Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with settings on the new Fox 34 Grip 2.

I just got a new Factory Fox 34 Grip 2 130mm travel. Previous fork was a 2016 or 2017 Fox 34 FIT4, which I will put on a new hardtail I'm building. I'm around 170 lbs. The FIT4 was originally 120mm, and I was not happy with thesmall bump compliance, so I had it extended to 130mm and custom tuned by PUSH. It was better, but I still wasn't totally happy, so I installed a Vorsprung Luftkaffe air spring, and I'm pretty happy with it now. Fox recommends around 77 psi pressure for my weight, but I only run about 68 psi, which gives me nearly full travel on a typical ride.

The new Grip 2 felt pretty good out of the box with the Fox recommended settings, but I wasn't getting full travel, so I think I need to reduce pressure. On a fast, rocky downhill I stopped part way and reduced rebound (made it faster). I wanted to just reduce high speed rebound, but both the high and low knobs turned together, so they were both reduced. It felt smoother in the high-speed chattery stuff.

This is a good video on tuning the Fox 36 Grip 2, but this a Fox 36 with 180mm travel, so I'm not sure how much applies to my Fox 34 130mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9vsOHmmmpo

There are a couple of interesting things in this video. First, he sets sag by putting all his weight on the handlebars. No wonder he likes 30% sag. I haven't seen this method before. However, I do have a hard time setting sag by myself, so maybe this is a better method. I also tend to just use sag as a starting point, then I adjust pressure so I get nearly full travel during a typical ride. I know that progressiveness (number of volume spacers) can also affect this.

In the video, he also said that more high-speed rebound makes the bike more planted and stable in the chattery stuff, but in my little test it felt more composed and controlled when I reduced high-speed rebound.

I usually run high-speed compression fully open to improve small bump compliance, and I dial in a little low-speed compression to reduce brake dive and provide some pedaling platform.

Any tips or experience tuning this fork?

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I like to go for ~25% sag in the attack position (standing, leaning forward) and adjust travel used with spacers. Lowering the pressure you wind up riding deeper into the travel which makes the fork harsher, among other things. For damping settings, I start with big changes each way first so that the effect is obvious and too much, then smaller changes to hone in on optimum.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I have found that the recommend setting are pretty well spot on. The only real divergence for me is I pulled one spacer and am running a bit higher air pressure.

My baseline:
Fork: 2021 34, GRIP 2, 140mm of travel

My weight: 62kgs.
Air pressure: 65psi
HSC: 3-5 from closed depending on the trail
LSC: 7-10 from closed depending on the trail
HSR: 8 from closed.
LSR: 9 from closed.

I do use full travel but it takes a pretty big event to get in that last 20% of travel.

I am super happy with the fork. I find it works well on a variety of terrain and can swallow some significant smoothly while leaving some travel in reserve.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found that the recommend setting are pretty well spot on. The only real divergence for me is I pulled one spacer and am running a bit higher air pressure.

My baseline:
Fork: 2021 34, GRIP 2, 140mm of travel

My weight: 62kgs.
Air pressure: 65psi
HSC: 3-5 from closed depending on the trail
LSC: 7-10 from closed depending on the trail
HSR: 8 from closed.
LSR: 9 from closed.

I do use full travel but it takes a pretty big event to get in that last 20% of travel.

I am super happy with the fork. I find it works well on a variety of terrain and can swallow some significant smoothly while leaving some travel in reserve.
Thanks for the numbers. You are very light so I wonder how these numbers translate to a heavier rider. With lower air pressure it seems like you'd need less damping. Your HSC seems very high -- it seems as if this would make it harsh through fast rock gardens. I tend to run my HSC fully open.

How many spacers are installed from the factory. Is it 3?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Thanks for the numbers. You are very light so I wonder how these numbers translate to a heavier rider. With lower air pressure it seems like you'd need less damping. Your HSC seems very high -- it seems as if this would make it harsh through fast rock gardens. I tend to run my HSC fully open.

How many spacers are installed from the factory. Is it 3?
My fork came with 2 spacers.

I did do some test runs with pretty well every HSC (and LSC) setting. I found that with HSC wide open the fork would get deep into travel on some hits where I didn't want it to. My current HSC (and LSC) setting gives me a nice balance between controlling the motion and harshness.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have used the Pivot web site for settings on the 429Trail------I have found these to be very close to spot on and should apply to other brands as the fork is the same--but running 58 pounds (a bit lower) and slowed rebound one click and am happy-----170 pounds and intermediate rider----no big drops

1 - 6 of 6 Posts