Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chart says this takes 40cc of 5w teflon oil. About 10cc of oil, the right amount, came out of the air side of the legs, but none - well like two drops - came out of the damper side. I'm supposed to fill it up with 40cc now? This is the first time I've had it apart and I bought it new.

The damper functioned normally and I never noticed any leaks or oil on the stanchions. I don't understand why it would be so dry.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
It should not be that dry. What did the foam ring look like? Does everything look copacetic otherwise? In any case, when reassembling use the specified quantity of oil. Some may suggest using Fox 20W Gold like used on the air side instead of the 5W teflon infused stuff. That's probably OK. A small amount gets ingested by the damper (which spits out excess via a port) so over time the bath oil mixes with the 5W damper oil. How long this takes is the question. Fox seems to think it happens fast enough to require using the same 5W fluid for both the damper and bath oil on the damper side.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Everything else looked ok - foam rings moist and a little dark, but not too dirty. Seals good. I'll fill it up and go riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.