Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Is there any difference whatsoever between 820-02-528-KIT and 820-02-434-KIT? LBS called Fox and got the latter part# while looking it up on the web site via 4-digit code came up with the former.

Google image search results are unreliable because bike part retailers use the various images interchangeably so you have no idea what you're going to get, and getting Fox on the phone seems impossible, so I'm hoping someone here actually knows WTF is going on.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
820-02-434-KIT Air Shaft Assy, 2018, 34, 140mm, FLOAT LC NA 2, 1.214 Bore

820-02-528-KIT Service Set: Air Shaft Assy, 2019, 34, 140mm, FLOAT LC NA 2, 1.214 Bore, Al NP

Looks like the 528 kit is the newer 2019 assembly. Not sure if there is an difference aside from that

·
Registered
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Did you even punch those numbers into Google and go look up the Fox page results? :skep: If you did, you would realise that no, they are not the same, the 434 kit is for the speed ped elec version of the fork, so if you have that version of the fork, then that's what you want.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=953
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=860

View attachment 1267309
I am not sure you're correct on that. I think the note just says Speed ped elec forks run air shafts that are 2mm smaller than standard. IE a 36 ped elec will use a 34 shaft & a 34 ped elec will use a 32m.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Did you even punch those numbers into Google and go look up the Fox page results? :skep: If you did, you would realise that no, they are not the same, the 434 kit is for the speed ped elec version of the fork, so if you have that version of the fork, then that's what you want.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=953
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=860

View attachment 1267309
No it's not. The 434 kit is for the standard 34, likewise the 528 kit is also for the standard 34. The only change is to the negative plate material.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, let's just say that I'll believe what Fox wrote over you here, call me doubtful. I'll also assume that when they state that they have different bores, 1.110 vs 1.214, that they're not interchangeable, because high precision fitment, nothing to do with material used. This is unless someone recently changed the meaning of the word bore, then I might stand correct. If you can enlighten me with actual evidence/proof, you know like you've actually used both air shafts assemblies in the same fork and it worked properly, then I might believe you ;)

No it's not. The 434 kit is for the standard 34, likewise the 528 kit is also for the standard 34. The only change is to the negative plate material.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
LynX sorry dude, you're totally wrong on this. :madman:

From Google & Fox : ***Note: 36mm E-Bike+ forks utilize 34mm Air Shaft Assemblies***

Both kits are for regular Float 34's or Float 36 Ped Elecs.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Well, let's just say that I'll believe what Fox wrote over you here, call me doubtful. I'll also assume that when they state that they have different bores, 1.110 vs 1.214, that they're not interchangeable, because high precision fitment, nothing to do with material used. This is unless someone recently changed the meaning of the word bore, then I might stand correct. If you can enlighten me with actual evidence/proof, you know like you've actually used both air shafts assemblies in the same fork and it worked properly, then I might believe you ;)
Both kits listed are for 1.214 bore. Look at the chart you posted.

The ONLY difference between them both is 2018 has a plastic negative plate and 2019 has an alloy negative plate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I don't believe the 2017 air spring was the EVOL version but I might be wrong. If it isn't it has a smaller negative air volume.
It looks similar :-\

I got one reply from fox stating:

Hello, 820-02-528-kit is the 2019 na2 34 air shaft assembly in 140

820-02-434-kit is just the 2018 version same thing we just arent making this one anymore.
So it sounds like they're the same. I forgot to ask about the 2017 version.

I also asked Fox what was the physical length of the shaft since there i an extra "140mm" shaft lying around, but I'm not sure if it's the right part. I don't suppose anyone here knows what the dimensions are. Fox said they were out of stock so they couldn't measure it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update:
According to Fox and Vorsprung and what I can garner from schematics...

The 2017, 2018, and 2019 air shafts are, at least in whole, interchangeable. The 2018 and 2019 versions are functionally identical but the 2018 appears to have a plastic neg plate instead of aluminum. The 2018/19 has a topout spacer which is supposed to help with chatter, as well as lower friction sealheads.

Now, my only remaining problem is that nobody has the 140mm air shafts in stock :madman:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quick update:
According to Fox and Vorsprung and what I can garner from schematics...

The 2017, 2018, and 2019 air shafts are, at least in whole, interchangeable. The 2018 and 2019 versions are functionally identical but the 2018 appears to have a plastic neg plate instead of aluminum. The 2018/19 has a topout spacer which is supposed to help with chatter, as well as lower friction sealheads.
I just replaced an air shaft on 2018 34 fork with a 2019 version and it works- just as you say. I attach a picture the plastic one is the 2018. According to the Worldwide Cyclery website only the 2018 and 2019 shafts are interchangeable.

Attachments

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,315 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I'll piggy-back on this one hoping to get some clarification.

I have a 2018 Perf Elite 34 (FiT4) that is set at 120mm travel from factory.

I have read and read, and tried to email and call Fox with no answer (I assume low-staffing/ high demand due to COVID stuff) to see if I can increase the travel from 120 to 140.

1) can this fork go 140?
2) is the airshaft all I need?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I'll piggy-back on this one hoping to get some clarification.

I have a 2018 Perf Elite 34 (FiT4) that is set at 120mm travel from factory.

I have read and read, and tried to email and call Fox with no answer (I assume low-staffing/ high demand due to COVID stuff) to see if I can increase the travel from 120 to 140.

1) can this fork go 140?
2) is the airshaft all I need?
In this thread (post #2) it was indicated that the 2018 Fox 34 Performance and Factory 29 forks can be extended to 140mm but no further:
https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-susp...er-140mm-cant-go-150-160-why-not-1064105.html

I've done a similar conversion with my Fox 36 fork - all you need is the airshaft - the damper isn't travel-specific. From what I see you should be good to go.

EDITING this post: the dampers do have travel ranges so you will need to make sure that yours is compatible with 140mm of travel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.