Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been ridin my 575 with a regular talas up front. not a bad fork, just been doing more jumps and wanted something in the 6" zone. Any tried the fox 36 and/or ttthe zoch am 1-2? Just like to hear some opinions on what would make a better fork for the 575 with a regular rp3. thnx

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
jaco said:
Hi all, been ridin my 575 with a regular talas up front. not a bad fork, just been doing more jumps and wanted something in the 6" zone. Any tried the fox 36 and/or ttthe zoch am 1-2? Just like to hear some opinions on what would make a better fork for the 575 with a regular rp3. thnx
i have been running the am1 all season on mine...simply put i find it a great match...most of the time i run it around 5 1/2 inches of travel, but its great to be able to crank it up to 6 for shuttle rides and what not...my am1 has been flawless, a great addition to the 575 in my opinion...its so much more plush than the talas..

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
No question AM1!

Simply put, this is the best fork currently available. Nothing approaches its adjustability, suspension action and reasonable weight. Adjust the TAS to the most desirable length for general riding and if you come across a really steep climb, flick the ETA, slam the front end down and you'll be amazed how steep you can climb as long as traction is available. On those days where its bit time DH, adjust to 6" and let it rip. The compression dampening adjustment comes in handy for technical descents as it will keep the fork extended more for the steepest sections. This fork is a match made in heaven for the 575!:)

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AZmtncycler said:
Simply put, this is the best fork currently available. Nothing approaches its adjustability, suspension action and reasonable weight. Adjust the TAS to the most desirable length for general riding and if you come across a really steep climb, flick the ETA, slam the front end down and you'll be amazed how steep you can climb as long as traction is available. On those days where its bit time DH, adjust to 6" and let it rip. The compression dampening adjustment comes in handy for technical descents as it will keep the fork extended more for the steepest sections. This fork is a match made in heaven for the 575!:)
Whats the difference between the 06 AM 1 and 2? Cant seem to figure out the $200+ price difference.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
jaco said:
Whats the difference between the 06 AM 1 and 2? Cant seem to figure out the $200+ price difference.
The 2 doesn't have the nice cartridge damper that the 1 has, avoid it as it's a pretty mediocre fork. The AM-1 is a good choice for the 575 though. The Pike would be an excellent option as well.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Ventanarama said:
The 2 doesn't have the nice cartridge damper that the 1 has, avoid it as it's a pretty mediocre fork. The AM-1 is a good choice for the 575 though. The Pike would be an excellent option as well.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
I agree, go with the AM1. I have a Vanilla 36 on my 6 Pack and I think it would be too tall and overkill for the 575. The 130-150mm AM1 is plenty of fork, very plush and adjustable also. I'm running the AM1 on my 575 and couldn't be happier.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FXRob said:
I agree, go with the AM1. I have a Vanilla 36 on my 6 Pack and I think it would be too tall and overkill for the 575. The 130-150mm AM1 is plenty of fork, very plush and adjustable also. I'm running the AM1 on my 575 and couldn't be happier.
anybody tried a regular talas on their 575 before moving on to the AM1? would like to hear comments on the talas as a point of comparison. thnx

·
Registered
757 Posts
AM1 vs. Talas

jaco said:
anybody tried a regular talas on their 575 before moving on to the AM1? would like to hear comments on the talas as a point of comparison. thnx
Not that I'm one to enforce forum rules, but is a good idea to do a search before asking a lot of this stuff as it has been talked about many times before. Check out these threads:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=127140

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=129593

I'm sure there are others as well, but I know these are applicable because I asked the exact same thing a little while ago.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
276 Posts
I respectfully disagree...

I have a Fox 36 on my 575, with a RP3 on the back. Not only is the bike really balanced, but it rides great both in Seattle and BC style riding. I ride with several guys with AM1 forks, and while they think their forks are great, they think mine is too. In fact, one of them wants to go to a 36 on his next bike.

As always, it's all baloney until you actually ride a part on your own frame. If you have friends with both, ride both, or even put them on your bike if you can.

Or, just take a flyer on one of them and if it doesn't work, sell it and go with the other fork.

I love my 36 on my 575!

FXRob said:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Check out the Pike. Azmtncycler said that nothing approaches the AM1 for adjustablility and overall performance, but I think nothing approaches the Pike for overall adjustability. The performance issue can be argued.

The Pike is a true swiss army knife amongst all mountain forks without compromise imo. I have the coil version and the travel can be set from 95 to 140mm and still be effective/plush at any setting. The fork can be locked out with the compression adjust for climbing or partially locked out. The flood gate can be set for any number of riding scenarios. The Pike is ultra stiff and the qr 20mm maxle is just as fast to take off the front wheel as traditonal qr, but has the benefit of added stiffness. The action of the Pike is very plush and it feels great. This fork can be used for light freeride or all mountain and it weighs under 5lbs.

The 36 and AM1 are great forks, but for overall adjustability, performance, and price it is very hard to beat the Pike.

·
EDR
10,714 Posts
ronny said:
Check out the Pike. Azmtncycler said that nothing approaches the AM1 for adjustablility and overall performance, but I think nothing approaches the Pike for overall adjustability. The performance issue can be argued.

The Pike is a true swiss army knife amongst all mountain forks without compromise imo. I have the coil version and the travel can be set from 95 to 140mm and still be effective/plush at any setting. The fork can be locked out with the compression adjust for climbing or partially locked out. The flood gate can be set for any number of riding scenarios. The Pike is ultra stiff and the qr 20mm maxle is just as fast to take off the front wheel as traditonal qr, but has the benefit of added stiffness. The action of the Pike is very plush and it feels great. This fork can be used for light freeride or all mountain and it weighs under 5lbs.

The 36 and AM1 are great forks, but for overall adjustability, performance, and price it is very hard to beat the Pike.
I have not ridden the 36 but I do have the Pike coil on my 575 and totally agree. Its a great fork with adjustablility for all rides. The ETA on the Zoke's is always nice (i have a mx comp on my xc bike).

One big factor maybe is money. 05 Pikes can be found for a great price. If price is no issue you can't go wrong with the AM1, or the Pike for that matter. Keep in mind the Pike requires a 20mm axel so that might be some money if you don' t have a convertable hub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.