Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wise to put a Fox 36 van or talas on a Heckler? Seems like it might be a bit too tall and out of balance with more travel in the front than in the rear. Any pics of one with this fork?

·
Registered
229 Posts
bugsdad said:
Is it wise to put a Fox 36 van or talas on a Heckler? Seems like it might be a bit too tall and out of balance with more travel in the front than in the rear. Any pics of one with this fork?
With the TALAS option you can balance out the bike, and have a longer travel fork if you need it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
just got mine friday

im totally blown away by this bike and fork
i went on a 30 mile ride friday
then jumping on saturday
this bike really can do it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsdad

no way
my front wheel never left the ground (except when jumping)
i love this bike
i love this bike

the first pic is short travel
the second is long

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
i have the talas 36 on my medium heckler. before that i had a 125 rlc. all a round riding i use about 5 inches. on long climbs i put it all the way down. it helps but its not needed. when running full travel i find the steering to be slow. on tight singletrack i understeer then end up oversteering to compensate then have to turn it back. so i like being able to change the travel.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Heckler can take a 6" fork without messing up the geometry. The longer stroke rear shocks give the Heckler 5.6 inches of rear travel anyways. Not a big difference and you can lower the travel for climbing on most forks as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another 36 Talas here

bugsdad said:
For long climbs I wind it right down to 110mm, but most other times it's set around 135mm. Seems a good match to the Heckler, nice & adjustable and capable of coping with most types of riding.

Couple of pics for you...

Attachments

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
timmeat said:
im totally blown away by this bike and fork
i went on a 30 mile ride friday
then jumping on saturday
this bike really can do it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsdad

no way
my front wheel never left the ground (except when jumping)
i love this bike
i love this bike

the first pic is short travel
the second is long
How do you adjust the travel on the 36? Is it with tools or a nob?

·
Registered
456 Posts
8-Ball said:
For long climbs I wind it right down to 110mm, but most other times it's set around 135mm.
I had almost identical bike (few days ago I've switched the frame to Bullit) and I have some reservations about this whole travel adjustment thing. First thing - upper tubes are not 150mm as Fox claims - it's more like 140-145mm. This problem has been discussed on this forum for many times and until now there is no fix for that.
Another thing is that last 5mm can't be used (bottoming), so travel is being reduced to 135-140mm :-(. And last thing- I never managed to reduce travel for more than 115 mm. Summary ? I spent aprox. $1000 for the fork that has 140mm travel instead of 150 and it reduces travel to 115mm which gives 25mm instead of 40mm. Let's say I'm realy disappoined. My advice - take Fox 36Van if You want Your heckler for some FR stuff or just get Pike, Vanilla or some Marzocchi with it's weight penalty but forget about 36 TALAS. It's not bad - it's simply not worth.

Regards,
serhij

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'v got a 05 Heckler, and a freind lentme his 36 TAKAS for a week. This combo rocks! The fork is light, stiff, adjustable, and suits the Heckler fine. I'm definatley considering this fork for next season.
The bike can be balanced perfectly for both climbs or decents, with the travel adjuster.

Love my Heckler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.