Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
whats your goal? you are talking GRAMS if looking at it from a weight weenie perspective and of course dont forget a 9mm DT RWS skewer or the like is not 0 grams so pretty much trival weight difference.

I hate the notion of 15mm but if you are set on Fox AND have a hub or will have a hub thats 15mm convertible then its a no freaking brainer, get the 15mm. While 9mm may be enough for you (have no idea of your weight, riding style, etc), the 15mm will certainly not be worse.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been more specific. I'm building up a new Ti 29er & the fork that seems to be the best option is the Fox. I see the 100mm comes with the thru axle option but my DT Swiss 240 Hub is the older 9mm version. What I want to know is if the advantages of the thru axle outweigh (No pun intended) going with the lighter 9mm & not having to replace (or modify) my existing hub...Seems like the future of forks is this thru-axle but is it just marketing or a true meaningful & beneficial innovation?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
rooster44 said:
I should have been more specific. I'm building up a new Ti 29er & the fork that seems to be the best option is the Fox. I see the 100mm comes with the thru axle option but my DT Swiss 240 Hub is the older 9mm version. What I want to know is if the advantages of the thru axle outweigh (No pun intended) going with the lighter 9mm & not having to replace (or modify) my existing hub...Seems like the future of forks is this thru-axle but is it just marketing or a true meaningful & beneficial innovation?
lighter is irrelevant - its too negligible to be a factor though your 240 hubs are really light, so there is that

however, and more important, is how much do you weigh? how much money do you have to burn (for new hub/wheel assuming your 240 cannot convert to 15mm or 20mm)? what type of riding will Ti 29er be for?

I honestly dont know much about the DT line of hubs (in terms of being able to convert to other axle configurations) but certainly, if you plan to do XC riding and you are not a phat ass and I assume your new Ti 29er (hardtail i assume?) will be for XC type purposes, or even more, assuming you dont plan to get too aggro and dont weigh too much, something like the DT RWS skewer will be MORE than enough. It may VERY well be that putting money into a whole new wheel is a total waste of money

Stiffer is perhaps a real thing with the 15mm or better yet 20mm thru axles BUT, and a big butt, it may not translate into anything meaningful on the trail which is what i think you are asking. again, that depends on your weight, riding style, etc

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm ~170, The bike build in question is 20.1 LBS. I'm not a weight weenie, but a quarter pound on a wheel is substancial on a 20 pound hartail. The hub I have is laced to a 26 inch wheel so it needs to be broken down & built back up anyway- If the way to go is the thru axle, I can just sell the already built 26" wheel & get the appropriate hub for the fork that way. I don't think the 240 I have can convert but I may be wrong? I do all XC riding and definately do not get "aggro." At the end of the day, I just need to know if the thru axle is legit or just new hype to sell forks to folks who would have otherwise just kept with what they have for a couple years...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
rooster44 said:
I'm ~170, The bike build in question is 20.1 LBS. I'm not a weight weenie, but a quarter pound on a wheel is substancial on a 20 pound hartail. The hub I have is laced to a 26 inch wheel so it needs to be broken down & built back up anyway- If the way to go is the thru axle, I can just sell the already built 26" wheel & get the appropriate hub for the fork that way. I don't think the 240 I have can convert but I may be wrong? I do all XC riding and definately do not get "aggro." At the end of the day, I just need to know if the thru axle is legit or just new hype to sell forks to folks who would have otherwise just kept with what they have for a couple years...
ah...gotcha. well thats a bit different then

keeping in mind this is just one MTBRetard's opinion, my strong opinion is that you should then get a 15mm hub/fork combo. While I have no quantitative data to support it, nor does anybody have meaningful data, one thing I am certain of is that a 15mm will be no worse than standard/conventional front axle, even if just for XC riding for a 170 lb dude.

Sure a standard qr would probably be fine for your application but again, if its (15mm) no worse then why not get it? I personally believe it does help but again, cant quantify how meaningful it is. If you gotta get a new wheel built and rebuilding that wheel IMHO makes less sense than selling it and buying a new 29er wheel with new hub, I personally would get another front hub that woudl work with the 15mm (if you are set on a Fox). I am a fan of RockShox 20mm configurations w/ Maxle but thats me...I have owned a F29 fork, and like it, but prefer the REBA 29er w/ Maxle (I own 2 of them) but again, its just one fool's opinion

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
The 15qr is easier to use than a standard QR, and easier than a 9mm dt swiss rws racket system. With a 15qr you only have to loosen one side and the other side stays put. If your taking your wheel on and off the ease of use makes 15qr my choice!, and its way stiffer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Corvette said:
The 240 hub can be converted to 15 mm, see the dtswiss.com or CRC site. From that point of view it's not much to decide, I'd take QR15 over standard dropout anyday.
Only the oversize 240 hub can be converted to 15mm. It comes as a 20mm.

The standard 240 that comes as a normal 5mm qr can only be converted to 9mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.