Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and it's very steep ;)

In the light of recent DH pictures, here are few shots from Mammoth. Sorry to dissapoint Marco on the driving shortcut, this one saving good few seconds on the top of Flow run. First time concured it. I guess big bike helps :thumbsup: (Check fork compression on the second picture)

Tire Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Mountain biking Bicycle tire

Bicycle wheel Mountain biking Bicycle clothing Soil Bicycle helmet

For rockgarden on the Bullit I will get back on Labor Day, this time we only seasoned lower section of it.
Same day earlier we had a fun at the Lower Rock Creek trail. Full DH gear is quite a drag here, but what the heck :D

Outdoor recreation Adventure Bag Wilderness Luggage and bags

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Stalk said:
... and it's very steep ;)

In the light of recent DH pictures, here are few shots from Mammoth. Sorry to dissapoint Marco on the driving shortcut, this one saving good few seconds on the top of Flow run. First time concured it. I guess big bike helps :thumbsup: (Check fork compression on the second picture)

View attachment 375153

View attachment 375154

For rockgarden on the Bullit I will get back on Labor Day, this time we only seasoned lower section of it.
Same day earlier we had a fun at the Lower Rock Creek trail. Full DH gear is quite a drag here, but what the heck :D

View attachment 375155
That looks steeper than it looks. Good work storm trooper.

fc

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
francois said:
That looks steeper than it looks. ...
fc
It is surly is. There is also some crazy line to the right of the picture (riders left) but I saved it to the next time.

Overall conditions were 50/50. Most of the fun trails are too sandy since they seen very little traffic. Follow Me is plow-fest and would better suitable for paddle or rudder steering rather than biking. Velocity was all sand traps at the bottom section, which makes final jump sketchy at least.
Those who enjoyed Downtown be prepared for surprise. They swapped Downtown/Uptown top sections. So now instead of gradual climb on Downtown (which wasn't bad at all) trail changes grade few times with some steep short and sandy climbs, which was quite painful for the kids.
I going back for Labor Day and hope trail crew will get mountain in shape by then.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Follow Me is plow-fest and would better suitable for paddle or rudder steering rather than biking
hahah, your cracking me up.

nice pics.

I have always enjoyed riding at mammoth. 200% Not as fun when conditions are not optimal.

Mammoth seems to suck the moisture out of everything.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin G said:
Stalk> What trails do you recommend; heading there this weekend... thanks!
Depend what you looking for.

For fast DH run - Velocity hard to beat. I hope they clear up sand at the bottom a bit, with more ppls riding it should get in shape fairly quick.

Otherwise we were doing BreakThrough -> Flow -> then either ShortGun or Paperoute -> lower Bullit

I didn't hit upper Bullit with excuse of following progression and lack of time ;) but lower section is best trail IMHO with a little of everything.

Even tho SkidMarks were closed, some folks rode it and reported few patches of snow and lot of mud.

If you like piece of dirt jumping Pipeline is still there.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks, Stalk.

Looking for fast and flowy. Not insane rock gardens, but drops/tables/kickers/berms would be coool. Am not expert level (so Bullet may be a bit much), but at Northstar for instance I hit the single blacks and some double blacks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm at the same level I guess then, since Upper Bullit is just bit too much for me as well :)

BreakThrough is quite fast and flowy after initial climbing section, but you'll have to pedal here and there to keep good speed. Even Off the Top could be fast with hard pedaling and it's good warm up.

Lower Bullit doesn't require expert level and it's a blast. Only watch for rockgarden at the very bottom, but even that not too hard.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We stayed away from Kamikadze run, hence no Richter. From last year I recall few small doubles followed by little step-up and steep run down to the gandola, while fun I'm not big fun of Kamikadze or Shock Treatment to get there.

Didn't went for Bearing Straits. Seven Bridges IMHO is not that good, need to pedal hard to keep good momentum, so would rather to jump on Ricochet. However on July 4th it was all messed up and big tree was blocking trail in the middle. Otherwise it fun little trail with few wooden berms and 2ft wooden ramp at the end.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Stalk said:
It is surly is. There is also some crazy line to the right of the picture (riders left) but I saved it to the next time.

Overall conditions were 50/50. Most of the fun trails are too sandy since they seen very little traffic. Follow Me is plow-fest and would better suitable for paddle or rudder steering rather than biking. Velocity was all sand traps at the bottom section, which makes final jump sketchy at least.
Those who enjoyed Downtown be prepared for surprise. They swapped Downtown/Uptown top sections. So now instead of gradual climb on Downtown (which wasn't bad at all) trail changes grade few times with some steep short and sandy climbs, which was quite painful for the kids.
I going back for Labor Day and hope trail crew will get mountain in shape by then.
Let the BoneHead that changed Uptown for Downtown how unhappy you and your kids were after paying for lift tickets to provide gravity assisted trails.

I find the change totally acceptable, they've completely ruined the flow on the top third section with that change up, plus there's dead flatlander people gasping and winded all over the trail from the climbs, without enough energy to pull off to the side of the trail to let those that can pedal up the hills through.

Mammoth AZZHat Dave, are you reading this?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Thanks for the post

I'm going up in a couple weeks. How were the crowds? I'll be riding on a Monday and Tuesday and then head up to N* for riding on Thurs/Fri.

From the reviews of the trails you rode, you sound like a similar styled rider as myself. You stated Skid Marks was closed. Is that because of lingering snow and if so, did they say when it would be opened? I checked the web site and it doesn't list Skid Marks at all. I broke a rib on Skid Marks last year when my front tire dug into some sand and I went OTB into a rock. Furthermore, I had to ride down the mountain with no rear brake and gasping each time I took a breath. I need to come back and defeat that b*tch!

Overall, it sounds like most trails are sand traps?

What's up w/ uptown/downtown switcharoo? That was the first singletrack my daughter shredded and she's been talking my ear off about doing it again when we're there (she's 8). Any advice?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Not sure why Skid Marks is closed; didn't notice snow on it from the gondola view. Crowds - virtually none. Compared to Northstar, where I usually ride, the mountain seemed nearly empty - and this was on a Saturday. For an intermediate rider (like myself) I recommend:

- Kamikaze; if you've never done it - purely for the adrenaline rush and history.
- Richter; short but way fun. Small ladder bridges, jumps, drops, etc.
- Flow; nice trail with lots of small drops, big (infamous) jump [has a go around if you chicken out].
- Shotgun; good variety, nice berm, turns, drops, and a log ride [not too difficult].
- Off the Top; a nice warm up, not difficult at all, but great views and open singletrack to dial your suspension if necessary.
- Brake Through; how you get to the other side of the mountain until Skid Marks opens. Actually has some fun bits, but definitely some pedaling too.

Uptown/Downton seems like just a way to get back to the gondola or village; didn't ride it much since Shotgun is a great way to head back to the village.

The pumice wasn't too bad on the trails I mention above. Certainly requires some riding adjustment and getting used to. Contrary to Northstar, Mammoth uses a lot more ladders/bridges which helps avoid some of the washed out bits at times.

Have fun!

One gripe I have is how they load your bikes - kind of just plop it into the gondola with you. I prefer Northstar's bike racks and open air lifts.

P.S. Velocity looks like a super fun trail - need to hit that next time!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Downtown/Uptown switched on the upper section (roughly to the point where Paperroute forks from Downtown (now Uptown), so if you planning to go Paperroute you would need to get back a bit on Uptown once Ut and Dt connects. What is sux, is that now DT upper is not pleasant at all. The uphill sections are previously UT downhill sections so they are sandy and steep in places, so it substantially bigger effort for kids to go "down" the trail.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was looking at the web cam & looks like they got some rain from the t-storms.Heading up this thursday,riding friday through sunday.Did the mountain get alot of rain?Would love to ride in nice damp soil!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.