Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a 36 float RC2 spaced at 150mm for the last couple of months and so far I'm not really blown away by its performance. I came from a Pike 454 and while its stiffer than the Pike I cannot get it tuned to be as active. It seems like the small bump compliance is horrible.

Here is how I have tried to tune it so far. About 220 rider weight with gear.

70 psi 8 clicks on rebound and 2 clicks on high and low speed compression. Sucked... the fork was too stiff and bounced too much.

60 psi 5 clicks from full rebound. 3 clicks on high and low speed compression. Performance is a little better but still not great in the active dept.

About 58 psi 5 clicks from full rebound. Had to raise the high and low compression to 5 clicks to help avoid dive. This made the fork more plush but it started to feel sloppy.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this float so I'm hoping you guys can offer some suggestions. Are fox 36's just not that active of a fork? Maybe I should just move to a lyrik.:D

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
It seems to me you are trying different air pressure/rebound/compression settings all together and nothing is "right". Why not work one step at a time? Set the damping adjusters all the way "out" (counter clockwise) then:

1 - air pressure (for sag, then adjust on the trail if it's using too much or too little travel)

2 - rebound - fast enough it doesn't pack down, just slow enough it's not too bouncy while riding.

3 - low speed compression - as needed to control wallow and brake dive

4 - high speed compression - as needed. I don't understand this damping feature well enough to know exactly how to tune it. Once everything else is dialled in, try different high speed settings and see how it rides. Make a note of what works in what conditions.

It may be the Float36 is too linear for your weight, but see what you can do by tuning it carefully first.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CharacterZero said:
:thumbsup: It's funny because it's true!

Yeah, one first poster hammered out how to set it up. Perhaps you could list your weight and the austin riding selection and see if someone else posts up their settings.
Trust me, I have been seriously thinking about it. I am really tired of tinkering with this thing.:madman: Hopefully I can tell in the next couple of rides how fsrxc's and your suggestions pan out.

Weight is about 220 pounds with gear. Local riding is pretty technical with lots of rock ledges, square edge hits and baby head rocks on the trail. Oh and more loose rocks depending hot and dry it has been.

·
Registered
919 Posts
joltz said:
I have been running a 36 float RC2 spaced at 150mm for the last couple of months and so far I'm not really blown away by its performance. I came from a Pike 454 and while its stiffer than the Pike I cannot get it tuned to be as active. It seems like the small bump compliance is horrible.

Here is how I have tried to tune it so far. About 220 rider weight with gear.

70 psi 8 clicks on rebound and 2 clicks on high and low speed compression. Sucked... the fork was too stiff and bounced too much.

60 psi 5 clicks from full rebound. 3 clicks on high and low speed compression. Performance is a little better but still not great in the active dept.

About 58 psi 5 clicks from full rebound. Had to raise the high and low compression to 5 clicks to help avoid dive. This made the fork more plush but it started to feel sloppy.

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this float so I'm hoping you guys can offer some suggestions. Are fox 36's just not that active of a fork? Maybe I should just move to a lyrik.:D

Thoughts?
The 36 VAN is super smooooth. I guy i ride with replaced the left side internals of the 36 air spring with a coil spring. Worked out well. I think it was around $60.00 in parts for the pre-load cap and lower srping support rod. Probably another $40.00 for a spring.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a cheap conversion, but I didn't get the VAN in the first place because I couldn't space it down to 150mm. A friend of mine has the 36 VAN and it is absolute butter smooth but he wants to run 160 all the time.

Realistically I'm not really interested in messing with a conversion to coil. If I'm not satisfied in the end it will go bye bye and a Rock Shox will come back into the mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.