Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while loading my bike on the rack I found a bur or scrach on the upper tube. Not sure how this happend but will it cause any problems? If so what can I do to fix it? Thanks!
 

·
May contain nuts
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Upper tube???

mrrrg said:
Today while loading my bike on the rack I found a bur or scrach on the upper tube. Not sure how this happend but will it cause any problems? If so what can I do to fix it? Thanks!
Nothing bad will happen if you equalise the metaphysics by making an identical scratch on the lower tube. Do it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should have....

explained it better. When I say upper tube I'm refering to one of the two polished tubes that go into the crown of the fork. I should have been more clear. I'm just wondering if the scratch will cause the seals to leak.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Please check....

Your fork brand, model, year...

Is it a deep scratch??

If it is a Manitou Axel, SX, Six or with microlube ports it should not worry you like a lot. These forks have enclosed cartridges and their lowers do not hold any oil or air. So the biggest problem should be premature wear on the bushings.

For other forks this could be bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an 03 Fox Talis

Warp2003 said:
Your fork brand, model, year...

Is it a deep scratch??

If it is a Manitou Axel, SX, Six or with microlube ports it should not worry you like a lot. These forks have enclosed cartridges and their lowers do not hold any oil or air. So the biggest problem should be premature wear on the bushings.

For other forks this could be bad.
The scratch is deep enough to feal but looks like it can be polished or buffed out.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Oh boy....

Are you losing air pressure??

Eventually the scrath will play havoc for your seals/bushins and if it's deburred or polished it'll leave a zone where the seal/bushing will not contact the stanchion (correct name for the upper tube.

I might be wrong but now you posted the model of the fork someone else will tell for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not losing air...got a pic

Warp2003 said:
Are you losing air pressure??

Eventually the scrath will play havoc for your seals/bushins and if it's deburred or polished it'll leave a zone where the seal/bushing will not contact the stanchion (correct name for the upper tube.

I might be wrong but now you posted the model of the fork someone else will tell for sure.
This is a pic of it near my finger.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,329 Posts
mrrrg said:
This is a pic of it near my finger.

I have always taken a razor blade and run it accross the scratches in order to knock down the high spots/ burrs. Never had a problem. I think sanding hits more than the affected area.
 

·
Since Nineteen Forgotten
Joined
·
146 Posts
Looking at the picture, it's minor..

Had a friend scratched his Marzoochi Z1 stanchion, much deeper than yours and it couldn't hold air for an hour. He had to get rid of it. Your's can possibly be sanded (or use of a better word smoothed) with auto polish scratch remover which is also very fine grit to remove any burrs that could compromise the lower leg seals/bushings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

Went for a ride today and it seems to be working ok. I will try the razor blade trick. Talked to a guy on the trail and he said that it shoudnt be a problem as it is.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top