Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mostly used 140mm forks in the past... and I've never had any problem using all the travel of the Fork (bottoming out the o-ring into the Kashima lettering).

I bought a new Ripmo after demoing both Ibis Ripmo & Ripley. I have the upgraded Fox 36 Grip 2 160mm Kash fork with about 8 rides on it. I am having trouble getting full travel out of it. I'm 165 lbs with riding kit on.

Current settings:
No volume spacers.
62 psi = 32mm sag

LSR= 7 clicks from closed
HSR= 4 clicks from closed

HSC= 16 clicks from closed
LSC = 7 clicks from closed

I have lowered the air pressure below 60psi but it makes the fork feel like a wet noodle. I removed the one air spacer thinking that would help but I still only get 140-145ish mm of travel out of it. I live and ride in Tahoe with plenty of hits and drop to flats. I never had a problem maxing out the travel of my Ripley (Fox 34 140mm) more to the contrary. I also get a squish sound from the 36 on higher speed hits, not sure this is an issue. Is it realistic that I should be getting full travel? I feel like I'm missing something. The fork otherwise feels ok a little harsher than the Fox 34 or Pikes I've had but I think that to be expected. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you've been riding 140mm forks then maybe the stuff you're riding and how you ride it actually only needs ~140mm of travel? If your fork feels good then don't compromise that to move the o-ring all the way up. Think of it as capacity for progression.

Not surprised it feels firmer than a 34, the FIT4 damper seems to be valved for weekend warriors and GRIP2 for people who go harder.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've been riding 140mm forks then maybe the stuff you're riding and how you ride it actually only needs ~140mm of travel? If your fork feels good then don't compromise that to move the o-ring all the way up. Think of it as capacity for progression.

Not surprised it feels firmer than a 34, the FIT4 damper seems to be valved for weekend warriors and GRIP2 for people who go harder.
Thx, I got the 36 because I was overwhelming the 34. I feel like the rebound setting are to my liking. I did Ibis's set up on the DPX2 shock and feel like its dialed right away while using full 145mm of travel. Because the bike and this type of bike is new to me I'm not sure how its supposed to feel just yet. It charges downhill. I guess in my mind I thought I'd see the full use of fork travel and I have a fear of missing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.