Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its a early 90's era Trek, [does that make it bonded alluminum, I forgot to look before I threw it in the basement] Its got LX running gear and dx push push rapidfire and levers and a manitou fork with what looks like an inch and a half travel. I think its a pretty awesome bike in decent shape if I clean it up and its so ugly its cool. Any ideas what I should do with it? 1x1 or restore?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,749 Posts
Nice Find For For The Trash Pile

But beware, I wouldn't do much more than commuting on that frame. The bonded Al frames had a tendancy to become unbonded. Their bonded Al and carbon frames (road and mtb) had a very bad reputation back in the motherland of WI.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
machinehead131 said:
i would just use it to ride to wherever and leave it unlocked..basically a decent trash bike just relube and rebuild.
I don't know why people would trash that bike. It's basically pretty nice. And the aluminum - bonded - to - aluminum frames didn't come unbonded too often. The problem is common when bonding dissimilar materials.

They were pretty common, so its not worth much. If you've got the time and don't own a singlespeed and the frame fits then go for it. Otherwise keep it as-is for a beater or sell it for $100.

Maybe the forks are worth something. I don't really know.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Spring is prime vintage bike finding season!

People are cleaning out basements, houses and garages and tossing bikes and selling bikes in garage sales. I know a guy that bought a perfect, like new condition early nineties Sling Shot for $100 a few years ago at a garage sale. Keep an eye open while driving and riding around. Good find!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i wouldn't be surprised if that bike was put in the trash by whoever (or whomever, i can never remember) stole it.

it's hard to figure that somone had no choice but to throw away a bike like that.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I found a Trek in the trash too

Adrian said:
i wouldn't be surprised if that bike was put in the trash by whoever (or whomever, i can never remember) stole it.

it's hard to figure that somone had no choice but to throw away a bike like that.
The maintanance guy at our townhome finds bikes all the time near the bin or left in the empty garage or apartment because people moving out don't want to take the bikes with them. Not all bikes are as nice as this one but I picked up a couple,including a nice Trek with LX components and nice rims.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
b1kerjake said:
I think its a early 90's era Trek, [does that make it bonded alluminum, I forgot to look before I threw it in the basement] Its got LX running gear and dx push push rapidfire and levers and a manitou fork with what looks like an inch and a half travel. I think its a pretty awesome bike in decent shape if I clean it up and its so ugly its cool. Any ideas what I should do with it? 1x1 or restore?
I'd make it into a 1x1.

I bought this off my uncle. Not as good a deal as your freebie. But it's in better shape. I've torn it down and I'm rebuilding it for my son.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Maybe stolen, maybe not

Adrian said:

Maybe the owner read the article on dubya's ipod and has very strong political convictions :D

I was given a Rocky Mountain Fusion in almost perfect condition a few months ago. The owner (someone I did not even know) was moving and had no room to take it and no time to sell it. People give stuff away all the time. If they didn't have the motivation to try and find a new owner for it they may just throw it away.

But yeah, it might be stolen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
dont listen to the naysayers , these bikes are bombproof and will be the only thing other than cockroaches to survive WW3

check the frame for any bad dents or cracks and if all is well replace any worn components then take it out and ride the snot out of it
heres mine

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Listen to this naysayer !

Dude I had one of those briefly, the whole bottom bracket lug tore out of the bottom of the seat tube, faulty bonding. Should have been welded.

There seems to be some misconception that treks were decent. If you like cheap mass produced poorly engineered frames one notch above a Wal Mart special, then Trek is for you !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.