered. It simply has a 3 position switch at the top of the fork and the GRIP knob at the bottom. I like how performance elite is essentially a factory fork without the Kashima Coat.

That being said, why doesn't fox have info on the Performance model on their site?

·
Registered
641 Posts
i guess my issue with performance is that is has no LSC adjustment (at least from what i've gathered. It simply has a 3 position switch at the top of the fork and the GRIP knob at the bottom. I like how performance elite is essentially a factory fork without the Kashima Coat.

That being said, why doesn't fox have info on the Performance model on their site?
The GRIP switch actually works in between the three indexed positions too, so it has quite decent adjustability.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Since the Performance fork is OEM, it doesn't have an information page on the Fox site. But their 2018 Performance model does have LSC adjustments. See this page in the Fox help center.

I'm curious if others find upgrading to the Factory or Elite series worth the extra dough.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Since the Performance fork is OEM, it doesn't have an information page on the Fox site. But their 2018 Performance model does have LSC adjustments. See this page in the Fox help center.

I'm curious if others find upgrading to the Factory or Elite series worth the extra dough.
That's a misprint. The performance/GRIP forks only have the 3 position HSC dial (with micro adjust in between).

There are two flavors of dampers on the factory forks. Those being FIT4 and HSC/LSC. Both allow good LSC adjustability. To my knowledge, all of the performance elite forks have the FIT4 damper though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have the Performance Elite 36 because I wanted the black stanchions, but every else is the same as Factory. FIT4 damper. The 2018 is absolutely an amazing fork.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally got my Yeti a couple weeks back and it has the Performance 36 on it. I was worried about the fit GRIP damper and was a bit disappointed that Yeti doesn't have an option for the Performance Elite for the LSC settings. To my surprise though, the Performance fork with the GRIP damper is great. I like the modulation between the 3 main settings (open, medium and firm) and its great to be able to adjust easily on the fly. I could through in a new damper if i wanted down the road, but i think this fork does a pretty good job how it is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What's the difference between the two - 36 Performance & 36 Performance Elite?
The V3 Bronson S Build that im interested comes with 36 Performance version and i cant find any info about it... how these two compare?

·
Registered
641 Posts
What's the difference between the two - 36 Performance & 36 Performance Elite?
The V3 Bronson S Build that im interested comes with 36 Performance version and i cant find any info about it... how these two compare?
Identical except for the damper - the Elite version has the Grip2 damper while the non-Elite has the original Grip damper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Factory Fox 36 Grip2. I'm missing the lever climbing big hills like I had on my Pike. The LBS has offered to put the Grip on my bike so I have the lever. Will I lose any small bump etc. by swapping? I'm running 105psi, zero tokens, HSR LSR are both full slow and LSC and HSC are full open.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The LBS has offered to put the Grip on my bike so I have the lever. Will I lose any small bump etc. by swapping?
That would be going from the best damper to the worst. If you do downgrade because you want a climb switch at least get a FIT4 with LSC adjust.

HSR LSR are both full slow and LSC and HSC are full open.
I cannot believe that combination of damper settings would work for anyone ever on any bike or any terrain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That would be going from the best damper to the worst. If you do downgrade because you want a climb switch at least get a FIT4 with LSC adjust.

I cannot believe that combination of damper settings would work for anyone ever on any bike or any terrain.
I’m surely using the wrong term for the compression.

I was thinking FIT4 would be the better option, but I haven’t seen it for sale. Only Grip2. Haven’t looked that hard yet

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't find the FIT 4, just Grip 2. My wife's new bike is coming with a Fox 36 Performance (non elite) and a DPX2 Performance (non elite). I would like to upgrade hers to the Fit 4, it will have the Grip 1 on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't find the FIT 4, just Grip 2. My wife's new bike is coming with a Fox 36 Performance (non elite) and a DPX2 Performance (non elite). I would like to upgrade hers to the Fit 4, it will have the Grip 1 on it.
I would not spend a dime on changing the damper from GRIP to Fit4. I've been running the GRIP (1) for a bit less than a year now, and I love it. Far better than my old Fox 36 RC2 (2015). It's even got the lockout that appears to be important to you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would not spend a dime on changing the damper from GRIP to Fit4. I've been running the GRIP (1) for a bit less than a year now, and I love it. Far better than my old Fox 36 RC2 (2015). It's even got the lockout that appears to be important to you.
Thanks! That will save me a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a Performance 36 and I have been debating whether or not to upgrade to the Grip2 damper. I am curious if the Grip2 damper would give me the ability to open both the high and low speed compression circuits more (softer) than the open position on the regular Grip?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts