Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I use slick honey in the seals of my fox 36 grip2, does it get splashed by the damper oil? I was wondering if it will thicken the damper oil.
Maybe the damper cartridge itself is sealed from the leg of the fork since it requires bleeding. If so, why do we need do much oil in the damper leg anyway?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would say yes, it's an issue and a reson that no grease is used by fox. The oil mixes with the grease and as a result gets thicker and can clog damper ports. The grip2 is very similar to the old Marzocchi damer that was on the 380. Marzochi was very clear not to use regualr grease. They said you has to use a very specific seal grease. This was the one Marzocchi recommended.: https://www.amazon.com/d/Water-Coolers-Filters/Dow-Corning-Molykote-55-Grease/B00B2OHYMU. The damper is sealed from the bath but over time oil gets sucked past the seal and adds to the volume in the damper. Thats why grip 2 has the self bleeding function where when it gets too full it dumps oil back to the bath.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Damper is sealed and separate from the bath oil. Bath oil only mixes very very slowly with damper oil via getting past damper shaft seal. The bottom of the stanchion on the air spring side is closed so volume for air and bath oil below it is limited. The stanchion leg on the damper side is open so there's plenty of volume to allow using more bath oil.

The mixing of bath and damper oil is very slow. The effect of any small amount of grease first mixing with bath oil then mixing with damper oil will be infinitesimal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.