Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Fox 36 installed and went for a ride with my daughter today. She's home for just a week from school.

The fork is, in my opinion, perfect for the Moment. I left it at 6 inches of travel and only set the pressure and sped up the rebound 2 clicks today. I haven't done anything with either the fast or slow compression at all yet. It already feels noticably better than the Talas 130 I had on the bike. I think the biggest difference is the 20mm through axle. I will likely leave the travel between 140 and 150mm most of the time as I was able to climb fine at full travel. I'm stoked to start figuring out this fork.

The following pictures are as follows: 1. Me at the Church Rocks climb. The picture was a poor exposure, so I tweaked it with Photoshop. It looks quite unnatural, but I think it is still pretty interesting. 2. My daughter on her Blur. 3. A weak stemmed mariposa lilly. 4. A desert tortoise we saw on the ride.

Attachments

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Thanks for that Bob. I was considering a Maverick for my Id, but now my sights are on the fox. When I messed with sqeaky's 6-pack, it felt unbelievably stiff. The Maverick is a lot lighter but I'm not convinced it is as burley as that fox. Of course, I'd love to hear a debate on it since with the Maverick you lose 1.5 lbs for less money. If it's all axle and not stancion diameter, the mav, should be stiffer too.

Pix are great.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
33.1 pounds. I haven't got my order from MHC yet, so when I get the King Steelset headset the weight will go up another .2 - .3 pounds. I have a strange mix of very light (XTR drivetrain, carbon bar) and heavy (8 inch front rotor, DH rims, Shimano 646 pedals, big tires and tubes) parts. You could reasonably build this bike quite a bit lighter. I think it will drop a fair amount of weight with the second tubeless wheelset I'll be building.

I was looking at the Marz AM1, but I decided I wanted the 20mm front, I think it makes more sense for a 6 inch travel fork. I also feel that the damping is very, very good. Lastly, the ability to adjust travel from 4-6 inches makes much more sense than the 3-5 inches adjustability I had with the TALAS for this bike. The fork gives me the "engineless motorcycle" feel I've been wanting on downhills while still climbing very well. There is very little bob in the front, I expect from the low speed compression circuit. I'm very impressed already, and I haven't even messed with the adjustments.

Oh, I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought a Hadley front hub (2 more still coming from MHC). I think this is a great piece, and I see no need to spring for a King front at the price differential. I still have a King hub on the rear, and I really like their drive mechanism, but with the price increase, I don't think I'll be buying King front hubs again.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Hey! There's a bike on your fork!

That setup looks like the hot ticket for Utah. A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll!

I got a kick out of seeing all the tortoise fences all over the place in St G but I never saw any tortoises (tortoisi?). I figured they were some sort of mythological creature. Guess not. I did see a ringtail cat on Hurricane Ridge trail though.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tscheezy said:
Hey! There's a bike on your fork!

That setup looks like the hot ticket for Utah. A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll!

I got a kick out of seeing all the tortoise fences all over the place in St G but I never saw any tortoises (tortoisi?). I figured they were some sort of mythological creature. Guess not. I did see a ringtail cat on Hurricane Ridge trail though.
I see the tortoises very infrequently, but every time I have the same reaction. "Hey, that rock looks just like a tortoise: woah, IS is a tortoise!." When I've seen them it has always been in spring or fall. I think they must become nocturnal during the heat of the summer.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Great shots BTW great to see the 36 finally up and running, we don't get that type of wildlife down under so interesting to get perspective on your riding areas.

Not to spoil the party but I see foxs 2006 release will include a 36 vanilla version call the Van 36 possibly with 160mm of travel?
http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1609&PHPSESSID=8e9a63c939539026415d8b2a477c653e

interesting times, will be good to here more about your impressions of the 36 as you get more ride time.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
trailadvent said:
Great shots BTW great to see the 36 finally up and running, we don't get that type of wildlife down under so interesting to get perspective on your riding areas.

Not to spoil the party but I see foxs 2006 release will include a 36 vanilla version call the Van 36 possibly with 160mm of travel?
http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1609&PHPSESSID=8e9a63c939539026415d8b2a477c653e

interesting times, will be good to here more about your impressions of the 36 as you get more ride time.
Wow! Exciting stuff from FOX. How do the English dudes always get the goods first?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
chad1433 said:
Wow! Exciting stuff from FOX. How do the English dudes always get the goods first?
Maybe they have a english elve working in the Fox Factory somewhere not sure but looks great for 06 how do we keep up, I've chosen the Z1 for this year tried and true, will wait and see the outcome of the 36 and the thoughts of the Van later this year and may get upgrade itus then.

I'm happy with the FR Z1 at this stage it can take a beating and is everything I need in a fork, though I do love big stanchions. No doubt that will become the theme in 06, big someitmes really is better.

Outta here! enjoy the ride!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a few pictures. In order to avoid the leaning against the outside of the garage door shot, I've included a leaning against the INSIDE of the garage door shot instead.

I've been working long hours the last few days, but I hope to get some more pics of the bike in its natural environment soon.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.