Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RS Lyrik can't really take the kind of beating I'm giving it, sadly. The crown-stanchion press fit keeps coming loose when I'm riding hard. Had it replaced once and now it's broken again.

So I'm looking at Fox.

Now here is my problem.

The fork will sit on a Helius AM, so I need the fork to be 545mm axle to crown (160mm travel).

Though I read that the 160mm version of the 36 has a lighter (and probably weaker crown) than the 180 mm version. Ofcourse does this bug me considering what happened to my Lyrik. So I would much rather get the 180 mm version of the 36 for improved toughness.

The Fox float can easily be adjusted down to 160 mm, but would this ruin the damping curve and make it feel odd?

I'm not a great fan of air forks, so my first choice would be the Vanilla version. Can I buy a 180mm version of the 36 then stick a 160mm spring in there and have an 180 mm chassis with 160mm travel?

I would really like some opinions on this.

/ Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Theres a large assumption here the Fox's could/would fail the way the RS did. Personally, I think its worth trying a 160mm version straight from the box first. Avoids extra hassle and cost for which you can't yet be sure is warranted.

But to actually answer your question on whether it can technically be done - sorry i don't have a clue :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mikael, which lyrik model do you have 2009 or 2010, and exactly what kind of riding caused the problem?
I got the u-turn 2010 for my new AM and I am still wondering whether I made the right choice or I should have gone with the 36 coil.
Don't get me wrong, I think the fork is great (though I still can't use the last inch of travel), but I am also thinking of getting a 36 coil next year.
Will this be an upgrade or just a waste of money?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tlr what about stiction and small bump? A1helius ofcourse I'm probably being alittle bit drastic but I really can't afford breaking another expensive fork. Mario just ride the Lyrik. My lyrik was a 08 an i killed it while descending. It's super good damping vice

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I am raving my 2010 Lyric Air with the DH motion control... And I thrash it, as do my other 2 riding buddies.....It is far better than my 2009 Fox Talas I have to say

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
i won't buy RS when FOX are producing such well damped mtb forks.
the float suffers no stiction whatsoever, pretty good small bump response too, but i do strip down and clean, replenish with float and fork fluids and add a layer of suspension grease to the top bushings every month or so, keeping them buttery.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Totem and Lyrik have the same issue? So what you're saying is there is some kind of across the board weakness with the crown ass'y on RS forks, no? If you're mullering a Totem crown/stanchion too is there any hope for you finding a fork that will stand up to what you're doing to it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Seriously, it is about that if you think there is a problem with them and you've got to go to Fox to fix it.

The question I would have is (which is what you're asking I guess) that if you're breaking a Totem crown ass'y (as you suggest above) is any single crown fork going to be tough enough? Having had a 36 (160) and owning a Totem, I would've thought the latter plenty tough enough, and given the Fox tends to emphasise taking weight out of stuff as a virtue I can't see that if you're totalling a 40mm single crown fork like the Totem that you're going to have much luck with anything else, even a 'beefed' up new 36.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick-o-lai I have not Totaled the lyrik nor a totem. I have always liked the Lyrik but this time I'll try somthing different. Among marzocchi, Bos, Fox and Magura I find Fox the most interesting.

Simple as that. Dropping that discussion now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.