Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Fox models use a 2 position remote. But forks and still described as “3 position”. Some even seem to mix – like https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=232684;menu=1000,2,121;mid[242]=1;pgc[18880][18886]=1 describes 3 modes and a 2 position remote.

So my question is – is the forks and shocks still 3 position internally? And if you use another remote, will it be a able to use all 3 positions?

I know on previous models (like Top Fuel with 2 position remote) people have been able to do that using a Scott Twinlock remote.

Regards,
Kaj

·
Registered
108 Posts
by converting to remote, you eliminate the 3 detents at the knob and rely on whatever positions your remote has. Keep in mind, some 2018 offerings are "push-to-unlock" which is backwards from previous versions and require further modification if you're pairing with a shock/ fork that's "push-to-lock"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by converting to remote, you eliminate the 3 detents at the knob and rely on whatever positions your remote has. Keep in mind, some 2018 offerings are "push-to-unlock" which is backwards from previous versions and require further modification if you're pairing with a shock/ fork that's "push-to-lock"
So a 3 position remote will be able to have 3 positions (if the cable pull is correct)? But the open-medium-firm might be reversed?

Regards,
Kaj

·
Registered
108 Posts
So a 3 position remote will be able to have 3 positions (if the cable pull is correct)? But the open-medium-firm might be reversed?

Regards,
Kaj
The 2018 remote forks work with the new 2 position lever only. The cable pull is different than the previous 3 position lever. You can get it push-to-lock or push-to-unlock. If you want to convert a 2018 fork to remote and want to retain the 3 positions, you can, but it's more involved than just swapping the topcap parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why did Fox change the remote system to push-to-unlock? Is it better in any way? Will the new 2018 SC forks be delivered in this way, push-to-unlock?

I have a 2018 Top Fuel with Re-Aktiv shock in config push-to-unlock. Since I'm currently using a RS fork with push-to-lock I would like to convert the Re-Aktiv shock to the same system.

Is this difficult and expensive?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fox claims that it puts less stress on the lever and has a more responsive return. Is it better? It feels better than previous Fox remotes, but I was never really keen on their remote setups anyway. To my knowledge, all the '18 SC forks are delivered push-to-unlock but can be changed.

To change the rear shock you would need to change out the whole upper eyelet assembly which requires full disassembly and Nitrogen recharge. Usually I recommend holding out until your shock needs service to do this to save on cost. It's kind of a kick in the gut to have to pay for a full rebuild on a brand new shock just to change the lockout config.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many thanks Black Dog Suspension for your reply! Nice info there.

Can I ditch the remote lockout and replace it with a manual lever without disassemble the whole upper part of the shock?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Black Dog how about removing the remote lockout assembly from an '18 32 SC and going back to a regular top cap? Difficult? I assume since it is setup as push-to-unlock something will have to be reversed so it doesn't default to locked when you remove the tension.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black Dog how about removing the remote lockout assembly from an '18 32 SC and going back to a regular top cap? Difficult? I assume since it is setup as push-to-unlock something will have to be reversed so it doesn't default to locked when you remove the tension.
In theory this one shouldn't be too difficult. For 2018, the difference between P-L & P-UL is in the spring inside the topcap parts. The compression adjuster still rotates clockwise to lock. What I'm not sure about is whether the compression adjuster will accept the detent ball & spring to get back the 3 positions.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Asked Fox yesterday about swapping a 2018 remote top cap by a three position top cap. They told me oil needs to be replaced as well and it's not an easy diy job. They suggested to send it to the service department and have it done.

Too bad the 2018 Fox Step Cast 32 29 100mm, 51mm offset Boost is only available with a remote top cap. The fork builder (Explore 32 Bike Forks | FOX) has no option for a 3-position lever when selection Boost spacing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Too bad the 2018 Fox Step Cast 32 29 100mm, 51mm offset Boost is only available with a remote top cap. The fork builder (Explore 32 Bike Forks | FOX) has no option for a 3-position lever when selection Boost spacing.
They do offer that option in Factory Series as well as Performance. Although inventory may be spotty this time of year as '19 product will be announced soon

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have the 18' SC and 18'DPS converted to lock out. The remote feels nice but I find in the colder weather the return looses some "snap" when going back to lock(releasing tension), although I only have the fork connected right now. I had to send my shock back to have the cable stop replaced for a down position. Sadly both fox and the Canadian service center said it needs a nitro recharge to swap the cable stop plate. I think they are full of it. There is no seal under the cable stop and it is a 3 min parts swap.

Fox USA would not sell me the part and Canadian service said they only stock the full upper eyelet assembly. Pretty bad experience for my first time using Fox suspension.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 2018 32 SC 110 boost 3 position manual in black Factory was backordered but shipped a bunch on April 4th. They are still available.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have the 18' SC and 18'DPS converted to lock out. The remote feels nice but I find in the colder weather the return looses some "snap" when going back to lock(releasing tension), although I only have the fork connected right now. I had to send my shock back to have the cable stop replaced for a down position. Sadly both fox and the Canadian service center said it needs a nitro recharge to swap the cable stop plate. I think they are full of it. There is no seal under the cable stop and it is a 3 min parts swap.

Fox USA would not sell me the part and Canadian service said they only stock the full upper eyelet assembly. Pretty bad experience for my first time using Fox suspension.
I have this problem as well. Been waiting 2 weeks for my dealer to try to get hold of this part. It looks like with previous models you could just rotate the cable stop to point the other way. I agree there are no seals involved; it's a trivial swap (if you can get the dang part).

http://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page755-VYDW/808-17-315-KITa.pdf
#210-24-057. Although the exploded diagram still shows the "up" configuration. The rendered image shows what I need.

https://www.foxracingshox.de/4848/cable-hanger-2017-float-dps-lv-down

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have this problem as well. Been waiting 2 weeks for my dealer to try to get hold of this part. It looks like with previous models you could just rotate the cable stop to point the other way. I agree there are no seals involved; it's a trivial swap (if you can get the dang part).

http://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page755-VYDW/808-17-315-KITa.pdf
#210-24-057. Although the exploded diagram still shows the "up" configuration. The rendered image shows what I need.

https://www.foxracingshox.de/4848/cable-hanger-2017-float-dps-lv-down

Pretty frustrating. I still haven't got mine back. I will update when it's returned.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I ended up sending mine in anyway. There was something else wrong, it wouldn't compress whether the lockout was on or not. Did you send yours to OGC?

Also, I've decided push-to-unlock is stupid. If anything goes wrong with the cable or remote, you'll likely be stuck with your suspension locked out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts