Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a bit more fork than Turner recommends but I believe it will adjust down w/o stiffening. I really liked the burly feel yet light weight of the demo 36s I've bounced around on and wouldn't mind having the option of the extra legs for the occasional shuttle run on Tunnel-like trails.

One could keep it in 5" mode for 80% of normal trail riding, but then have the option of 6" for trails/sections that might call for it.

Anyone tried the 36/Five Spot combo yet?

BTW - I got to this point via the Spot vrs Pack dilemma ( for all around trail riding ) and the consensus I gather, seems to be that the Spot with a slightly burly build would be a better choice than trying to keep a Pack at 31-32 pounds. Plus the Spot should always outclimb the Pack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea what the main issue is? Or if that is a warranty issue? If the fork is ridden around the majority of the time at 5" mode, I'm wondering why there'd be a problem.

Darn, I thought I'd solved my Pack vrs Spot dilemma. With a 36 on a Pack, what weight range do you recommend to aim for ( emphasis on all around trail riding and climbing w/occasional shuttle run)?

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
G-out said:
With a 36 on a Pack, what weight range do you recommend to aim for ( emphasis on all around trail riding and climbing w/occasional shuttle run)?
Mine is 32.5 with a 36 & 500 lb spring and blingy parts all around.
It's possible, but will be very costly, to drop more weight without significantly sacrificing durability.
I think so highly of the 36 that I'd sooner stick with the Pack over the Spot just to be able to run that fork.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with you on the 36.

Haven't done a full-on ride on one but it looks to be a very impressive effort from Fox.

Have you ridden it much in the 5" mode? Just wondering if it gives up anything other than the inch of travel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I actually just placed the fork on my spot over the weekend. I put it in 5" mode and bombed everything. Thought it would be too much fork, but it seemed to really match the rp3 that I had on the back. I just spent a boatload on a pack with a Z1, but after this weekend the spot seems like what I was looking for at a little under 30 lbs. BTW, I'm a clyde and this seemed like a great balance with the stiffness and weight.

good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I'm down in LA area ... the Valley.

I've been wondering how the front side SB stuff came through all the rains. Been on Cold Springs or Tunnel lately?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
G-out said:
No, I'm down in LA area ... the Valley.

I've been wondering how the front side SB stuff came through all the rains. Been on Cold Springs or Tunnel lately?
Haven't been on either of those two, but the other front side trails I've seen (Romero, McMenemy) have some spots that are pretty messed up, but are mostly rideable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting link. Thanks.

I can see Dave and the other owners going " Damn, here comes another F/R fork that's gonna make everyone want to go hero on our 5" frames!" lol

Looks like what I really need is either a Five Pack or a Six Spot.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Z150 on a Spot? Not.

I've got a Z150 on my RFX and of course I had to try it on my Spot. I can't remember the A2C for the 36 or the 150 but they are very close, therein lies the reason for my comment. DON'T DO IT!

The handling is flat out weird. (A scientific term used when the vocabulary fails one.) I only rode aggressive singletrack one ride and took that puppy off. The tall front end really degrades the handling of the Spot. If you are inclined to want a fork like the 36 on your bike, you are more likely a 6 pack kind of guy. I love my RFX and my MavSpot equally. One massages my ego the other my id. Depends on what kind of day I've had whipping the slaves. But if I could only have one bike it would be a lighter RFX (6 pack) with a tall fork.

·
Registered
694 Posts
all good

The Tunnel being so rocky came out in really good shape. Was there 2 weeks ago and it was business as usual. Didnt ride Cold Springs though. Im in the Valley to. G-out where do you usually ride?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ride all the usual stuff from SJT up through SB. Usually ride with the total mtb or adrenalin crews. Shoot me an email if you want to hook up with us for a ride ( so we don't clutter up the forum here ).

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Me too!!

G-out said:
Ride all the usual stuff from SJT up through SB. Usually ride with the total mtb or adrenalin crews. Shoot me an email if you want to hook up with us for a ride ( so we don't clutter up the forum here ).
Well, actually, Simi Valley. I'll email ya and see if I can hookup w/ some fellow homers for a ride... :cool:

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Hmm well.... I run a Z150 on my RFX with 5" rockers-which creates about the same geometry you would get from a 5-spot with Z150 or Fox 36 @ 150mm. Both the 36 and Z150 have a2c measurements of about 538mm.

I've tried both 5+6" marzocchi forks and both 5+6" rockers on my RFX, and every combination of the two.... Z150 and 5" rockers is by far my favorite. Why? a 13.5" BB combined with the tall front end and 67d head angle means this bike just laughs at steep chutes and drops, and RAILS on fast descents. Yes, the climbing suffers a bit... but really climbing is all about fitness imho. if you got legs and skills, you will get used to climbing with a slack head angle. It does take getting used to though- I wasn't sure I liked it till I had ridden it for a few weeks. my riding style really adjusted, and now I can't see making any changes.... until Marzocchi comes out with the shorter 66 next year!

back to the original question:
Dave Turner says not to do it, so don't.
You might really like the handling, especially on FR descents, but you may also possible push the frame beyond it's limits, as it was designed for shorter forks.

Also, just cause I really like it, doesn't mean it's good. I prefer the FR geometry for the trails I ride on- but on XC rides, no doubt 5+5" felt better.

And lastly, this is on an RFX- not a 5-spot.

mtnbikerx said:
I've got a Z150 on my RFX and of course I had to try it on my Spot. I can't remember the A2C for the 36 or the 150 but they are very close, therein lies the reason for my comment. DON'T DO IT!

The handling is flat out weird. (A scientific term used when the vocabulary fails one.) I only rode aggressive singletrack one ride and took that puppy off. The tall front end really degrades the handling of the Spot. If you are inclined to want a fork like the 36 on your bike, you are more likely a 6 pack kind of guy. I love my RFX and my MavSpot equally. One massages my ego the other my id. Depends on what kind of day I've had whipping the slaves. But if I could only have one bike it would be a lighter RFX (6 pack) with a tall fork.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
BUT the 36 is adjustable

tscheezy said:
You can set it to match the a-c length of the forks DT recommends, and then there should be no difference in the abuse the headangle sees. So that really doesn't answer the question, unless you're getting a lot more crazy w/ it set at 6" on the dh. But after this weekend seeing a guy w/ a reglar ol talas doing stuff I was sweating just watching (and him on a ss ht, no less) I really don't think it's the fork that determines how you ride so much as the rider...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.