Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to MTBR (as a member) - and I'm a 575 owner from the UK.

I've had a brief look at this forum before, but I've joined now because I need some advice and this seems like the perfect place to get it.

I bought my '07 575 on discount earlier this year - and I've got the DHX 5 Air shock on it (it was all that was left in black/carbon).

I've put a Float 32 140RL on the bike, but I can't help thinking it feels a bit unbalanced with the DHX at the back (still experimenting with rear shock. I have had a satisfactory set-up out of it - just can't find it again).

Anyway, I wanted the bike as a contrast to my Giant Anthem and Cove Handjob - so I'm getting drawn to the idea of changing the fork to a Fox 36, which I suspect may match the rear shock better.

I may have the chance to swap my almost new '07 Float for a used '07 36 Float - or I could buy a secondhand '07 36 Talas.

So I suppose the crux of my question is: Will the 36 Float be too long for climbing?

The bike will mainly be used for rocky XC at trail centres and in the mountains. I don't jump a lot, but have started to let my wheels leave the ground more often.

All opinions gratefully recieved!

·
www.obec.co.uk
97 Posts
I have an 07 575 with a 36 Van on the front. It transformed the bike completely, downhill it is superb. It has effected climbing a bit but I have dropped the height of my handlebars to counter this. A fantastic fork for the 575, even with the RP23.

Cheers,

Terry

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I recommend you go for the Talas model..... when I use a z1 light on my 575 at 150mm travel (just a tiny bit lower a-c than the 36) the effect on the climbing was really noticeable.... I compensated a bit with saddle position and loweirng the stem, but a travel adjust is a better solution IMO...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim - That does look more balanced than my bike does at present...

Crisillo - OK, I think I'm leaning towards the Talas - despite the extra expense - just because I don't want to compromise on the fork for a second time (was thinking Pike when building up but got a great deal on the Float). Otherwise I'll probably be swapping it over again in six months.

And because I have back problems and climbing can get very uncomfortable if I have to hunch too far forward.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 36 vanillia on mine.... move the seat forward until it climbs well.

·
all day long
212 Posts
I started with a Fox TALAS 32, but sold it within a few months and picked up a TALAS 36. It doesn't have the lockout feature that the 32 has, but dropping the travel on climbs makes a huge difference. I can pretty much churn up any hill...and that's with a 12-27 Ultegra cassette. I still have my granny (22t), so I have a decent range of gear ratios. Oh yeah, my 575 is on the heavy side, 'bout 35 lbs with dual ply tires.

·
Ride lots...
898 Posts
I went from a 32 TALAS to a 36 TALAS on my 575. To each hi sown, but I can't imagine having a 160mm Float or Vanilla on it. Climbing sucks in the 160mm mode. It's all personal preference of course, but I think you'll be much happier with a 36 TALAS. 100mm on the climbs, 160mm for the rough descents and 130mm for everything else--it's the perfect fork!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.