Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - bumping my 29er 2019 Fox 36 Factory Fit4 from 160mm to 170mm. Wanted to attempt it myself instead of going to my LBS.

I got this air shaft, and it didn't come with instructions or anything... so wanted to check if this video/supply list by Fox is the best way to go about it still. Do you need the Fox brand fluid?

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=849

And also if anyone has any pointers they are welcomed! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The video instructions are fine. Personally, I don’t think fox brand fluid is necessary. I’ve used maxima 10wt in the past with no issues. I’d be more likely to follow their recommendations on the damper side.

One word of warning is that not all dampers can be used at 170mm. Some max out at 160mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The video instructions are fine. Personally, I don't think fox brand fluid is necessary. I've used maxima 10wt in the past with no issues. I'd be more likely to follow their recommendations on the damper side.

One word of warning is that not all dampers can be used at 170mm. Some max out at 160mm

I have a 2019 model with Fit4 (3 position), do you mean to say that I'd need to swap the damper to a Grip2 or something?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have a 2019 model with Fit4 (3 position), do you mean to say that I'd need to swap the damper to a Grip2 or something?
I'm only saying that your damper might not allow for 170mm of travel. Some dampers are available in two lengths... "short" and "long" stroke. As mentioned above, it's difficult to know without a call into Fox.

If yours won't work with a 170mm air spring,l and you're hell bent on running 170mm of travel, you'll need to buy a new long travel damper. The flavor (FIT4, GRIP[2]) is up to you. As you probably know, this is a much pricier upgrade than the longer air spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.