Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big move to B'more from Denver is now coming together as we finally found a house this week. It took a while but we got a place in Lutherville-Timonium, near Seminary and Dulaney Valley. Its a tough housing market.

Looks like Loch Raven will be the closest ride from home (really close). What is the story with the trails there? Whats open? Whats off limits? Is there a way to link the trails shown on the map at the trailhead into a loop around the lake? It seems like there could be a lot of ride options, at least for before/after-work rides. I haven't seen a complete map anywhere. I took a little walk out there yesterday- there were a lot of bikes. I guess thats a good sign. Does anyone do trail work there? Are there ever any races there?

Thanks again for the advice on housing areas as it helped a lot once we started the hunt.

Bruce

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
- What's open: Officiallly, only fireroads. Unofficially...
Nothing is signed (at least that I've ever seen).

- No maps that I'm aware of, it's a ride and learn type deal.

- Loop around the reservoir: again, no map, you just need to learn the trails. To do the complete reservoir is about 35 miles with two road connectors. It's both fun and tough.

- Great place to live near, most people would rate it the 2nd best Balto. trail system, behind Avalon/Patapsco. I'm sure some rate it #1 ;)

- Trail work: Trail work is handled by MAMBO, next work day is April 23. Support these guys, they are 100% responsible for Loch Raven being open to bikes. About a decade ago MTBers were on the verge of being kicked out of there, MAMBO was created and stopped that. Part of the agreement to keeping things open is the trail work they do.

- No races

- The riding is generally viewed as two areas: the Seminary area (a.k.a. the Lower loop) and the Merryman's area (a.k.a. the Upper loop). Seminary sees the most use by far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Enjoy B-more!

I used to live in Towson, worked in Timonium, it's definitely a great area. You might want to check out the Gunpowder Falls parks, there are a couple of different ones. One that I can think of is up near White Marsh. Not sure if you can mtn bike there, I went in my pre-mtn bike days and loved the hiking trails, but not sure whether bikers are allowed, same thing with Rocks State Park, pretty neat place.
There is definitely tons to do and find in the Loch Raven Reservior area, and like the other guy said, there are two different areas, one is much bigger than the other.
Enjoy the area, nice proximity to the city, without being in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.