Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding the open mode 22 adjustment settings compared to the on the fly lever. Is the lever adjustment in medium mode equivalent to any of the 22 settings in open mode?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Regarding the open mode 22 adjustment settings compared to the on the fly lever. Is the lever adjustment in medium mode equivalent to any of the 22 settings in open mode?
It may feel the same in certain situations but it will likely not be a direct one to one. As a side note, check out this text from the vorsprung fractive installation manual for the fox 34/36 with fit 4. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._Fit4_Damper_Systems_3.pdf?131374290201626989

"1. The stock Fox LSC adjuster (not replaced with this system) is quite ineffective beyond approximately 12 clicks out from fully closed/firm. Although it has approx 22 clicks total, the 10 softest of these make little difference, so your realistic range is between 1-12 clicks from fully closed. We don't generally recommend running the adjuster fully closed - if you need to do that, you should either consider using a firmer HSC setting or installing a firmer valving. Likewise, if 12 clicks out is still too firm, use a softer HSC setting or a softer valving."

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
So the dial will exceed the firmness of the lever in the middle setting?
What?

The closed->firm->open lever, controls a slot in the damper assembly that controls how much oil flows through it. In the closed mode, the slot is not open and no oil flows. In the firm position the slot is about 1/2 way open. In the open mode, it is open completely. In the open position, the fine tuning adjustment allows even more oil to flow around an additional part of the damper. 22 clicks of this is fully open-open, so to speak. Since open already allows more oil to flow past the slot in the damper than firm, there is no setting equivalent to the firm setting in the open mode. You can look at the design drawing on the FOX website for further clarification.

·
Registered
846 Posts
On the subject of the Fox 34 and LSC...

Mine has the Fit 4 damper and I'm pretty sure I have the air pressure dialed. I'm ~180 lbs. ready to ride and I'm running it at 60psi in Open mode with 16 clicks of LSC. How would I go about reducing the amount of brake dive I'm getting on relatively flat, twisty, pedally trails without making the fork feel harsh and giving up small bump compliance? I feel like it is already a borderline performer in those situations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Mine has the Fit 4 damper and I'm pretty sure I have the air pressure dialed. I'm ~180 lbs. ready to ride and I'm running it at 60psi in Open mode with 16 clicks of LSC. How would I go about reducing the amount of brake dive I'm getting on relatively flat, twisty, pedally trails without making the fork feel harsh and giving up small bump compliance? I feel like it is already a borderline performer in those situations.

Thanks.
Vorsprung Luftkappe

https://vorsprungsuspension.com/products/vorsprung-luftkappe-fox-34-36

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,168 Posts

Thanks.
Given the PSI you are running, it's probably way over-damped, like mine was, this puts you in between a rock and a hard-place. Vorsprung Fractive if it's a non-SC model, or Push tune if it's not. I'm more like 165-170 running more like 80psi now, now that the damping has been reduced. All is not perfect, it still feels like the HSC and HSR are pretty heavy, but significantly better than before, as evidenced that I can run higher PSI with less spacers. That is when you know you are getting decent support (not diving excessively). Like you, I was having to run around 55psi and a bunch of spacers to get any compliance, because it was just way too overdamped. The real kicker was that my 32 SC (used on the same bike for races) felt better than the 34 SC that had more travel. That's finally changed with the tune, but that's how crappy the factory tune was.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I run 90 on mine (34/130), with around -10LSC from closed. IT's sharp on flat trails, but performs the best in a high speed DH situation. I weigh around 205#. Just accept that it will feel, almost, locked out on casual trails.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That setup sounds about as useful to me as running a rigid fork.
Until you run white knuckled, off a drop into a G out. It recovers and supports you at speeds that a comfortable setup won't.

Keep in mind every bike is different, riding style, speed, and rider. Everything on here is a suggestion to try, odds it won't work for you, occasionally it surprises you.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
This vid on the Fox site shows how the compression damping circuits work. Scroll down to the middle of the page to the vids.

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=34s

Basically, in Open mode, the low speed circuit and high speed circuit are in parallel. Oil flows through the low speed circuit until at increasing fork speed the oil pressure increases enough to start to open the high speed stack. The oil then flows through both. This will happen at lower fork speeds as you increase the low speed damping knob (CW). In the Medium mode, the low speed circuit is closed off and oil flows only through the high speed shim stack. In the Firm mode, oil flows through a separate blow-off shim stack followed by the high speed stack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.