Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still triin gto decide on a fork.the manitou black coil (120mm) is leaking on the bottom but still performing excellent.i have no complaints about this fork at all.very plush,but on the heavy side,supposed to be 4.4 lbs.

i listed my three choices above.my only two concerns is it has to be as plush as my last fork BUT i would like the lose weight also.

are the floats very plush?when i press on them on the showroom floor they seem terribly stiff and sticky.is there a break in period?

does the float really weigh 3.6 lbs?this seems very light.

anybody have a good awnser?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
ROG30Y said:
still triin gto decide on a fork.the manitou black coil (120mm) is leaking on the bottom but still performing excellent.i have no complaints about this fork at all.very plush,but on the heavy side,supposed to be 4.4 lbs.

i listed my three choices above.my only two concerns is it has to be as plush as my last fork BUT i would like the lose weight also.

are the floats very plush?when i press on them on the showroom floor they seem terribly stiff and sticky.is there a break in period?

does the float really weigh 3.6 lbs?this seems very light.

anybody have a good awnser?
ee...

Yeah they realy weight 3.6lbs... They are not sticky they are realy plush, but vanilla is the plushiest fork i ever tried !

Chek if the rebound knob is not set to the maximum setting !
:p Appened to me at my local bike shop !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vanilla is supposed to weigh just under 4 lbs.IF that is right and IF my manitou reaaly weighs 4.4 that would be a pretty good weight saving for me.

still would like to try a well set up float though.

i really am scared about dishing out good money on a fork if it doesnt perform as well as mine does....
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
I have both the Van 130 RLC and a Float RLC 100. Now, I understand that you are looking only at the 130 Float but here is what I have found with my 4" Float. It rides very well and is a little more adjustable that the Van. The Van is more plush than the float but as I said you can fiddle with the pressure in the Float to get a similar ride. If I were you, I would go for the Van for a couple of reasons. 1. it is cheaper than the Float. 2. ride it for a year until the warranty is up and then have it Pushed if you still need some adjustment. 3. Or buy a new one from Push and still end up better off in the long run. Now this all depends on your riding style etc. but the vanilla would be my suggestion.
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
ROG30Y said:
still triin gto decide on a fork.the manitou black coil (120mm) is leaking on the bottom but still performing excellent.i have no complaints about this fork at all.very plush,but on the heavy side,supposed to be 4.4 lbs.
For a few bucks, you could try a new rubber seal on the bottom of your Black (if it is 04+) and keep the fork you like and $$$. A guess as to why it is leaking.

If your Black has TPC damping, it is probably more plush than the Fox for smaller bumps and trail chatter as it has no low speed damping to deal with. Dunno which is more plush in larger bumps.

Fox's advantage over a TPC Black is in the low speed damping for more stable braking, turns etc. which can be a huge benefit.

Buying a Fox so you can have it Pushed is a $700+ proposition after both costs, in that price range, there seem to be better solutions to start with.

You should state your intended usage (XC, AM?), and more on your leak (maybe easy fix).

Mr. P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for advice so far.most of my riding consists of long trail rides,mostly rooty type trails with some drop offs but usually nothing over a couple feet.will probable race more this year(although bike is kinda haeavy at 30lbs for a xc race bike)

like i was saying earlier the for i have works very good but just recently started loosing alot of oil out the bottom of the righ leg.it is a 2005 model.

also what is the diffrence between the R and RLC on the fox forks?
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Mr.P said:
For a few bucks, you could try a new rubber seal on the bottom of your Black (if it is 04+) and keep the fork you like and $$$. A guess as to why it is leaking.

If your Black has TPC damping, it is probably more plush than the Fox for smaller bumps and trail chatter as it has no low speed damping to deal with. Dunno which is more plush in larger bumps.

Fox's advantage over a TPC Black is in the low speed damping for more stable braking, turns etc. which can be a huge benefit.

Buying a Fox so you can have it Pushed is a $700+ proposition after both costs, in that price range, there seem to be better solutions to start with.

You should state your intended usage (XC, AM?), and more on your leak (maybe easy fix).

Mr. P

I am not saying that someone should just buy a shock to have it Pushed. All I said is that that is a posibility and even went as far as to say give it a year to see if you like the way a stock Van rides. It is a wonderful fork right out of the box!!! Waiting a year will also allow you to hold on to the original warranty in the event that there is something wrong. The Push service is $165 for a fork that you send in and a NEW Van RLC Pushed (with a 1 yr. warranty from Push) is $589.

http://www.pushindustries.com/


Just adding my $.02 worth. Although, Mr. P has a point. If you can, you might want to have your existing fork fixed and save the cash for something else. But, from what I gather you are in the market for a new front end.

The R is for Rebound, L is for Lockout, and the C is for Compression.
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
be350ka said:
The Push service is $165 for a fork that you send in and a NEW Van RLC Pushed (with a 1 yr. warranty from Push) is $589.
Sorry, I thought the PUSH treatment tailored to your riding cost more.

be350ka said:
The R is for Rebound, L is for Lockout, and the C is for Compression.
To add to that; R means external rebound adjustment, RLC means external rebound, lock and compression adustments. I believe the RLC has more adjustments as well, like lockout threshold, and low speed compression damping adjustments.

Mr. P
 

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
Joined
·
912 Posts
If I'm not mistaken your fork should be close to 3.8 -3.9 pounds. I have a coil version and is 4.1. Turn the fork upside down and loosen the lower bolt, check/replace the o-ring. The oil is the semibath, not damping, check the service manual for proper oil grade and fill to specs. If you suspect anything else is wrong, send an e-mail or call Manitou, they'll take care of you, they are the best in CS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
I'd recommend Fox anyway

Fox has much better customer service (they actually help you), internals are far more durable and servicable, and Vanilla is, as others say, a wonderful fork out of the box if you are trail riding. Surely Fox costs more, but you are truly getting what you pay for.

I have had 2 Mani forks. The last one (Black Elite 100mm~120mm travel adjust - can't remember exactly what it was) costed me almost 400 bucks. It rode ok, never gave me a confidence in the rocky section. Never felt plush. Almost rigid when it was down at 100mm. Couldn't figure out why in the world they made threaded internal/external parts with plastic (you heard it right, a plastic!!). They may weigh less than metal, but makes it a PITA (aka "junk") when you ride a lot, or live in the area you need to service your folks multiple times a year. I broke one of those plastic parts, and the Answer customer service insisted that I go through LBS. LBS, of course, refused to get parts from Answer or charge like double of the wholesale price.

Just my 2 cents.
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Thanks Mr.P

Mr.P said:
Sorry, I thought the PUSH treatment tailored to your riding cost more.



To add to that; R means external rebound adjustment, RLC means external rebound, lock and compression adustments. I believe the RLC has more adjustments as well, like lockout threshold, and low speed compression damping adjustments.

Mr. P

All is true. Thanks for the addition!!

Dont you love when someone wants a little help with something and they get about 1001 pages of info only to confuse them even more. HAHAHA. Gotta love this site!! :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top