Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to remove the lower legs from my forks so that I can give everything a good clean, just wanted to ask a few questions so I hopefully wont run into any problems. I have all the required tools but just need to make sure I have the other essentials.

So far I have some Fox Float Fluid which I will use to lube the seals, will I need to also purchase some 10wt shock oil? Can I remove the lower legs without loosing the shock oil? I only have around 10 hours use of the shocks so assume the oil should be fine, just want to keep everything clean so they last as long as possible.

Do I need to replace the shock oil as good practice? if so what would be a decent choice of shock oil? can I just use a good quality 10wt motorcycle fork oil?

Any advice much appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Not sure how you intend to remove the lower legs and not lose any oil--I don't think its possible unless you catch all the oil in a super super clean container. Oil is absorbing whatever dirt/grime/etc is getting past the wiper seals and ending up in the foam rings, so i don't see why you wouldn't replace it. Oil is cheap compared to the price of the fork so why not do it right.

If your shock only has 10hrs of use but you feel like you need to open it up and clean it, go ahead and change at least the foam rings. Fox has a lot of tech info on their site on how to service these forks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how you intend to remove the lower legs and not lose any oil--I don't think its possible unless you catch all the oil in a super super clean container. Oil is absorbing whatever dirt/grime/etc is getting past the wiper seals and ending up in the foam rings, so i don't see why you wouldn't replace it. Oil is cheap compared to the price of the fork so why not do it right.

If your shock only has 10hrs of use but you feel like you need to open it up and clean it, go ahead and change at least the foam rings. Fox has a lot of tech info on their site on how to service these forks.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, this is the reason I am asking because I have not done this before. I assumed I could remove the lower legs with the bike upside down and not loose any oil, I was obviously wrong so will purchase some shock oil.

I was just going to clean the foam rings, re soak them in fresh oil and re use them. The conditions I ride in are very dusty so I will be keeping on top of maintenance as im sure it wont doing any harm!

Can you recommend a good quality shock oil? I have read that I could save money in the long term by buying motorcycle shock oil rather than shock oil sold by Fox or Rock Shox ect..

Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've only used the Fox oil so far, but I'm sure if you search on here you'll find what other people have used. BTW if you're not opening up the air chamber and taking out the air spring, you don't need any Float Fluid since that system will remain closed.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
What you will need for the seals is to reapply suspension specific grease since its such a high friction component. I use Buzzy's Slick Honey which is becoming an industry standard as more and more LBS are using it.

I've serviced my Fox Float many times and I don't see a way you can remove the lowers without emptying the fluid. What you can do is just empty it into a clean tub and reuse it if you needed to.

You could use most 10wt Suspension oil. I use the Maxima 10WT fork oil in mine and it works great and is half the price of Fox Oil, which is just Silkolene Pro RSF oild but rebranded.

Silkolene Fork Oil - SILKOLENE PRO RSF RACING SUSPENSION FLUID Jazz Motorsports

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could use most 10wt Suspension oil. I use the Maxima 10WT fork oil in mine and it works great and is half the price of Fox Oil, which is just Silkolene Pro RSF oild but rebranded.
Great thanks for the advice.

I have ordered 1 liter of 10wt Silkolene Pro RSF Shock Oil so once that turns up I can give my shocks a good clean.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
From what I have read the Fox Float Fluid that I have bought can be used to lube the seals, and to soak the foam rings once they have been cleaned.
The foam rings are soaked in the 10wt oil, not the float fluid. Float fluid is only used on the air side of the fork. Suspension grease like Slick Honey are used to lube the seals.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The foam rings are soaked in the 10wt oil, not the float fluid. Float fluid is only used on the air side of the fork. Suspension grease like Slick Honey are used to lube the seals.
Thanks,

I have be reading through this link, (link is for part 4 of 4 "servicing the FIT cartridge")

Hack Racer: TECH: Part 4 of 4 - How to bleed Fox FIT cartridge and reassemble a Fox F32 Fork

About half way down the page it says to soak the foam rings in the Fox Float Fluid? Not meaning to be argumentative but now I have bought the stuff I may as well get some use out of it lol :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts