Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm on a quest for the ultimate small bump sensitivity with my Fox 36 Grip 2 (160mm). I've bought a Luftkappe which made a huge difference and now I'm considering low friction seals.

A few questions:
  1. Are they really any better? It is a £1140 fork, surely the original Fox seals are low friction already?
  2. If they are better, which are the best to buy?
  3. Do I need the special tool to fit them, or can I make do with a large socket and a rubber mallet?

Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The factory skf seals are pretty dang good these days but if you want even less friction the green skf are better again.

I recommend a proper driver to fit them so the go in square, if they are in there crooked you won’t be getting the full benefit from them. They are also very tight and can be distorted and damaged much easier than the old flanged seals.

I would size/burnish the bushings as well, this is probably the best thing you can do for sensitivity

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
"Low friction" seals slide better because they leave more of an oil film on the stanchions. You can see it with the glossy appearance. That's the difference between the standard Fox SKF seals and the greens.

So you do need to be more strict with maintenance. You can run out of bath oil if you ride a lot and let service intervals go too long. Particularly with forks that don't use much.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Molybdenum content. That's what makes seals low-friction. PUSH says they have the highest % content with the tightest fit. Fox OEM seals have lower % but still tight fit to save a few $$. SKF US importer says there's no delta between OEM Fox and green but every anecdote I have says they are lower-friction.

mk

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,331 Posts
Get the push seals. They are the best and smoothest of any I've used. I replace even new seals with them on all my forks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Try removing the lower seal lip spring, it greatly lowers friction. It's there to help keep the bath oil inside. I've run my 36 like this for a year, with no oil coming out. I store my bike hanging from the front wheel, so every ride starts with the seals soaked in oil, and still no problem. I just did it on the 34sc on my race bike as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be doing a service soon so will look into this more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts