Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Probably picking up a YetiSB5.5 Carbon. It has the 36 Performance with the GRIP damper (wish it had the performance elite..) I'm a bit concerned as it doesn't have any LSC adjustment, however i'm sure this fork is MILES ahead of the RockShox Sektor Gold i'm replacing.

Can anyone comment on this? I'm assuming this is the 2017 Fox 36 Performance fork, as the bike will be brand new (ordering)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just got the same fork on a Switchblade, I have one ride on it but came away very impressed.
It is a better fork than an older Fox factory fork it replaced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. im continuing to research and hopefully will get a ride on one next week!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My bike came w the 34 performance Grip - its a silly good damper that works across a wide range. About as set and forget as you can get IMO.

If I was buying fox - i would buy a perf or perf elite... no need to spend for kashima really and even the "professional" reviewers have given the grip high marks and no real perceptible diff w the fit4.

I have recently replaced my 34 w a Helm. Amazing fork if you want simple to set full adjustability. AM keeping the 34 to put on something else or as a backup if needed.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Is the FIT4 really an upgrade?
There is a long thread about the 2016 36 and how harsh it is.
Ever since the CTD fiasco Fox has claimed they fixed their issues with each model year, maybe they finally get it right in 2017?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the FIT4 really an upgrade?
There is a long thread about the 2016 36 and how harsh it is.
Ever since the CTD fiasco Fox has claimed they fixed their issues with each model year, maybe they finally get it right in 2017?
I think they're on 2018 forks now, but i understand. i thought that '16 and up forks have been praised and often times rated higher than comparable forks from RockShox

·
Trail Ninja
6,139 Posts
The GRIP damper seems to be of the same ilk as an Avalanche damper, to an untrained eye. Fox did say GRIP was moto inspired, so...

I see a spring-backed shim on the mid-valve, seemingly to provide some immediate low-speed damping, doing double duty as a check valve.

The glide ring/bushing on the rebound piston is notably shorter than the Avalanche's, and the dimensions of the shaft and cartridge seem smaller (lower oil volume and less oil flow). The lower sealhead also looks fairly tiny. Looks like Fox focused on low friction here, over robustness. Well, as long as it doesn't leak, considering potential chassis flex...

Hard to tell what's going on at the base valve, but looks like there's 4 shims providing the HSC and there's a disc that is rotated by the external compression knob, to cover up the portions of the base valve compression piston ports, to provide increased compression damping. There's a wave washer holding the shim stack tight, so that could technically act as a blow off for an especially hard hit. There's a spring under the rotating disc, to allow oil to flow more freely out on rebound. There's a coil spring backed IFP putting pressure on the oil.

I can't speculate about Fox's tune without riding it. Guy Kesteven (regular tester BikeRadar) seems to like the Rhythm fork on the SC Chameleon.

I'd like to hear someone else's take on this, who is more familiar with this. I'm still learning the basics of how these circuits work. I'd like to measure the shaft OD and cartridge, but know that Fox specs 65cc of oil at least. I also want a better look at the lower sealhead to see just how robust the bushing and seal are. I also want to see if there's a difference between a 34 GRIP and 36 GRIP, as I'm wary about seeing how a 34 GRIP doing so well in a 36 without making it proportionally longer in shaft and cartridge.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
The Avalanche is an open bath damper and the Grip is not. The Grip uses a spring loaded IFP with a purge port to expel ingested oil.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
The 2018 Fox 36 Performance GRIP for is as good as a Fox Factory Kashima.... when extended to 160mm. I was gonna buy a new RS Lyric RC2 160mm Charger Damper 2.1 but I'll lose money, just for nearly same performance and slightly lower weight.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Maybe I have a different riding style or preferred tuning setup than the GRIP suits, but I haven't felt the same as others in terms of the glowing praise for the GRIP damper. I have a Marzocchi Z1 on my hardtail which uses that same GRIP damper, and despite messing with setup quite a bit I can't get it to feel as consistent as my GRIP2 fork. It seems like in the stock setup there is constant compromise between forgiveness at low shaft speeds vs. harshness at high shaft speeds. I've found that the combination of the air spring and damper just don't ride quite as high as the GRIP2 fork over repeated hits, and the result is that the fork just beats me up a little more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts