Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I ended up sending mine in anyway. There was something else wrong, it wouldn't compress whether the lockout was on or not. Did you send yours to OGC?

Also, I've decided push-to-unlock is stupid. If anything goes wrong with the cable or remote, you'll likely be stuck with your suspension locked out.
I did send mine in to Outdoor Gear. So far not the best experience. Got the shock back after 3 weeks, not a terrible turn around but upon installing the shock it would not lock out. I wasn't going through the trouble to send it back so I dug into It abit. When I called them I assured them all that was needed was the cable stop but they installed a new rebound knob, cable stop and the blue cable reel thing as well as a new (much stiffer) spring and lockout shaft. The problem was the lock out shaft had the cam lobe in a different orientation and once the reel was clocked and added spring tension it rested in the unlocked position. Thankfully they sent the parts they removed back to me and I was able to swap out the lockout shaft with out removing the rebound assembly.

I will also put money on it that there is no need for a nitro recharge as there is no seals under the cable stop. And a handful of trek top fuels have swapped the part for better routing and haven't had any issues. To bad for me I listened and waster $150.00. All I needed was the $20 part. I should also add that there was zero grease on any of the parts they took out. The fox diagrams are pretty clear what great goes where. I won't be using them again and will find another shop come rebuild time.

I also think the push to unlock is silly but my fork is also set up the same way. Fox says that there is less stress on the internals with it set up as push to unlock.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I got mine back in less than 2 weeks. They said the knob was installed incorrectly from the factory.

They must be replacing the entire eyelet assembly in order to switch the cable hanger because I think they said $100 just for the parts, which would take ~4 weeks to order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a query related to this topic.

I just purchased a used but mint condition 2016-17 Fox Float 34 Factory Fork (150mm travel) which I'm planning to install on my 2016 Scott Genius. My current fork is a 2016 Fox Float 32 Performance Series with remote. Back in those days Scott would fit a 32 on a bike with 150mm of travel. A Fox 32 with a 150mm of travel for AM purpose is OK but less than ideal as one can feel the flex when riding technical terrains, hence the upgrade. I was looking for a 36 but saw a mint condition 34 and it goes with the era of my bike

As you know Scott bikes have this Twinloc remote and all of their forks are fitted with the remote top cap unit (820-05-332-KIT or 820-05-333-KIT). Using the Twinloc remote one can go from Open to Medium to Fully Lock (though I cannot feel any difference in the Medium setting on my current fork. Fully Lock, yes) using the remote lever which can be pushed twice from fully open

I just ordered the remote top cap kit for my newly acquired 34 and it should arrive in a couple of weeks. I've also checked on the Fox website on how to install it. The local Fox service centre here in Malaysia will not install it for me unless I pay them the full price for parts and service. They won't accept the parts I've sourced on my own and just charge for the service. Something to do with keeping their parts original from Fox. Even though the parts I sourced myself is original from Fox they won't use it, that's silly!

Anyway the instructions on the Fox website:
2016-2017 Factory and Performance Elite Series FIT4 Remote Conversion | Bike Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)
mentioned to remove a clip holding a plate, the plate itself and a small spring & a tiny ball underneath the plate after removing the manual lever top cap and replace them with the black remote housing. Now I think the function of the circlip, plate, spring and tiny ball are to provide the step and click on the lever when you move from open to medium to lock, right? I was wondering could I not remove those small parts and just replace the old lever with the remote assembly unit on top of them? Will it provide the clicks and steps when I actuate the damper with the remote? It should in theory shouldn't it or is that just wishful thinking from my part?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Asked Fox yesterday about swapping a 2018 remote top cap by a three position top cap. They told me oil needs to be replaced as well and it's not an easy diy job. They suggested to send it to the service department and have it done.

Too bad the 2018 Fox Step Cast 32 29 100mm, 51mm offset Boost is only available with a remote top cap. The fork builder (Explore 32 Bike Forks | FOX) has no option for a 3-position lever when selection Boost spacing.
Not true. I have a 2018 Fox 32 SC with no remote. It has boost and a three position cap. Works well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a query related to this topic.

I just purchased a used but mint condition 2016-17 Fox Float 34 Factory Fork (150mm travel) which I'm planning to install on my 2016 Scott Genius. My current fork is a 2016 Fox Float 32 Performance Series with remote. Back in those days Scott would fit a 32 on a bike with 150mm of travel. A Fox 32 with a 150mm of travel for AM purpose is OK but less than ideal as one can feel the flex when riding technical terrains, hence the upgrade. I was looking for a 36 but saw a mint condition 34 and it goes with the era of my bike

As you know Scott bikes have this Twinloc remote and all of their forks are fitted with the remote top cap unit (820-05-332-KIT or 820-05-333-KIT). Using the Twinloc remote one can go from Open to Medium to Fully Lock (though I cannot feel any difference in the Medium setting on my current fork. Fully Lock, yes) using the remote lever which can be pushed twice from fully open

I just ordered the remote top cap kit for my newly acquired 34 and it should arrive in a couple of weeks. I've also checked on the Fox website on how to install it. The local Fox service centre here in Malaysia will not install it for me unless I pay them the full price for parts and service. They won't accept the parts I've sourced on my own and just charge for the service. Something to do with keeping their parts original from Fox. Even though the parts I sourced myself is original from Fox they won't use it, that's silly!

Anyway the instructions on the Fox website:
2016-2017 Factory and Performance Elite Series FIT4 Remote Conversion | Bike Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)
mentioned to remove a clip holding a plate, the plate itself and a small spring & a tiny ball underneath the plate after removing the manual lever top cap and replace them with the black remote housing. Now I think the function of the circlip, plate, spring and tiny ball are to provide the step and click on the lever when you move from open to medium to lock, right? I was wondering could I not remove those small parts and just replace the old lever with the remote assembly unit on top of them? Will it provide the clicks and steps when I actuate the damper with the remote? It should in theory shouldn't it or is that just wishful thinking from my part?
I would remove it, you don't need any detents with the remote. The ball on mine shot across my workshop when I was rebuilding it!
When I had my fit4 2016 34 converted to remote, fox said the damper needed to be revalved too. Something to consider. I ended up having them do the work.
Also, what topcap did you buy? 820-05-333-KIT Service Set: 2016 FIT4 TopCap Interface Parts P-S Remote is not really around anymore, the new one is 820-05-455-Kit and that requires a clocking tool. 2018 FIT4 Remote Topcap Interface Part Installation Set (PN: 803-01-209). I have the tool because fox clocked mine at the wrong direction.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts