Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lucky and picked these up today from a nice older couple. I was amazed at the near pristine condition. They were purchased in Vail Colorado for $1200 each in July of 1986. The gentleman had all the original papers and receipts. One is completely original and the other has an aftermarket Manitou. Aside from the flat tires and a bit of dust they are perfect. There is no chain suck marks or scratches or chips in the paint. Its not often you find twins so I thought I would share.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rumpfy said:
And they came with slicks? No kidding!?;)

Nice pick up there. :)
I doubt they ever saw dirt. There is not a scratch or chip anywhere. I thought they had been repainted at first. He actually gave me a pair of gumwalls that may be the originals. They are so dry though I would be afraid to mount them.

G

·
eastcoaststeve said:
Sandmangts,

Now that I have gotten up off the floor...

I am incredibly envious...those bike are beautiful.

Scores like this are what drive me to insanity checking Cl.

Congrats,

Steve
good chances you can "pick them up" on the bay soon ;)

carsten

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carsten said:
good chances you can "pick them up" on the bay soon ;)

carsten
Not these. Even my wife agrees we should hang on to them. It was a tough sell though. She just sees a couple of bikes. I told her selling them would be like finding your dream car in a garage and then just selling it for a few bucks. After I explained the history and the innovation to her and told her how I drooled over these when I was a kid she actually said we should keep them.

These have alot more steel than I am used to and the air here in San Diego is moist and salty. What do you guys use to protect your bikes from corrosion?

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Can I re-iterate how awesome those 2 bikes are? I usually dislike Kleins for some reason, but those early Mountain Kleins are SO cool! I guess I see them as Klein before the Attitude hype and neon fades. Tasteful, in a word. And the fact that they're woods/technical bikes!

I do think it's totally worth while trying to locate the original fork for the big one, though! That manitou will pay for the fork if you ebay it. A long 1-inch steerer = big money.

Again, nice score on the bikes AND on the spousal consent!

-richard

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.