Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried the Forward Components "ebb" yet? How easy is it to install, and does it function adequately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
I almost (almost) wish I'd used this instead of the sliders on my Mooto-X. Woud have looked cleaner and the chain stay length wouldn't change w/ cogs swaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
Johnny Chicken Bones said:
I almost (almost) wish I'd used this instead of the sliders on my Mooto-X. Woud have looked cleaner and the chain stay length wouldn't change w/ cogs swaps.
Well, technically it does, and since the throw is less than a normal EBB cog swaps would be a little annoying as you may need to add/subtract a half-link to get the chain tension right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Schmucker said:
Well, technically it does, and since the throw is less than a normal EBB cog swaps would be a little annoying as you may need to add/subtract a half-link to get the chain tension right.
Good point. Chain tensioning w/ crank removal would be a hassle several times a summer.

Why haven't the BB chain tensioniners taken off?
http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-b-bracket-chain-tensioner
Not as clean as the Forward Components but easy and cleaner looking than a singleator type. Chainstay length also the same. No creaking like some EBBs and so on. Seems like a valid option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,902 Posts
Johnny Chicken Bones said:
Why haven't the BB chain tensioniners taken off?
https://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-b-bracket-chain-tensioner...
If you do a search, there are several people using it successfully. Back when the DH chain retention devices were popular, I used the lower pulley as a SS tensioner (similar to the Yess product, but without the spring):

It worked find. What I did not like was how close the idler pulley was to the tire, especially if it was large volumed. To me, the eBB or Eno Eccentric hub was better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
itsdoable said:
If you do a search, there are several people using it successfully. Back when the DH chain retention devices were popular, I used the lower pulley as a SS tensioner (similar to the Yess product, but without the spring):

It worked find. What I did not like was how close the idler pulley was to the tire, especially if it was large volumed. To me, the eBB or Eno Eccentric hub was better.
Cool, good to see them in use. I knew they were out there and in use to some extent but on the SS page you can see about 100 shotty rear der tansioiners per simple clean BB style.
I actually like your modification style more than the YESS version. Most clean yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments. My GT Zaskar has a "magic ratio" of 32:20, and I've been using a Surly tensioner when the chain stretches. Probably Forward Components system is overkill for my needs.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top