Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The videos have a a few special tools like screw-on things to hammer the threads, special seal installation things to push them in nicely.

I'm buying new seals and oil, do I really need any of these other tools? What tools should I definitely have?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The seal driver makes it much easier. The tools to knock the damper and air shaft loose aren't necessary but also make things easier. Right tool for the job. Takes me about 10 minutes to do a lower service with the correct tools.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I agree here but I never could justify the damper tool--but I did buy the seal driver off ebay for $30-----I am sure the lower leg tool helps but there are lots of youtube video's showing how to get the lowers off w/o it.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Seal driver is worth it with the new flangeless seals which are much harder to drive in and keep aligned. I've used the damper and air spring shaft tools but a deep socket on a loosened nut works fine too.

If you're taking off the airspring cap or the damper cap, I highly recommend a flush socket, one without any chamfer on its face. I've used the official fox one but I also have ground the face flat on a normal socket as well. If you grind the face flat, be sure to use fine emery paper to smooth it so it doesn't mar the fork caps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.