Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found these hubs while browsing internet. Formula SL1240/DC170 Fat Bike 6-Bolt Disc Hub Set 135/170mm Black

appears to be salsa 3 170mm steel axle 2 bearing rear hub with a industrial finish. i dont know what front hub it is.

thought that i should share it here, maybe someone in the market for some hubs and could save some money compare to $115 for just the rear salsa mukluk 3 hub.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even if they both are made by same company, they look like different price range hubs.

if you ask me if fatback hubs worth that much money. i would say wait for a bit and see what the OEM manufacturers like formula and novatec is putting out at half of that price tag for the same quality premium hub

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went for it, thanks. I've already got some Robsson rims, so this is the only thing I need to get my fatty on the road. :)

I'm guessing the hub dimensions are the same as the Salsa? I may just wait for them to arrive anyway, as I don't want to get the wrong length spokes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm still waiting for them to come thru the post, it will be a few more days before they arrive in Europe.

Does anyone know the dimensions of these hubs for wheel building?

I've already got some rims and wanted to order some spokes also, that way I can start building up the wheel as soon as the hubs arrive.

I checked out the Formula hubs website and couldn't even find them listed.

Even if the dimensions aren't listed anywhere, I guess I'll have to start measuring once they arrive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, the hubs are now built into wheels and working well.

Good:
Bearings are nice and smooth with very little drag.
Solid build quality
Skewers are decent
The freehub is steel, so no worries about the cassette digging into the splines, but this does add to the weight. Personally I prefer steel (or Ti) over Alu for freehubs.

Bad:
The front hub has front disc spacing which is not compatible with my fatty fork, so for now I'm riding with a rear brake only, and taking it slow. I'm planning to make an adaptor so I can get a front brake installed. Rear Spacing would be better as disc spacers are easy and cheap for those of us with a front spaced fork.
The engagement of the rear hub isn't the best, around 12-15 points I think, so if you like instant engagement then Hope hubs are a better choice here.

I'm happy with them, especially considering the price, I'll add to this thread if I have any issues, as right now I've only done 10 or so miles on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.