Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...im looking to get into freeriding, and the such. My problem is that the most air I have caught was on my alum. HT when I bailed and landed on my face lol. I am really just looking for a bit of pointers to help me get out there, get a vp-free, and not look like a complete moron. Im in so-cal so big bear, summit, and all that good stuff is right in my back yard, yet I have been stuck in XC for far too long in my eyes. Can I just go out there, and competly thrash my HT (which I dont give a hoot about) practicing and getting to know how to act in the air, or should I learn on more capable machine? Trail and error or should I "teach" myself how to land a nice 10' gap? Any opinions/advice from vast experiance would be extreamly helpful......im a greyhound lost in a pitbull world....

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Greyhound lost in a pitbull world...lmao, i like that.

If it were me and i had the cash all saved up for a vp free then id go out and there and buy it. You can learn the basics and the general way of doing things on your xc bike (i.e dropping 2fters, basically just getting used to dropping) but if you continue to step it up then you'll just find yourself breaking components, so id just get the bike now if you know this is something you wanna do. I think since you seem to have such a strong xc background that might actually work to your advantage if your going to ride downhill (at big bear i think you said), i know i feel alot more confident riding DH because of the handling skills i get some riding tech xc all the time. Dont let what people think get in the way of you buying a bike thats out of your skill level, there are plenty of guys i see who dont need the bikes they have, but the good thing about biking is its nothing like skateboarding or bmx, no ones gonna call you a poser lol, personally id get out there and do it, start out with the minimalist of stuff and work up, you'll figure out ways to do things as you progress, thats how it worked out with me. Theres no better way to learn to get out there and do it first hand. If you find yourself having problems with a particular part of freeride/downhill then just ask or post a thread here in this forum, i see posts all the time asking for advice, everyone always gets the advice they asked for. Freeride and downhill is a great part of biking, you'll like it alot. Good luck.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
::nods::

Thanks..better response then I was anticipating....

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i must admit there is nothing worse than some noobie FR who has a V10...and cant hit more than 4'ft of air...

keeping that in mind...go and get a budget 05' FR bike but in the mean time untill they become available thrash the hell outta ur HT...id suggest something like a stinky that has a good solid build and frame and will be able to handle what ever u throw at it as you progress as a rider and as you become better you can upgrade the bike...ahhhh...keep in mind...stackin isnt as bad as it can seem...my mates have stacked 14'ft drops and got stright back up and done it again with nothing more than a bloody funny picture as a reminder...but also keeping that in mind step up as you progress dont try a 30'ft duoble tomorrow...and good luck man...

face your fears...live your dreams...

very wise words...

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Althought some might find it frustrating to see someone with a bike they dont need BJ, no one would ever say anything, and if there is someone who does, chances are they are the ******* no one likes to ride with anyways so who gives a ****? lol For the most part i think people are in the sport because they like it, and if they can afford a nice bike then more power to them, i sucked when i first started out but the people who i started riding with are the same guys im riding with today, and i like to think its because of my attitude and not my skill (which has came a long way over these past 3 years). My vote is still to go out there on the xc bike, get down the motions of dropping, (your handling skills will help you with alot of the rest in my opinion), then go get the bike you want and push things further with that. The thing i always say to a beginner about to hit their first drop is "just pull back when you get to the end", you'll figure it out quick, and like i said, if there are parts of freeride/downhill that you dont get, just ask a fellow rider or here on mtbr, you'll get the advice you need. Dont let people push you to hard, alittle pressure is good, but you know where to draw the line, once again, good luck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
instant classic
ummm isn't BMX "biking" I ride a BMX bike and I feel like I'm "biking" when I do it. is there something wrong with me????

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Go ahead & order the VP Free by the time you get it...

you'll have all the skills you'll ever need to ride it. Cause it's gonna be awhile before you get it. I bought my Bullit cause I wanted something that would climb & huck. I also wanted to get a bike I could grow into w/my riding. We all need a goal, sounds like you have one, just stay focused, don't get discouraged, by anyone. :p

Remember, "if you think your there already, you got no vision of the future". = no goals.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
The thing i always say to a beginner about to hit their first drop is "just pull back when you get to the end", you'll figure it out quick,
...funny, I keep telling my friend that, but he'll never listen. Makes for good crash footage. And if you can find some guys already DH/FR'ing to ride with, you'll learn that much faster 'cause you can watch them do their stuff...granted they do the right stuff :eek: . And don't ever do anything that doesn't "feel right" at the time. I tell my friend that all the time too, but...

And yeah, if you're going to get something, start off with quality. It's always a downer when you have to stop riding because something broke because it was a piece of crap. If you ride with the right guys, you'll never look like a moron because they'll always support you. My friend crashes a lot, but we pick him up and brush him off...and it's good footage ;)

Learn your new skills and pass it on.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help...

But what if everyone arround me is eather a druggy or has no passion to do anything that takes a toll on the body? Would it be possible to connect with people anywhere here in so cal that I can "practice" with?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gramatica said:
But what if everyone arround me is eather a druggy or has no passion to do anything that takes a toll on the body? Would it be possible to connect with people anywhere here in so cal that I can "practice" with?
Yeck! I guess you have to resort to getting riding tips by watching videos then. The Collective just came out :cool: . Just don't go too big too soon :D

I guess you could post that you're looking for riding buds, and see if anyone's willing. But with anything online, just be careful who you're actually hooking up with :(

Or hell, just get out and ride by yourself for the time being. You'll see guys riding in no time. Stop and chat with them.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Vids get my vote too......they helped me big time.

Rent some videos watch'em, rewind'em, watch'em again, rewind'em, slo-mo'em to watch what the riders are doing "before, during & after" the drop/jump/huck/stunt/trick. Small things like preloading forks and/or the ft&bk suspension, having corect body position, correct approach, are priceless info, there are endless things you'll see/notice that will payoff when riding. It'll keep you from getting injured too. Then you'll find somebody on a trail that you can hook up with to ride. They are out there just keep hitin' th' trails...you are not alone..... ;) O'yeah pay attention to their bike/clothing setups and talk to a LBS if you can, it takes all of these things coming together to keep you safe, riding & Happy. :D

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Gramatica said:
don't know where in socal you are, but i'd be more than willing to show/teach a newbie some skills....

<----- i'll even teach you how to pull that one off

·
Registered
43 Posts
The VP was designed to bring that xc rider into the dh/fr world. I think its an awesome bike for a transitional rider.
A few tips for riding at higher speeds: during your turns, have your inside up, outside pedal down, and tilt the bike more then yoru body(ie pushing your inside arm down), this will keep the weight centered and will make it so your tires dont slip around corners.
as for drops=i learned off a 3'er and just kept doing it and doing it untill i had it down pat(i also came from an xc background). after a while it just becomes natural to pull up and drop it. Whenriding steep things or wet things, the most important thing is to keep your wheels rolling. locking them up will make you lose control, and lead to a fall. Also, confidence is huge. you shouldnt have to worry about yoru bike falling apart at all during these manuvers. Confidence in yoru bike leads to confidence in you, and leads to you going bigger.
Get out htere, have fun, and if you need any help, just ask someone.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
::nods::

Im here in Chino Hills CA, right outside of riverside, and literaly 1,000 feet from chino hills state park.

and again, thanks for the info

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can relate...

Gramatica said:
Hey...im looking to get into freeriding, and the such. My problem is that the most air I have caught was on my alum. HT when I bailed and landed on my face lol. I am really just looking for a bit of pointers to help me get out there, get a vp-free, and not look like a complete moron. Im in so-cal so big bear, summit, and all that good stuff is right in my back yard, yet I have been stuck in XC for far too long in my eyes. Can I just go out there, and competly thrash my HT (which I dont give a hoot about) practicing and getting to know how to act in the air, or should I learn on more capable machine? Trail and error or should I "teach" myself how to land a nice 10' gap? Any opinions/advice from vast experiance would be extreamly helpful......im a greyhound lost in a pitbull world....
I'm in almost the exact same spot as you; I've only been riding for three months (BUT don't have the benefit of an extensive XC background... :) ). I've been wanting to FR for years, and with the help and advice of friends, a lot of research and a great LBS I've made it happen. I got a great deal on a crash-replacement Bullit, and set it up with sturdy, quality components --knowing I had many beat-downs coming my way as I was learning! It's been great; I've learned a lot and met some cool folks who have had patience and given me great pointers. Like Banshee said, it is a cool community who are supportive and try to help you out if you ask. I started at the same time as my buddy, who came from a BMX racing background; so I've been trying to learn from him and other people I've met on the mountain. Get your VP-Free (I demoed one; super-sweet ride!), buy good armor and full-face helmet and head to the ski hills. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hum...

you guys are focking bad.....I may consider it....need some funds first...Im so gonna take a loan out for the vp. But I have a major question......Who here in So Cal would like to go to a bike park with raised ladders, and some decent gaps, and drops made with a west coast twist? I have been thinking of getting a pice of land out here in the chino, chino hills, riverside area, putting some palm trees in and constructing an awsome park. Like a "west shore" type thing? Hire some bad a$$ course builders, and get something rollin? You think anything could come of my park? This is all on the drawing board, but looking into some banked ladders like just recently posted, possibly some good 8'ers into tranny, and a whole lot of DJ. Possibly a paved section for bmx'rs. I dont know, any feed back?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.