Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up an old '93 Paramount Series 70 frame into a SS. This was my bike in college- sold it to my brother and it's been sitting in a shed for 14 years. So excited to get it back in action. Tange Prestige, beautiful lugs...

Anyway, back to the question: I am thinking of using the Forward Components EBB instead of an ENO hub, just because I already have a good wheelset for it and don't want to re-lace the wheels. Also, if I don't end up riding it much, I'm not "stuck" with a rear wheel I don't need and can't use on another SS frame (I suppose I could, but why, if I don't need it?). Also, with the FC EBB, I could easily choose to go back to a 1x9 (or 1x7, using the original XT thumb shifter).

Anyway (again), I've read a couple of the forums on the Forward Components EBB, but are there many folks out there using them? Looks like they've upped their prices since they started- I would be dropping about $160-$170 with shipping (I can find the ENO for about $135 before shipping, but then lacing up the wheels, new spokes, etc... no real savings).

Here's the Paramount as it is now- can't wait to start the project:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
alshead said:
but are there many folks out there using them?
Don't forget that it is a niche product from a very small company. So the answer is probably "no", but based on the comments from anyone who has one it does seem to be a very good product
 

·
Singletrack minded
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
I've just ordered on for my ala carte. There is a two week wait time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
How much "throw" do you actually get from these bb's? Enough to run two different gears? or is it more like you know the gearing you want and this takes up the slack?
 

·
Only dead people are old
Joined
·
680 Posts
amblake50 said:
How much "throw" do you actually get from these bb's? Enough to run two different gears? or is it more like you know the gearing you want and this takes up the slack?
It gives 15mm as I remember...same amount as a White Ind. eccentric hub. I set it up with a gear I prefer and have enough to go one up and one down on the rear. Your results may vary.
 

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
this spring the makers of the FC EBB are coming out with a square taper version supposedly, but ive been let down before.........
 

·
master blaster
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
ive been using one on my moots for a few months or so. never had an issue untill yesterday when the cups slipped and my chain jumped off while climbing. then again i never checked the bolts since i installed it so i guess thats an riders error.



EDIT: the hardesr part for me was the installation. its confusing trhe first time. now, i know it off the top of my head, but i was sure getting stressed the first time.
 

·
Rockstar
Joined
·
137 Posts
alshead said:
I'm building up an old '93 Paramount Series 70 frame into a SS. This was my bike in college- sold it to my brother and it's been sitting in a shed for 14 years. So excited to get it back in action. Tange Prestige, beautiful lugs...

Anyway, back to the question: I am thinking of using the Forward Components EBB instead of an ENO hub, just because I already have a good wheelset for it and don't want to re-lace the wheels. Also, if I don't end up riding it much, I'm not "stuck" with a rear wheel I don't need and can't use on another SS frame (I suppose I could, but why, if I don't need it?). Also, with the FC EBB, I could easily choose to go back to a 1x9 (or 1x7, using the original XT thumb shifter).

Anyway (again), I've read a couple of the forums on the Forward Components EBB, but are there many folks out there using them? Looks like they've upped their prices since they started- I would be dropping about $160-$170 with shipping (I can find the ENO for about $135 before shipping, but then lacing up the wheels, new spokes, etc... no real savings).

Here's the Paramount as it is now- can't wait to start the project:
My first MTB was a 1993 Paramount PDG 70. I wish I still had it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here she is

For the few of you who were interested... here she is. Might still do some upgrades in the handlebars and such once I get her out on the trail and feel out the specs. The FC EBB worked like a charm.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,902 Posts
alshead said:
For the few of you who were interested... here she is. Might still do some upgrades in the handlebars and such once I get her out on the trail and feel out the specs. The FC EBB worked like a charm.
Nice!
I would replace the front shimano chain ring with a non-ramped version, the chain derails way too easily on the shimano ring. Oh, and maybe a rigid fork...(says the retro in me)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top