Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
bikerpilot
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started racing in the last few months, catching the last four rounds of the Arkansas MTB Championship Series. It's a great series, with lots of good competition, and good promotion. The first three races I did, I raced beginner. I got second the first race because of a stupid rookie mistake: I led the whole race and let a guy pass me 50 yards from the finish because I thought he was a Sport rider. Second again at the second race: got up at 3am to drive up while my brother slept in the truck, he won with me 20 yards back, nearest guy was about 5 minutes behind, so I almost called that a win. Third race, took my first win: battled with my brother back and forth, he fell, I hammered down and pulled away, won by 15 seconds. So this weekend was the last race of the season, I decided to race sport. I was planning on racing it next year anyway, so I figured I might as well see where I stand now. Course was 9.1 miles long, with a LOT of climbing for this Louisiana boy, Sports do two laps. I'm only used to riding 10 miles at a time, since that's what most beginner races are, and that's about all I ever have time to ride in training. So I figured I'd just pace myself and do what I could. Lined up with 15 guys, and off we went. Hit the single track in 7th without too much effort, so I'm feeling okay. First lap, I feel really strong, I'm really riding good, up the climbs with no problems, fast on the downhills. For a while I rode around by myself, so it was a mental battle to keep the pace up where I thought it should be, I finish the lap in fourth. Second lap, still feeling strong, feeling real good. Halfway through the second lap I get passed once, back to fifth, that's okay. Then, three miles left, still feeling good, I decide to take a gel to finish out strong. Wash it down with water, and hammer on. Now my race goes downhill. Just a few minutes after the gel, I find myself on the side of the trail puking my guts out. This lasts 4 or 5 minutes, I lose one position. I finally finish and get back on the bike, now I feel a lot better. Hammer on, I'm fast through the next section. Now that I've lost everything in my stomach, my body has nothing to go on, and I hit the wall. No energy at all. It's all I can do to push my middle chainring/big cog through the flats. But I soldier on to the finish without walking. I get passed twice in this condition, so I finish eighth. So for my first sport race, 8th out of fifteen. I felt pretty happy with my efffort, I paced myself good, and had a great race going until I took that gel. Gel has never done that to me before, but I guess I've never taken one with my body in that condition. I learned a lot about myself in those last few miles. I've never pushed my body to that point before, either physically or mentally. It's a place I dreaded being in, but I long to go back to.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody, have a great off-season!!

This is about a 1/2 mile before the finish, just after a fast downhill(strangely, I could still go down real fast, but I couldn't pedal for nothing). I just let this guy by me, I had no chance tyring to stay ahead(I'm on the yellow bike.)

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
Congrats man on a good season. I plan on my first season of racing next year and hope to have as good of results. Although the only stipulation is that Sport in the series in wisconsin has 300 racers and beginner has over 100 i think, could be a rough one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
natural racer!

good way to start off your race schedule. You must have a good breakfast before your next race, with the extra lap you need way more energy. Try having an energy bar 1/2 hour before race begins, also some kind of sports drink is nice to have along with water. Some say 50% coke 50% water is a good way to settle your stomach during a race. I had the same thing happen to me where I just "died" on the last 4-6 miles of the race, it was horrible. Your legs just refuse to pedal fast. Have a good next year,

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
"a place I dreaded being in, but I long to go back to"
classic.

or

a place I long to be in, but dread going back to

·
bikerpilot
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks guys. I've really enjoyed getting back into racing. (Used to race MX) I really missed the comradarie and competition. Now I've just gotta find time to put in a good base period this winter somewhere between my senior year as an engineering major and working two jobs to support me and the wife. I'll probably have to resort to spending time on the bike machines at the school fitness center with an open book in front of me... Sigh.... I long for the road......

·
Registered
467 Posts
You make me sick, you natural...

I bust my hump just trying to finish top-ten and you puke your guts out and still finish 8th :D I'm glad to see someone like yourself making the jump to Sport. A lot of guys down here would have stayed in Beginner and tried to dominate the series. A lot of lifetime beginners in our (now defunct) series. I took the year off from racing last season, but posts like this get me fired up to race again this year. I'm an old MX'er myself and there's nothing like race day! Good luck in Sport next year!

·
bikerpilot
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ehhhh(<bugs bunny style), thanks doc....

You're right, nothing like race day! Man in the beginner races, I was pretty calm on the line, I knew where I stood, and I was confident. But on that Sport line waiting for the gun, I was thinking, "Oh God, what have I done, why am I here?" Definitely took me back to waiting for the gate to drop, with my heart about to pound out of my chest! And of course, I peed right before I went to the line, but I had to pee again just before the gun sounded. Is it just me, or does that happen to everybody? But then somehow you forget about until the race is over. Weird..... I guess I haven't thought of myself as a natural, but whatever y'all say. I still don't see myself as being in that good shape, I guess I just ride fast. But most importantly, I have a ton of fun!!

·
bikerpilot
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leonard!!!!

Sup man? Thanks a bunch. Glad you and Brady have been there to help kinda show me the ropes for my first season. How's your dad? Hope everything is okay. You ready for the Ouachita Challenge?!? SHHHUUUUUTTT!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.