Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would love to see a setup guide for the fox float 36 rp2, maybe a short list like

model float rc2 2009
rider weight 82kg
pressure 65 psi
rebound 6 clicks (from fully open )
compression lo 6
compression hi 8

and a hint what style of riding is prefered (xc, dh etc)
fr/dh
jurgs

jurgs is online now Edit/Delete Messagefox

·
Registered
425 Posts
would like to that too,

model: float rc2 2009
weight without gear: 78kg
pressure: 50psi
rebound: 2 clicks from fully open
lsc: 2 clicks from fully open
hsc: 3 clicks from fully open

riding style: downhill oriented AM.

i'm looking to improve those settings so I would definitely want to hear other setups

·
Registered
155 Posts
Might as well keep this going

model float rc2 2009
rider weight 102kg
pressure 77 psi
rebound 4 clicks (from fully open )
compression lo 4
compression hi 7

Aggressive AM with drops no bigger then 6'

·
Registered
151 Posts
weight w/ gear: 175lb
pressure: 45psi (30% sag and uses at least 3/4 of travel)
rebound: 5 clicks from fully open
lsc: 2-4 clicks
hsc: none

riding style: aggressive XC mixed in with a few trips to Northstar and Downieville.

can't seem to properly setup this fork to account for both small bump compliance, excessive brake dive, and full travel. i'm surprised to see on the prior posts at how much HSC is being used. are you bottoming out the fork? i've yet to accomplish this even at my current 45psi. anything less and it's just too soft.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ricardo12 said:
weight w/ gear: 175lb
pressure: 45psi (30% sag and uses at least 3/4 of travel)
rebound: 5 clicks from fully open
lsc: 2-4 clicks
hsc: none

riding style: aggressive XC mixed in with a few trips to Northstar and Downieville.

can't seem to properly setup this fork to account for both small bump compliance, excessive brake dive, and full travel. i'm surprised to see on the prior posts at how much HSC is being used. are you bottoming out the fork? i've yet to accomplish this even at my current 45psi. anything less and it's just too soft.
I found our that this fork doesn't work too well with low air pressure, it feels like it reacts slower to everything.
try putting atleast 50-55psi (i'm ~80kg with 60psi now).

also notice that the stanchions are a bit longer than 160mm so if you're using the sag ring or dust marks to determine that you don't get full travel you might be wrong..

·
Registered
226 Posts
can someone help me out? building up an AM build w/ it and Monarch 4.2. haven't ridden it yet, but i'm kinda confused between low/high speed compression...

which settings will help with brake dive and small bump compliance and stuff like that...i'm 170lb and ride mostly technical XC/AM for long distances, don't leave the ground much, and have lots of extended climbs and downhills. here's a sample.

·
Slow Patrol
438 Posts
i'm surprised to see on the prior posts at how much HSC is being used. are you bottoming out the fork? i've yet to accomplish this even at my current 45psi. anything less and it's just too soft.
For what it's worth...

I have a 2007 Float 36 RC2. I am a tall guy and I weigh 230lbs.

I was getting a harsh feeling in the fork but I was not using all travel. The 07' is a pretty progressive air spring. FOX forks have notoriously low damping rates out of the box. More so in past and less so recently. I was running around 5 clicks HSC in from soft and I just tried something. I turned HSC up to just a couple of clicks from full on. The fork was WAY smoother. This seems counter intuitive. More damping = smoother.

I speculate that the fork had so little damping that when I hammered a rock, or whatever, I blew through travel until the spring could slow down and reverse that movement. A spring really does not have much force in it's early travel. Hey, bounce the fork in the parking lot. So I think the spring ramps up quickly and decelerates my fork/hands quickly after blowing through a certain amount of travel. With more HSC, the damping starts instantly near the top of travel and weakens as I decelerate near the end. A spring stiffens as you decelerate near the end. I believe that in my case the higher HSC typically deceleratred my fork over a greater number of inches of travel and therefore that more gradual decelerating is the smoother feeling I noticed.

Lesson learned for me is to not think I know all that. Turn the knobs and try it. You don't know what you like until you like it. That sounds funny but you know what I mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts