FOX has been on a roll lately so they decided to attack the 'unicorn' of the fork world, a sub 3 pound suspension fork that is stiff, plush and tuneable. They constrained the parameters to only 100mm of travel and Boost front hub compatible only.
Video: Emily Batty checks out her World Cup race fork for the first time and she is pleased.
- 15QR x 110 Boost and 15QR x 100 Kabolt axle options
- 27.5" and 29" wheel options
- 100mm travel
- Fit4 and Fit Grip three position damper for improved control
- Lockout for increased efficiency
- Factory Series models feature Genuine Kashima Coat
- Gloss Orange, Matte Black, Gloss White
They accomplished the goal by rethinking the fork chassis and shrinking it. Even with Boost 110mm hub compatibility, they reduced the chassis to be optimized for the task at hand. They limited the travel to 100mm so they can have a set damper length that didn't extend all the way down the fork leg. They then used the open space at the bottom of the fork leg and and used a 'stepped' design to make room for the Boost hub and brake rotor without requiring a wide fork.
- 120mm upper tube spacing (32 model uses 130mm)
- Max tire size 2.3"
- Max rotor size: 27.5"- 180mm, 29" - 203mm
- Rake: 27.5" - 44mm, 29" - 44mm or 51mm
The genius is in the space created for the rotor without interfering with the damper (left). Svelte profile (right) of the 29er fork (click to enlarge).
Once they had the structure of the fork dialed, they went to work with the milling machine and shaved material while balancing the stiffness requirements. What they achieved is quite remarkable as they came up with a fork that is truly under 3 pounds with an uncut steerer tube and a front thru-axle installed.
- 32 SC 27.5 100mm = 1,355g / 2.98lb
- 225g / 0.49lb less than MY16 32
- 32 SC 29 100mm = 1,360g / 2.99lb
- 255g / 0.56lb less than MY16 32
- 165mm steerer tube with star nut installed and Kabolt axle
Continue to page 2 for more on the FOX 32 Step-Cast fork and a full photo gallery »
The Fit4 damper is FOX's crowning achievement for simple yet adjustable damping (click to enlarge).
But the greatest news of all is the performance of the fork is similar the latest FOX forks with the Fit4 damper. This is even more important because 100mm of travel is a lot more meaningful if it is quality and tunable travel.
- Superior damping performance
- Upgraded to our proven FIT RC2 10mm shaft architecture
- 10mm shaft provides more oil flow through the base valve
- Dual circuit rebound allows more controlled return from hard hits and quicker recovery from successive impacts
- 32 SC-specific cartridge design and damping tune
Tunability is key for this fork as it allows the rider to extract every mm of precious travel. Low speed compression is available in the Wide Open mode where most of the descending will be done. Up to three volume spacers are allowed too to determine how progressive the shock is in its travel range.
- Self-equalizing positive/negative air spring
- Utilizes our patented Float shock transfer port technology, first introduced in our circa 1999
- Float shock
- Smoother performance with reduced friction
- Less vibration feedback through handlebar
- Highly tunable with air volume spacers
- Adjust the amount of mid stroke and bottom out resistance
- Pricing is competitive for this XC racing weapon.
And no, it's not just available in hi-vis orange. Other colors are available too.
For more information visit /www.ridefox.com.