Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still drinking the cool aid- I have my 429 pretty close to dialed in and it is a blast to ride- I continue to stand up on climbs and try to mash just to push the rear end to do it's thing... it always seems to deliver, velcro traction and no heinous bobbing forcing you to sit on your @ss in granny and spin up every climb- I can hop right off of my rigid SS and not be forced into sit and spin submission, or do a jonny on the spot hover... to keep the rear end from bobbing. It just works, no marketing bs needed... it delivers just what I wanted, the ability to ride a and get all the benefits of suspension with a hardtail like pedal feeling...

I just added some I9's with Flows and this combined with the 15mm T/A up front and the stout rear end of the 429 offers one responsive bike- one of those things you can't appreciate until you actual feel it- I never thought there was a "problem" on my other full squish bikes but now I can appreciate the difference- Did I mention the cool aid is tasty? I hope the honeymoon continues...

Attachments

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flyer said:
Very nice- glad you're enjoying it. I think that is a medium frame, right? How tall are you?
Thanks- it is a good match for my trails- It is a medium and I am just over 5' 9"- I am between a small and Medium on paper but with a fairly long torso/arms I like the 24" top tube on the Medium with my preferred bar/stem set up-

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
This is on my short list of FS 9ers. I'm looking forward to some test "ride-offs" between the 3 finalists (Epic 29er, SJ FSR 29er and 429). If I wind up with the 429, it'll be the blue and white one and I intend on putting a Lefty on the front.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Regular Lefty or Fox Lefty? The Fox Lefty looks intriguing, though I bet it is a lb or so heavier than the regular. Still, Fox internals will be more reliable and plush, IMO.

I really like the blue-white but Ano is my choice in this case for ease of cleaning, I have always like black ano bikes.

·
slow uphill
570 Posts
Flyer said:
Regular Lefty or Fox Lefty? The Fox Lefty looks intriguing, though I bet it is a lb or so heavier than the regular. Still, Fox internals will be more reliable and plush, IMO.

I really like the blue-white but Ano is my choice in this case for ease of cleaning, I have always like black ano bikes.
really wish the black ano was out when I bought mine, but I like the silver that I have.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying yours as much as I am. I ride a rigid SS as well and couldn't agree with you more over the stiff rear end. I have ridden many 26" FS bikes and have never been as happy as I am with the Pivot.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Flyer said:

Uhhh.... FOX Lefty? Linky, please?

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
Flyer said:
What are the weights of the 429s you guys are riding? I'd like to see 28 lbs but I think 30 is going to be as good as it gets unless I throw a XX groupset at it.
My large 429 was just under 30 pounds when I measured it last month after I upgraded the fork to a Fox 120mm. Keep in mind that I'm running no stupid light parts (I9 wheelset might be the exception) and running a KS i950 dropper post. Before I added the i950, I was close to 28 pounds I think.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sparkie said:
Glad to hear you're enjoying yours as much as I am. I ride a rigid SS as well and couldn't agree with you more over the stiff rear end. I have ridden many 26" FS bikes and have never been as happy as I am with the Pivot.
I can't say it is the right bike for everyone but to be able to just ride it and not flick levers or gear down into granny because I am worried about standing up and hammering up a climb... it just works for me- I had a few 26 F/S (VPP's single pivots etc...) and I agree with you it is almost too good to be true and I have a stock shock on it... I am thinking of getting it pushed but not sure if it will be worth it at this point-

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flyer said:
What are the weights of the 429s you guys are riding? I'd like to see 28 lbs but I think 30 is going to be as good as it gets unless I throw a XX groupset at it.
My 429 comes in at 28 lbs 5 oz's pretty much as it is in the pics above- Flows, 120mm fork... and real world stuff- polar computer, cheap bottle cage, bell, lock on grips etc... Granted it is a medium so I have a bit of an edge but If I pillaged a few lighter parts (silly little grams here and there...) from my SS and removed a few of the less than necessary items I mentioned above I could easily be below 28 pounds with a trail ready bike. Funny thing with this bike is the suspension works so well and smooth that I could care less if it was a pound or so lighter- especially if it reduces the ride quality-

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
Flyer said:
IIRC, mine's down to about 27 lbs. with a light trail/XC build. But to do that, prepare to spend some dough. I have some new wheels that I need to put on the 429 that will drop the weight further and be even stiffer than the I9/Arch wheels I have on there now (bonus points to whoever can figure out what wheels those could be). The problem is that I'm having way too much fun with them on the Sultan right now.

I agree that the bike pedals so well that the extra mass in the frame is not slowing me down. With the right wheel/tire combo the bike is a rocket, or a tank (in a good way). Take your pick.

Your bike looks good, knottshore. Glad to see you're enjoying it. I pretty much have mine spec'ed exactly the way I want, and it's great.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
Flyer said:
2Turners, you have DT240s and Edge rims. CKs are my backup guess.

What size seatpost? A Thompson Elite 30.9 seemed loose in the seattube...really odd. It fits fine on the Sultan and RX 29er.
Yeah, you nailed it. Those wheels are yet another expensive crutch to help me try to go faster. The combination of really light wheels that are nice and stiff affects more than just how well the bike accelerates and plows downhill. It's totally changed the ride on the Sultan. But that's a post for another forum, though.

As far as posts go, I'm running a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece and there's no slippage.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Interesting info on the new wheels...essentially the rims changing the ride. Do elaborate- I'd like to know how it would upgrade the different aspects...over a CK-Arch set.

Re: the seatpost, does your seatpost fit somewhat snugly snug even with the seatpost clamp completely loose?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
Flyer said:
Interesting info on the new wheels...essentially the rims changing the ride. Do elaborate- I'd like to know how it would upgrade the different aspects...over a CK-Arch set.

Re: the seatpost, does your seatpost fit somewhat snugly snug even with the seatpost clamp completely loose?
In an effort to not derail this fine thread any further, I'll post up a PRO REVIEW on the Turner forum, since I've only been running them on my Sultan so far.

My Masterpiece post slides into the seat tube smoothly, not snug at all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.