Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is making this "tick, tick" on every pedal stroke, I lubed the crank arms, fitted new outboard bearings and new crankbolts. The "tick, tick" sound still remained, then I removed one of the waterbottle nuts and poured lube down the hole. The "tick, tick" was gone only to reappear after about 10 hours of cycling. What can be the reason for this annoying sound and how do I get rid of it permanently? Any ideas?:madman:

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it ticks when you stand and pedal you can rule out the seat post, but it doesn't hurt to lube it though. Every time I get that ticking noise on the pedal stroke, it's always my pedals. It is intermittent when I just pedal, but constant when I crank hard. I tighten the sh#t out of them and it's gone.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I had this problem last spring and it drove me nuts. I finally discovered it was one of the water bottle bolts rubbing its head against the frame. I removed it (since I don't use them anyway) and the problem never came back. For weeks I thought I had BB problems, loose crank bolts, a loose pedal, or all sorts of horrible things. I was relieved when it was something so simple as a dumb bolt.

The "tick, tick" sound still remained, then I removed one of the waterbottle nuts and poured lube down the hole.
It's probably the head, not the threads.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Cracked frame junction?
Good possibility. We've seen this at our shop a few times. Aluminum or carbon frames can get this funky deal where two tubes meet and a small separation between the two tubes occurs inside the frame. Introducing a lube or other liquid into this separation can stop the noise for a short or extended period depending on conditions...creates a damping medium to the spot making the clicking. It's one of the toughest problems to diagnose.
Granted...it's not the most common problem of clicking noises, but the mention of how lube in that bolt hole quietened it temporarily made me think of this. Of course, that lube could have migrated down to a BB cup or such to do the same thing.

One thing I would always recommend for threaded interfaces like BB cups, pedal spindles, and other noise making components...use antiseize instead of grease. It's more durable, stays in place longer, and resists water better. Use grease for bearings and such, but apply anitseize to many critical threaded and metal-to-metal applications.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
TRY DIFFERENT SHOES...
I had the most annoying "click" with each pedal stroke, usually at the same spot in the stroke. It turned out to be the bars on my old Time Atac's rubbing the bottom of my shoes. Seriously look at that, simple DUH kind of fix.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
Loose BB? Try teflon taping it too, a common fix, particularly for aluminum frames. Also, you mention outboard bearings. It's very common to get clicking and creaking with these BB's, as many frames aren't properly, and fully prepped. Get your BB shell faced, that's fixed more clicks than I care to count in my shop. The other suggestions here are all good too, so get to work, but do one at a time, that way you'll know what it was! ;) :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.