Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over the San Diego Sea To Sea trail, and was wondering if anyone has ever done any riding accros the 67 from Sycamore Canyon? There is a long dirt trail stretch on google labeled as Foster Truck Trail, plus whatever goes around the resevoir. Just curious if anyone's been out there or know's if it's public / worth riding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J.A.M. said:
I was just day dreaming about that. It would be epic to link the top of the mountain near Julian all the way to Santee.
Hmmm, maybe I'll check this out over the xmas/new year holiday.

I ride into Sycamore from my house on the Poway side, so I guess there wouldn't be too much more effort for me to just ride up in there and check it out (unless I get hit crossing the 67 lol).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
Post something up if you do this. I happened to see that same road a month or two ago while looking at google maps and that whole area from Mission gorge up to Poway and east. Years ago I drove down Mussey Grade from near Poway. You hit a big gate way above the lake, and their were lots of no parking / no trespassing signs.

Zooming in on Foster Truck Trail, there seem to be houses at points along the various branches. My guess is that it pre-dates the reservoir and it might not be open to public use anymore. But I'm curious about it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got this email from someone running http://www.musseygraderoad.org/ - they have a couple pics of the trail on there.

Scott,

I believe the portion you see from 67 is part of the acquisition by the
San Diego County of the former Boys and Girls Club land. You might
check with the County Department of Parks and Recreation.

Thank you for respecting private property rights and inquiring first.
The land may be public (or at least portions of it) however I do not
think the county has come up with a recreational plan for its use as of yet.

From the site:
Foster Truck Trail
1873 - 1999
Ramona, California

So yeah it predates the resevoir by quite a bit lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
Thanks for posting that up. I probably found Mussey Grade in the late '70s as I was exploring the SD backcountry. The cafe was still in business; the fish camp was too, though more as an RV spot. It was a real sleepy, quiet area. I always thought it would be cool to check out the lake, but there was no where you could park a car, and no indication the road was ever open down to the lake. That makes sense about that being the road from San Diego to Ramona before the dam was built. It seemed like too good a county road to just dead-end at a gate.

When I saw Foster truck trail on the satelliete photos recently, my guess was that it was a WPA vintage fire road. Pretty interesting to find out I was off by about 60 years and it was originally a stage coach road.
 

·
Nothing to see here
Joined
·
892 Posts
I love these kind of threads that shed light on old roads, trails, and landmarks. Thanks for setting this train in motion.

Anyway, if it dries out over this coming weekend (after the expected heavy rain over Christmas), I'm going to check out Foster from 67 east/northward next week. Who's in?
 

·
I <3 Dirt
Joined
·
724 Posts
MTP said:
I love these kind of threads that shed light on old roads, trails, and landmarks. Thanks for setting this train in motion.

Anyway, if it dries out over this coming weekend (after the expected heavy rain over Christmas), I'm going to check out Foster from 67 east/northward next week. Who's in?
I can possibly go. PM and maybe we can hook up.

I do know where the Sea to Sea trail intersects at Wildcat Canyon Rd. It starts in a preserve called Oakoasis Reader Article although I haven't actually ridden that section of trail. The trail appears to descend down to San Vicente.

Ryan
 

·
Who's riding today?
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
I'm in

MTP said:
I love these kind of threads that shed light on old roads, trails, and landmarks. Thanks for setting this train in motion.

Anyway, if it dries out over this coming weekend (after the expected heavy rain over Christmas), I'm going to check out Foster from 67 east/northward next week. Who's in?
Count me in.......please....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Oak Oasis

UGH! more traffic at a low profile trail. as long as the cat is out of the bag I will go ahead and help with some direction.
Oak oasis has a pronounced "loop" trail that you can very easily find. if you stay on this trail you will not make it down to the resevoir, however there are some breathtaking views, simular to another east county trail that looks down on el cap resevoir. WIthin the "loop" you can find several forks that offer different routes, stay left and go around the peak and you will be heading on some breathtaking single track that are over the resevoir. Off of Wildcat canyon there is a parking spot and you can find the trailhead here. It is directly across the street from the entrance to the El Cajon mountain trailhead / parking lot.

There are some trails that we cut more than 10 years ago that do head down to the resevoir. We made these when it was private property and have not disclosed them to anyone after it became a park for fear of getting them shut down. I don't imagine that they would be a easily traveled trail if you were heading fromt the resevoir to Oak oasis, however from oak oasis to the resevoir . . . well, one option invovles your downhill sled, and the other can be negotialted with you cross country bike. We have headed up before, but it wasn't that enjoyable. There is a old fireroad that might hook you up to the resevoir, I have never travelled it all the way ot the end. My old riding buddies did, and I trusted them that it was rather boring.This might be the ticket to get from scamore canyon, to the resevoir, to oak oasis, to el cajon mountain, adn then to ATT. . . . .

Back in the day (late 80's) we knew the owner of what is now a county park, it used to be a privately held piece of property. This is where we would go to collect firewood for every winter. The owner would have the trees marked every year for which ones were dying and or had beatle infestation and we would be allowed to cut them down, split them and use them for fire wood.This area became a park once he died and we had to start buying our wood, instead of earning it..

This is a beautiful place that really doesn't get very much bike traffic. Please be sure to respect the area, and be very careful when turning into, and out of the preserve, traffic on this road has expotentially gone nuts over the last few years. there is a blind corner right after the entrance, watch for teh drunks that have lost all their money at the casino up the road. . . .I cannot make it this week, but after teh new year, PM me and I will be happy to hook up a ride and show what I know.
 

·
I <3 Dirt
Joined
·
724 Posts
kevmortensen said:
UGH! more traffic at a low profile trail. as long as the cat is out of the bag I will go ahead and help with some direction.
Oak oasis has a pronounced "loop" trail that you can very easily find. if you stay on this trail you will not make it down to the resevoir, however there are some breathtaking views, simular to another east county trail that looks down on el cap resevoir. WIthin the "loop" you can find several forks that offer different routes, stay left and go around the peak and you will be heading on some breathtaking single track that are over the resevoir. Off of Wildcat canyon there is a parking spot and you can find the trailhead here. It is directly across the street from the entrance to the El Cajon mountain trailhead / parking lot.

There are some trails that we cut more than 10 years ago that do head down to the resevoir. We made these when it was private property and have not disclosed them to anyone after it became a park for fear of getting them shut down. I don't imagine that they would be a easily traveled trail if you were heading fromt the resevoir to Oak oasis, however from oak oasis to the resevoir . . . well, one option invovles your downhill sled, and the other can be negotialted with you cross country bike. We have headed up before, but it wasn't that enjoyable. There is a old fireroad that might hook you up to the resevoir, I have never travelled it all the way ot the end. My old riding buddies did, and I trusted them that it was rather boring.This might be the ticket to get from scamore canyon, to the resevoir, to oak oasis, to el cajon mountain, adn then to ATT. . . . .

Back in the day (late 80's) we knew the owner of what is now a county park, it used to be a privately held piece of property. This is where we would go to collect firewood for every winter. The owner would have the trees marked every year for which ones were dying and or had beatle infestation and we would be allowed to cut them down, split them and use them for fire wood.This area became a park once he died and we had to start buying our wood, instead of earning it..

This is a beautiful place that really doesn't get very much bike traffic. Please be sure to respect the area, and be very careful when turning into, and out of the preserve, traffic on this road has expotentially gone nuts over the last few years. there is a blind corner right after the entrance, watch for teh drunks that have lost all their money at the casino up the road. . . .I cannot make it this week, but after teh new year, PM me and I will be happy to hook up a ride and show what I know.
Kev, I wouldn't worry about Oakoasis ever becoming big a mtn biking destination. It's a very short trail system for mtn bikes, but like you mentioned it's serene and beautiful with some great views. I think you can probably hit all of the trails in about 30 minutes so I doubt it will get overrun with bikes, but I'm sorry if I blew the cover on your secret stash.:sad:

If you take that outer loop which overlooks San Vicente you'll see a prominent trail with a "Sea to Sea" trail marker. I don't have a clue how far down the mtn the trail travels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just fyi - got a response back from SD County Parks.

Pretty much all of the foster truck trail is in the San Vicente Open Space Preserve, and not currently open to public use. The reply was "Proposed trails exist but no formal trails have been constructed and the property at this time is not open to the public." and "The Preserve will be open to the public in the future." Not much more detail than that so I have no clue on the timeframe they are working with.

It will make a nice extension to Sycamore if/when it ever does come on line though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
Craptasticycle said:
Just fyi - got a response back from SD County Parks.

Pretty much all of the foster truck trail is in the San Vicente Open Space Preserve, and not currently open to public use. The reply was "Proposed trails exist but no formal trails have been constructed and the property at this time is not open to the public." and "The Preserve will be open to the public in the future." Not much more detail than that so I have no clue on the timeframe they are working with.

It will make a nice extension to Sycamore if/when it ever does come on line though.
Thanks for the update. Do you have any idea why the area is closed to the public if it is part of an open space preserve?

By the way, I spent some time looking at topo maps since this thread started. Oak Oasis wouldn't seem like something you'd tie to the Foster truck trail. As far as I could see, you'd have to circle counterclockwise around the lake through the Barona Indian Reservation. Aside from the fact they might frown on that, my recollection is that the north side of San Vicente is pretty rugged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't really know - the management plan I found was dated from summer of '07 so maybe they are still getting things worked out?

http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/reusable_components/images/parks/doc/SVOSP_ASMD_6_21_07.pdf

Entering or exiting SVOSP from Highway 67 south may induce traffic problems and
safety concerns. A traffic analysis is recommended prior to any public access. An
analysis of potential access issues from Mussey Grade Road is not provided, as this
potential access point could not be assessed.

Parking
Currently, there are no parking facilities at SVOSP. There is an area available at the
entrance which could accommodate a small number of cars without resulting in
substantial impacts to native vegetation. This area has a history of disturbance and
dumping. Due to the presence of a culvert under Highway 67, which facilitates wildlife
movement, parking area designation and habitat clearing are only recommended for the
south side of the entrance. Signage and boulders or fencing should block human
intrusion to the north. Lighting should not be installed at parking area and regulations
should restrict use of the area to daylight hours.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top