Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have recently done a major bike upgrade from something with RockShox Rebas to Fox 36 Grips 2. Although the Fox 36 is clearly better, they just don't quite feel as good as I imagined such a high upgrade would feel. They don't feel quite as plush as I thought they would.

I recently bought a ShockWiz and in doing the calibration (which requires you to remove air and fully compress the forks, then full extend them multiple times), I got in a situation where I needed all my strength with my foot in between spokes, to fully extend the forks.

I can only imagine that the air is not transferring between the positive and negative chambers. Does this sound right? I'm guessing there is too much grease in the air chamber blocking the port between the 2 chambers. If this is the case, would this also explain the lack of plushness? Also, I've noticed that the forks do not fully extend when setup with the correct pressure - they are maybe 3mm to 6mm compressed just sitting there.

I'm happy to do a lower leg removal myself, but I don't have any of the (2 different) fluids and suitable grease yet, so just wanted opinions before spending more. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Pump the fork up to max pressure, attach your shock pump, let the air out slowly, then inflate and cycle the fork a few times every 10 psi until you reach your desired pressure.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I had the exact same thing on my fox 40 when setting up the shockwiz. As you remove air do it 5-10 psi at a time, cycle the suspension a few times then remove another 5-10 psi.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have since got hold of all the fluids and removed the air spring. There was a fair amount of grease on it and inside the stanchion. I've cleaned it all up and rebuilt. I've tried the above advice when setting the pressure again. The fork still stays in its travel slightly but it does feel like it moves a bit more freely (just from pressing down on it). I'll see how it goes on the next ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode at the weekend and the fork is noticeably more plush. However, my ShockWiz is still telling me to open up the high speed compression circuit more - but it is fully open. Any ideas? I'm 170lb kitted up - is it a case where the fork is valved for a heavier rider? Should I get the compression circuit modified to my weight?

·
Registered
243 Posts
At 170 lbs, highly unlikely. More likely is the shockwiz is just being a shockwiz, i.e. not the greatest. What sort of 'plush' are you looking for? Sometimes forks just need a month or two of riding to break in as well.

What's your current set up and what kind of trails do you ride?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
That's what the Shockwiz always says as far as I've seen among a number of riders using one. Heck, as far as I know it would still say that with zero high speed damping. My suggestion would be to put the Wiz away, use normal basic setup procedures (lot's of vids out there) ride and get used to how the sus performs, then vary setting and evaluate the effects to arrive at what you like the best. Then, get the Wiz out and see what it says. Among a 1/2 doz or so experienced and skilled riders I know who have tried the Wiz (they all worked in a large LBS), they put it on, saw what it said, thought it was interesting, and took it off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe more breaking in need - only done 100 miles so far. Currently at 60psi with one volume spacer (150mm forks)

I bought the ShockWiz as I'm bad at feeling the difference between setups. I'm happy enough to get the ShockWiz recommendations as close as a can to idea (set to balanced in the app), but just want to be sure there isn't an issue with the forks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I rode at the weekend and the fork is noticeably more plush. However, my ShockWiz is still telling me to open up the high speed compression circuit more - but it is fully open. Any ideas? I'm 170lb kitted up - is it a case where the fork is valved for a heavier rider? Should I get the compression circuit modified to my weight?
Ignore the hsc recommendations from shockwiz, for some reason it thinks everything should be softer. I suggest hsc to be 12-15 clicks out with lsc 8-10 clicks out (ie basically open)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was told straight up by a Fox service rep on the phone not to use a Shockwhiz with Fox products because they are not compatible.

Whether that's a fact or sour grapes is up for debate...

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,329 Posts
Best thing you can do for the 36 is put a Luftkappe in there. Makes a huge difference to small bump compliance.
This. You will need some break in time too. The great thing about installing a Luftkappe is that you get to clean all the grease out of the air chamber and install the correct fluid level in both fork legs. Also there tends to be left over slag from making the fork that gets into the first batch of oil in the legs.
I use the shock wiz and it's great for tuning a 36. The good range is much wider than you think.
I'm running:
Fork 2019 Fox 36 grip2 44m Offset 160mm Fox P/N 910-20-624
Vorsprung Luftkappe + 1 spacer. UPDATED

Air Pressure________62 psi
Volume Spacers_____vorsprung luftkappe + 1 spacer
Sag_______________25% dynamic
LSR_______________8
HSR_______________2
LSC_______________7
HSC_______________12 basically open.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers - I was looking at the Luftkappe and I may do that. I may increase the travel to 160mm at some point, so maybe I'll do it then. I already cleaned the grease out of the air shaft - there was a bit in there, but not a huge amount.

I'm only showing 18% dynamic sag so maybe I just need to reduce the air pressure further. I'll give it a go. Yeti actually recommend 30% sag! :eekster: The issue is I measure sag (as per Youtube videos) and get a much larger figure than the ShockWiz says.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Cheers - I was looking at the Luftkappe and I may do that. I may increase the travel to 160mm at some point, so maybe I'll do it then. I already cleaned the grease out of the air shaft - there was a bit in there, but not a huge amount.

I'm only showing 18% dynamic sag so maybe I just need to reduce the air pressure further. I'll give it a go. Yeti actually recommend 30% sag! :eekster: The issue is I measure sag (as per Youtube videos) and get a much larger figure than the ShockWiz says.
Forget sag, it's too hard to accurately repeat on a fork. Use the travel indicator o ring and do repeated trail runs to get it set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts